• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Saddlebags or w/o saddlebags??

mnofpeace

Scooter
I did look first, so please forgive me if i am repeating a previous posting...

I am new to the sport-touring scene.  I have 18 years of sportbiking under my belt.  a ton of trackdays, even a season of CCS novice racing.  i have only owned 600s for all of those years, and i got pretty good at riding them; 3 riding schools, 1 racing school.  A few years ago i could see the end of my pure sportbike riding, and was looking for that next step.  i was getting too old, my body just wasnt folding up onto a race-replica the way it used to.  So i looked at the next bike that i would want to enjoy.  Boom, on comes the Concours 14-sportbike heart and legs matched up with real-world/adult ergos.  After some comparisons (many many) with the FJR, i finally purchased and took ownership of a very clean 09 model this month.  In my first few rides i have found the bike a total delight to ride.  Gobs of power and torque, handling just off of my R6 trackbike (all due to weight i am sure), and when i get off of it my back and knees dont complaint.

My quandary...this new thing you ST guys call saddlebags.  Take them off of the C14 and it looks like what i am used to: a sportbike ready to eat up pavement.  Put them on the bike and it looks a little more, uummm, 'mature' and less sporty.  However, if i have to stop at the grocery store to pick up something, wow do they come in handy.  But i am also very worried, not being used to them sticking out in the back like they do, of knocking them around, or even off of the machine.  I plan on riding without them at first as i get used to the new machine, but i wanted to take a poll of sorts;

I just wanted some feedback from the populace on the subject.  Personally, i look forward to parking it next to one of the young guys at the 7-11 and having them look it over and not knowing what it is.  'Its a touring bike with a ZX14 engine in it, pawtnuh lol.'

Do you guys ride mostly with or without your side panniers during your riding?

Is there a situation where you want them off more than on?  Or on more than off?

Or do you just leave them on and never miss a beat? 

And do you even take pride in blowing away the local GSXR/CBR/ZX/YZF-R1/6 while in 'touring' mode-bags attached?

Patrick L.
Ft. Washington, Md.
09 C14 (street)
01 YZF-R6 (track)

I almost always have the bags (panniers) off the bike. I only use them for travel or if I go somewhere that I feel I need storage or carrying capacity.

i never have the bags on unless im going on  an overnighter .
I dont grocery shop on my bike either.
The bike seems effin huge ,like a goldwing with those things on.
A soft bag on the rack is all i need for day trips.

Interesting. I always have the bags on. I used to ride only sportbikes and I've gotten used to the fact that I can actually carry stuff if I want to.

I may not keep the panniers on. But for what it's worth, I do tend to keep an bag on the rear seat or rack to carry incidentals! It really isn't in the way. But it's not weather proof or secure wither though!

Only time I've gone for a ride without them was a Track Day, otherwise they stay on. Even contemplated leaving them on the for the track day, but figured they would need to be tethered for inspection.

I usually leave them off, but it is nice to know I have them if I needed to put stuff in.  With the 2008 and my height I tend to be looking right at the bags when I look in the mirrors is another reason why I leave them off...and I think it looks cooler without them too.

Always on. I tend to keep a few items with me all the time.  Plus sometimes I don't know how long I will be out and may need, a warmer jacket or liner, clear face shield for night time, or rain gear, etc. 

When I commute to work, I take them off and put a Tourmaster rear seat bag on to carry groceries and other things home. Traffic gets pretty bad so I split lanes and it makes it so much easier without the bags.

Always on!  For me, its the look i fell in love with from the beginning.  I use them to throw a hat in, i also use them to store my helmet and jacket when off the bike. 

Have fun, Ride safe!!

Hi,
I always leave my bags and my trunk on.  I ride the way I ride whether it's a quick trip to the store or two weeks on the road so I like to have my bike set up one way as much as possible.  Yeah, you need to change suspension settings for load but after that I always know how "Boston Blackie" is going to respond.
Later,
Norm

On. When I had bikes with no bags I wished they did, so the whole kit stays on the bike all the time. Lane splitting is a big no no here so it's doesn't make a difference in that sense.

As a side note I'd like to find a set of covers for it anyway... it's the "goldish" color... ::)

Off most of time....on when I am going for a long day ride or longer. They are so easy to pull off and on that i really like the bike looks either way.

I leave them on all the time, except when the bike goes in for a service.

Great place to put the helmet, gloves and jacket, and the cases are a lot more convenient for shopping than lashing carrier bags to the back seat with bungees.

The top box, however, stays off unless I have to carry large quantities of loose stuff. 

I leave them on ... because it makes the bike look less like a crotch-rocket ... meaning the cops pay less attention to it (IMO).
plus i love have the room to carry stuff.  i use the bike to run errands and to ride to work.  i can carry my lunch and dress shoes in them.

i leave my bags on all the time for multiple reasons.  my c14 is like a pick up truck...im always carrying something!  i never know when ill need to stop on the way home to pick something up ro run errands, so its nice to always have that storage ability.

as far as the way it looks with the bags on or off, thats all behind me, so it all looks the same looking forward!

Always on ...Same thing everybody else that leaves them on said .....except..... combined with the Givi 52
they carry a lot of the most precious cargo  .......BEER :singing:

Mine stay on all the time, loaded and ready to go. I keep my rain gear, air pump, tools, tire repair kit in the bags.
I just need to pack clothes and I am ready for a trip. This way I forget nothing. Still have plenty of room to pick up odd things while riding home such as a 6 pack.

Rash

On.  My left bag has my Frogg Togg rain suit, tire kit, portable compressor...  the right bag is empty, perfect place to put my helmet.  The top case has incidentals, and is generally where I put my carry bag, my lunch, glasses, gloves, earplugs, rag and cleaning stuff, insurance info, etc.  I hate carrying things in my pockets.  :)

I leave mine on all the time (even my top case). I usually keep a bike cover, air pump, toolkit, and patch kit in the saddle bags and my work stuff in my top case (or helmet & gloves in the top case when I'm at work). I still split lanes with them on, I just have to be aware of them...I already put a big gouge on my right case when I misjudged clearance trying to get around a flatbed work truck.

Other than that, I agree with MKorn...it seems like I get less hassle with the bike looking like an "old man's" bike...I've even gotten a few waves back from our friendly CHP. :)

That is very true. The police tend to cut you a lot more slack when you don't look like a MotoGP rider on the street! So having all the bags definetly can help!

Looks like you are getting both answers, on and off. I keep mine off most of the time unless I need them. I have a top case I leave on most of the time for carrying my lunch/gym bag/beer/etc in.

Mine stay on all the time.  Once you get used to them being their, it's just part of the ride.

I guess I'm a pack rat too, carrying all the same stuff like rain gear, tire repair stuff (trust me, when you need it in the middle of nowhere, you'll be glad you had it), extra liners for warmth, bungees for the stuff that wouldn't fit in the bags.

Of course I also have the 50L Coocase on the back too, for the quick storage stuff.  ::)

When I'm touring, I put on the monster tank bag, and then I have room for everything I need for a couple of weeks on the road.

Plus, it's so cool to blow away some little crotch rocket, with all that luggage hanging off the bike.  Makes their humility all that much sweeter.  :D

YMMV.

On 99% of the time. Usually have the wife with me when on the C-14. Thats what we bought it for. If I want that "free feeling" I ride the ZRX.

Majority of the time is no bags.

For me the bike is the perfect combination.

Bags off - "Old Man Ninja" (Cushier seat, Handlebar - more upright position, decent windscreen.) good for me to go to work or cruises relatively short. Have tank bag and soft pack for the rack. for some storage or small bad of groceries.

Bags on - wife can pack enough "crap" for a weekend trip. That in its self is incredible :) We can both enjoy the motorcycle. Double bonus. 8)

Bill

I only put my cases on when I'm gonna need the storage.  Usually if I'm gonna carry something small I'll use a tankbag or backpack.

I keep the bags off in case I get a little carried away and down the bike.  On my 1st 08 I was hit head on and my bags weren't on the bike so I was able to sell them for $500.

That's my 2cents

Sidebags Off unless touring.

I have a 52 litre trunk that holds what I need day to day. (tools, lock, waterproofs, spare gloves)
I also lane-split for miles and miles every day so the sidebags would be trashed by now if I left them on.
Leaving them on you are wider, have more drag, and are likely to clip something with them.

If you don't have a trunk,.... why not?

As for why I bought the Connie when what I wanted was a sportsbike,... well when yer my size ya buy what fits and adapt it to suit.
ZX14 feels like a moped after riding the C14.
The Power sure is nice though!  ;D

Mine stay on; but I wrecked one. I'm contemplating taking them off for casual rides; but I'm mostly doing over night stays lately and need them on.

ON, most of the time. This is part of the appeal of the sport-tour genre.  Why pretend to be a sport bike?  Let the others think what they want until you dust them in the turns and by being able to rack up more continuous saddle time.

S Smith said:
ON, most of the time. This is part of the appeal of the sport-tour genre.  Why pretend to be a sport bike?  Let the others think what they want until you dust them in the turns and by being able to rack up more continuous saddle time.
+1

I remember going to a C-14 seminar at the National Rally in 07 at Caanan Valley W.V.  Don't know if he was just blowing smoke or not but the Kawasaki rep told us the C-14 was designed aerodynamically to run with the bags on and that you didn't gain anything by taking them off.  I guess it's just a matter of what you like.  I prefer "Silver Belle" with her bags on.  JMO

reid53 said:
I remember going to a C-14 seminar at the National Rally in 07 at Caanan Valley W.V.  Don't know if he was just blowing smoke or not but the Kawasaki rep told us the C-14 was designed aerodynamically to run with the bags on and that you didn't gain anything by taking them off.  I guess it's just a matter of what you like.  I prefer "Silver Belle" with her bags on.  JMO

I guess it depends on how your driving at the time. But I have found in normal, not playing around. My mileage was always better without the bags on. It may not be a drastic difference, but there is a difference.
No matter how aerodynamic they make them. They will have more drag and weight with the panniers sticking out in the air. They may not be as drastic as bags of past. But they still have an effect on mileage. As does the weight of what you put in them.