• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Safe number of riding hours a day

pslshawn

Hi COGgers,

I was hoping to find an existing post on this subject, but didn't see one.  Sorry if I missed it.

For those of us that have been riding for a number of years, but not touring, I'm trying to get a sense for what a safe number of riding hours (per day) would be in fair weather when you are riding relatively hard to reach a destination.  I fully understand that this depends on a number of factors, so please don't bombard me with my stupidity (I already get that from my 3 year-old daughter). :-[

I am 55, in good health, in relatively good shape, and riding a C-14 (1-up).

Using a real scenario, the SE folks are talking about a possible spring rally in/around Robbinsville, NC.  On mapquest, from Port Saint Lucie, FL, I could take 75 or 95.  Both routes are an average 725 mls and 11 1/2 hours.

If I do the following, is it still crazy to think about covering that kind of geography in a day?....

Leave at sunrise.
Stay hydrated
Eat on the road, nothing heavy.
Take 5 min. stroll during gas stops
Not exceed 85-90 on freeway (although I know law officers are our friends, I don't like talking to them on the side of the road, so I ride relatively conservatively)

I know I won't know what personally works for me until I do it the first time, but for planning purposes, I would be curious to know what other folks are comfortable with.

Thanks a bunch!

You should not have a problem doing the scenario you are talking about. It will be a long day, but you may be surprised at how doable it is. I'd leave about 1 to 1 1/2 hours before sunrise and ride 2-3 hours and then stop for breakfast. All I consume the rest of the ride is protein bars and water, and avoid carbs and caffeine. You will be there for dinner if you keep the stops to 15 minutes.  :motonoises: :)

I ride from Wildwood FL "1/2 hour south of Ocala" to Waynesville/Maggie Valley NC about 3 times a year. Its about a 9-10 hour run & its not bad. I usually leave about 3am & arrive 1pm. I only stop for gas & take a 5 min stretch break if needed. Stay hydrated & you should be good to go 

Shawn - You are going to learn a lot around this forum and like a lot of things in life you have to want it. You sir want it  :motonoises:

Just don't ask Al for LD riding advice. His idea of normal would fuse most people's cracks together.

Have you checked out the IronButt website? http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm?CFID=17778999&CFTOKEN=97718317

And this 'other one'? http://longdistanceriders.net

After many fails at long distance riding I finally read up some. Choice of clothing makes a big difference. And about hydration; if you can drink while riding that makes life really good. Time at stops is not enough to keep hydrated and time saved at stops for eating, re-filling, walking, napping is invaluable. I have been known to unroll my Thermarest and pillow on top of a picnic table for some rest while there is a traffic jam, rain storm, rush hour, I'm tired, etc. Mama always said when you rush it takes longer.

Worst thing I have ever done is let others rush me. I hate to think of the good luck at the end of some exits I might have left on the table. My instincts have done me well and my best memories have been tangential to the plan.

I'm about to ride to Nashville - 199 miles never seemed so close as it does on a Connie.  :beerchug:

you should be able to do this ride in about 12 to 14 hours.  I generally average about 60 miles per hour after accounting for stops.  the negative side of a ride this long will be recovery from it.  last time I did an iron butt ride down to Alabama for lunch, I didn't get up the next day until about 3 PM.  that was 1200 miles in 22 hours though.

when I plan the rally, I'll be there on Thursday.  if you can come up that day, I'll be there to catch you from falling off the bike and be sure you get set up before it gets too late.  that way you can get a good nights sleep and still have fun on Friday!  :motonoises:

You fail to mention what your longest time in the saddle is to date. 

I am not a Iron Butt guy my any means.  I have done some middle distance touring, on a variety of different motorcycles.  The Concours is my first faired motorcycle, and I can assure you that the weather protection will greatly enhance your endurance. 

The ride you describe is certainly doable.  I typically need to stretch my legs every 2-3 hours on the Interstate.  If riding secondary roads where I have to stop for traffic lights, etc. I can stretch that to 4 hours, as I am putting my feet down periodically, thereby giving my knees a break. 

For pure enjoyment, I tend to plan for not more than 8 hours in the saddle, which allows me to keep fresh for several days at a time.  But if you "need to get there", 11-12 hours is doable.  Just don't expect to not have a few aches and pains the next day. 

As the IBA types will tell you, you ideally want to work up to longer distance rides, building up your core muscle groups.  Then being well rested, having the right riding gear to keep you warm (or cool, as appropriate), and hydrated are key. 

Well, 725 in a day is reasonable mileage if you are prepared. Personally, I consider that a normal day for slab running.

Proper gear for the temp range expected, and some more in case the weather is beyond your expectations. I always carry a heated liner year round. In July, 35° rolling over a pass out west made that a good decision. Not a big concern in the East, but I carry it anyway.

As far as food, I carry snacks that do not create glycogen swings and are palatable for my digestive system. CLIF bars work for me. Meal replacement at fuel stops washed down with plain water 'while strolling'. Do not eat a lunch of any size...a desire to nap will follow in most cases. I carry a water bladder in my tankbag and hydrate on the run.

Make your best effort to arrive at the TBD destination before dark. Unfamiliar roads in the dark after slabbing all day can be a bad mix. And setting your tent up in the dark can be interesting, and comical at times.

Leave early. As Dave mentioned, 12-14 hours later you'll be there. Oh, and NSAIDS can be your friend.

Cheers,
Randy

I found my range increased as I eventually dialed in the bike for comfort.  When I first started riding, my longest day was a 300 mile one way trip that seemed to really wipe me out.  Now, I would not hesitate to ride 700+ depending on the preparation / route / etc...  Also, the key to ironbutt / LDriding is not going fast, it is limiting the time you are not moving.

Sounds like have definitely considered the right gear you will need, so if you are comfortable in your riding position then no worries. Have a great trip!!!

Well like others said - what is the longest ride you have done?

I personally wouldn't ride that distance WITHOUT a cruise control. 
Since I have a cruise I feel I could do it.  Next is what kind of seat do you have?
200 miles for gas stops will be about 3 hours in the saddle, have you done 3 hour rides without getting off?
Do you have highway pegs so you can change your position around some?  Blood clots can be a problem for some people.

I agree - start early morning (or late at night) and arrive in the afternoon - even if tired daylight will help keep you awake.

Good luck - and if you do this ride, please take notes and report back here, so others can learn what you learned.  :great: :motonoises:

Just my .02 Try to avoid Atlanta rush hour 7-9 am, 4-6 pm or so Once you get to the north side of Atlanta life is generally good

who me? said:
Just my .02 Try to avoid Atlanta rush hour 7-9 am, 4-6 pm or so Once you get to the north side of Atlanta life is generally good
Bypass Atlanta all together by getting off I75 in Macon & take back roads the rest of the way, Mainly 441 & 129. It adds 1/2 hour onto your total but gets you off the super slab & I find it kinda refreshes you to get off the highway & enjoy the countryside  :beerchug: 

I've ridden many  IBA events and individual IBA rides. Some days I can do and have done thousand plus miles and felt relatively good, other days 150 miles seems too much. This all depends on you. Going to the IBA site and reading up is a good start. There are many good articles on LD riding. Essentially though it boils down to your sense of what can be done. I recommend increasing your length of riding time on each ride progressively and "build up" your sense of what is good for you. The bike of course needs to be in good shape, trip planning is comprehensive with contingency plans (I cannot over emphasis this), build in more rest/off the bike time. don't push your gas tank to E. "SEE GAS, BUY GAS"!  Get a good nights sleep for a couple day before hand. Bring high protein snacks and lots of cold water. HYDRATE!  if you aren't peeing often you are dehydrated. Getting there on time is not a life and death thing so don't make it one!

The distance you mention is not that far, unless you are not prepared. Get prepared.

Best of luck!  :great:

24 hours?
This has to be figured out by the rider, and can only be done while working up to distances.
Like Randy said, one of the worst things is to be cold, no matter what point you are in a ride. Takes too much energy out of you trying to stay warm by shivering. Body keeps your core warm, and doesn't care that you need to get to a brake/clutch lever.
I also take water and food from the tank bag while moving. During my hit-it-hard days eight to ten years ago; swipe gas card at pump while still on bike. A little more fuel if it's straight up, I'm on the pegs standing up to stretch while on the go (still do that), good saddle with sheep skin, use to use eze leaker (texas catheter) and 3.5 auxiliary tank. Force yourself to stop ever 350-375 (with aux tank) to check bike parts. good driving lights pays dividends. My 24 hour through the night rides are becoming harder for me to do, but I still manage, usually from poor planing, or being too stubborn to pull over.
I always loved to push myself. Longest day was 1775. I have some IBA plates. Still honkin'

Lot's of good info!!  We have some smart riders in this group...  the rest of you know who you are...  :pokestick:    :rotflmao:

I will whole-heartedly agree with getting your bike 'comfortable' is huge on distance rides.
Cruise Control is a huge fatigue fighter logging highway miles.
Comfortable Seat another big 'asset' in going long distances.
If you don't have highway pegs, at least get a peg lowering kit if you're tall.
Hydration kit in a tank bag is another great suggestion.  Protein bars another one!

Comfortable undergear is a nice to have.  Keep layers of clothing easy to access.
I will run early morning with my rain gear on till it warms up, then stow it once It's
warm enough.  Just that layer makes a difference.

Ear protection... long days are noisy.  Ear buds and music helps break some monotony,
just don't let it distract you.

Keep some Vitamin A handy... (Advil/Aleve)

If you can stay comfortable and alert, you've fought off the biggest problems.

Adjust your leave time to hit congested areas during off peak times.  You can adjust rest times
to delay hitting big cities during rush hour...  keep your plan flexible.  Avoid traffic as much as possible.
Make note of a 3/4 way there 'overnight spot', just in case you get too tired, you have a place to go and stay the night.

I've done the trip to Barber (Leeds Al) from Melbourne twice (~650 miles) in about 10.5 to 11 hours.
(Google Maps says 9 hours... riders need to stop... it takes longer)  Once on the OEM C-10 Bench (ooch).
Your ride is certainly doable.  Both times I could've kept going... (glad I didn't have to at that point!)

Enjoy the ride!

You guys are truly the Bomb!  Thanks for the abundance of info - it is greatly appreciated.  Just to clarify, my post made it sound like I have a need to play superman and do a crazy long day right out of the gate....not my intent at all....it could have been worded a little differently.  I was hoping to get exactly what you guys provided...the insight I don't have.  So again, thanks a bunch! 

As far as my longest run, you could almost say it doesn't count.  But after thinking about it, it probably holds many clues for present day.

In '88 I took my '86 Suzk GS550 ES (solo) from Waldwick, NJ to Terre Haute, IN to see a buddy going to grad school at IN State.  I was totally unprepared and had more balls than brains.  It's actually a very funny story.

It may very well be the reason I haven't done any touring since. :truce:  If you hear the story, you'll know why.

I'm 59 years old now, been riding about 10 years total but less lately due to circumstances.  I am finding that bad things happen after the 12 to 13 hour mark regardless of how many of those hours were spent riding.  The longest I've gone on a bike is 8 or 10 hours wandering with no destination.  My family was in trucking so I know better than to say younguns or middle aged can't do day and a half trips without sleep, but I strongly advise you to consider that 10 hours is now a limit for interstate truckers.  A bike accident that kills you is just as bad for you as a truck accident that kills you and a bunch of other people so self regulation is wise on a personal level.
I've managed to drop 3 bikes 4 times, all while in motion and all near the end of long days.  Only once was slow enough for a CDA but it was before I discovered the Concours.  The point is that small problems accumulate while judgement dwindles, eventually a dumb mistake can happen.
The moral of the story is that frequent self assessment is a necessary thing along with knowing the tricks to get the most gas into the tank.  I love the 7.5 gallons, been befuddled looking for gas in rural PA with a lesser bike.  I also plan to stop at the movies when it rains but in 40K miles have yet to see a single flick for a rain break.  At ride time the plan just doesn't read the same way.

P.S. I should remind all that there's no good way to take a nap on a bike, or even to recline.  It is a major difference from a car or truck trip and likely a source of some of my judgement errors.  Experience can be tricky that way.  Keep track of what you're experiencing that is new or different, ok?

You know, Shawn, there's no real good reason to ride the entire distance in one day. You can always stop over at my place in SC for a night. I have room  :a012:, (usually) have home-brewed beer  :beerchug:, and have welcomed lots of COGgers Floridians here  :welcome:. It would probably knock about 100 miles off your day. I can provide references if you like. :-X

That is mighty generous of you Jim, thanks.  I might take you up on that depending on where it is.  Either way, I hope to meet all you guys in Helen (and any other venue we happen to cross paths at).

I'm just south of Anderson, SC on a small lake named Lake Secession. Roughly 6 hours from Orlando.  Keep it in mind, I've got plenty of room and I'm probably going to be going to the Spring Rally.

It depends, on a lot, but many good recommendation have been made.  For me though, I find that as temperature, traffic, and miles increase, so does my chance for making a mistake.

Know the feeling. last year we went on the longest trip we have ever done, but we made one mistake. Did not give ourselves enough time. learned a lot from that trip that's for sure. and everyone has their own "personal" wall to hit. just be honest with yourself and make good decisions. Nothing worse than pushing to destination to feel like crap the following day and cannot enjoy what you rode there for.

My weakness is my own mind and expectations. The best trips I've had have been with no plans or destination points each day. Usually go further than expected.

Someone already mentioned it in the thread, but approximately 45 minutes of rest for every 4 hours of travel is a good estimate when you take inventory on the day in it's entirety. first half of day not so much, last half of the day my rest stops tend to become longer more frequent.

Enjoy!  :motonoises:

glad you thru this out there Shawn.

im going to ride from Houston area to Helen and was wondering what would be a safe distance. 

1000 miles on the map and i was considering a 600 / 400 two day trip. 

my first ride to national !  really looking forward to it.    :motonoises:

Robert said:
glad you thru this out there Shawn.

im going to ride from Houston area to Helen and was wondering what would be a safe distance. 

1000 miles on the map and i was considering a 600 / 400 two day trip. 

my first ride to national !  really looking forward to it.    :motonoises:
That is a good idea. I ride from Houston to Phenix City, Alabama ocasionally. It is 700 miles and seems a little much. Mobile or Montgomery would be a nice stopping point.

This is a very subjective question.  But simply put, it depends on YOU and your gear.  Being able to recognize when you reach fatigue.
That will all be determined by many factors.  Both within your control and outside of it.

• Health condition
  • Sleep status
  • Bike (old tech vs new tech)
  • Gear
  • Weather

If you are well slept and in good health, and you ride a bike that is comfortable for YOU, then you should be able to ride in good weather for quite a while.
I've ridden 10 1/2 hours solid before.  Was a little tired when I finished for the day, but honestly could have probably ridden another 1 - 2 hours before really needing to call it done.
At the same token, my Father in Law owns a 1995 Harley Heritage Softail.  Gorgeous bike.  We went for a long ride once, and after only TWO HOURS, I needed to stop and stretch.  Really felt fatigued.  As well as I used to own an Harley Sportster that was NOT set up well for long trips.  When I would ride it ONE HOUR to work, I would have to peel myself off that  :mad: bike, stretch my back and sore butt and get the blood recirculating to my hands.  Loved buzzing around town on that thing, but would NEVER consider taking it long distance!

The last factor is also going to be road style and condition.  If you travel routine highways with good condition, you will be able to ride much further than if you are riding twisties where you are working your body more, or bumpy roads that are jarring your body more. 

Just my two cents. 

I have said this before, but it's worth repeating….this COG forum is awesome!  I know forums have been around for a while now, but I haven’t had a need to join one until now.  I have always loved riding, but now I want to learn as much as I can about the art (and science) of touring and fortunately I purchased a Connie, not even knowing COG existed.  I have seen a lot of this great country of ours, but not by motorcycle….and I ain’t gettin’ any younger.  In the short time I have been a member, I have posted several questions, as well as bouncing all over the forum to find subjects that interest me.  Quite frankly, between reading about avoiding deer, roadside breakdowns, dehydration, idiotic cagers, bad weather, etc., etc., etc.……I may be reading a little too much….it’s all a little intimidating.  Anyway, forums obviously need the participation of the members and I know a lot of you guys have been doing this (touring thing) for a long time and also have busy schedules, so to get the overwhelming (and quick) responses is much appreciated.

So because I have no touring experience to impart yet, the only thing I can do is (hopefully) provide some laughs for all of you that have provided some valuable advice and personal experiences.

Because I am still trying to put alias’ with names, with posts, with areas and so on, I will tell the story now and promise not to repeat it at any events.  I won’t bore you with the details twice.

Disclaimer 1 - I’m sure there are much more exciting/harrowing touring stories than mine, but it is my one and only tour story and I own it….in all it’s stupidity.  By the way, I love hearing great road sagas, so please look me up at the rallies.  I’ll buy the beer.

Disclaimer 2 – Again, this story is for entertainment purposes only and these techniques should not be tried at home.

This is 100% true story; you just can’t make this stuff up!

As mentioned, in the late 80s I was riding a Suz GS550ES which I was primarily tooling around the hills and twisties of northern Jersey with.  I had taken several 1 – 2 hour rides to visit buddies, but always returning the same day, if not, the next morning.

I had some miles under me on the bike so I got the bright idea in late sep. of ’88 to ride from north jersey to terre haute, IN  (just shy of 800 mls.) to visit a buddy at school.  At the age of 28, my plan was to leave sat. morning, race out there as quick as I could, chase co-eds around for the week, and leave the following sat.  I really didn’t think there was much planning required beyond that.  We literally finalized plans the wed. night before I left.  The only smart planning thing I did was to squeeze the bike in for a tune-up before leaving.  Fortunately, or unfortunately, the co-ed chasing was the only part that worked as planned.

I bungeed a plastic bag full of clothes, borrowed my father’s over-sized North Sea sailing suit, threw a couple maps in my tank bag…..and I was ready to go (or so I thought).  No cell phone, no gps, no tool kit, no hydration system, no clue.

I left early that sat. morning, under what I remember to be pretty good conditions.  I was on the road for about 30 -45 minutes when I started to have one of those moments where the energy/life starts to drain from the top of your head through the rest of your body.  Based on the fact that it wasn’t a life or death situation, it was a relatively mild case, but it was a case just the same.  Fortunately I left pretty early in the morning so there wasn’t a whole lot of traffic on the road during ‘my moment’.  It finally hit me that I was totally unprepared for the trip and seriously considered turning back.  I think it was when I happened to glance at the map, when it hit me.  Remember, I had no LD experience at all, was on a 550, and was solo.

Well, this moment that I had was worse than I could have imagined.  In the frenzy to control my thoughts, control the bike, and convince myself that I can do this…..I completely forgot that engines need gas and that motorcycles have a reserve ****.  I was so focused on the road that I never looked down to see my gas situation.  I literally ran her dry without ever switching to reserve, and when she quit on the side of the highway outside of Bethlehem, Pa, I PANICKED.  Now mind you, I had been riding since the mid-70s, so I was well versed with motorcycle operations.

I seriously couldn’t think straight, so I left the bike on the highway, climbed 3 or 4 chain-link fences (the ones with the barbs at the top), trudged across a couple of fields, and finally found an office in an industrial park where I borrowed the phone and called my mechanic…although I loved riding, I wasn’t much of a motor-head back then.  What an idiot I was….the first question he asked me was “what about the gas?”, and my response was “the gas???”

Problem solved.  So I literally hugged every woman in the office for letting me use the phone, made my way back to the bike (with minimal blood loss), flipped the reserve ****, and made my way to the first gas I could find.  I can proudly (and honestly) say that I have never had that problem since.

As I sat getting that gas, I realized there was no turning back.

The rest of that first day went relatively well….I made it to Zanesville, OH, which was a 485 ml. day.  I thought that was pretty respectable based on how the day started. Stayed at some hotel right off of Rt.70.

Got up bright and early on sun. to finish the trip out there.  Only problem was…it was early, but it wasn’t bright. It was teeming rain from about 10 minutes outside of Zanesville  to just outside of Terre Haute.  I was drenched within 10 minutes and don’t really recall how I managed not to kill myself during those 300 mls.  Because of the weather conditions and traffic flow, I couldn’t outrun the cagers.  So I stayed in the right lane and waited for trucker after trucker to pass me.  Because my life was on the line, I got real good (real fast) at knowing how much the truck wash (both air and water) was going to push me on the shoulder.  As I recall, there were no shoulder rumble-strips back in ’88.  If so, my strategy would have been a non-option.  I considered stopping under an overpass, but I knew the front was huge and it would have killed my psyche to stop.  I also knew that under those conditions, a running bike is better left running.  So I made it to Terre Haute (shivering) and took an hour-long steaming shower…it was like the Seinfeld episode…”I was in the pool!!!”

There was no major excitement during the week, except drink, chase girls around, and wake up hung-over.  But we were good at it.

Sat. morning rolls around and I tell my buddy that I’m going to attempt a straight-thru ride, and not to worry….I will let him know when I get home.  That joke was on me!  The night before, the first Canadian High of that Fall started to descend on the country’s heartland!  When I stepped outside I knew it was chilly…after 5 minutes on the bike, I knew it was unbearable.  I promptly returned to his place and threw on every layer I had (clean or dirty).  The aforementioned North Sea suit sucked at keeping dry or warm!!!  I got on 70 and took the first major exit to find a hardware store and a heavier pair of gloves.  Got an over-sized work pair to wear over the crappy ones I had.

Determined to go straight-thru (I know, I know, stupid strategy), I rode and rode and rode and it got darker and darker and colder and colder.  The Penn. Tnpk in the middle of the state can be a lonely place on a dark/cold night.  Having said that, I’m sure most of you have traveled roads that make that look like a ride down Main Street at Disney World.

I had to make a gas stop just outside of Harrisburg and I made the ‘fortunate mistake’ of walking into the service station to stretch my legs.  There on the wall was a 12’ X 12’ map of Pa., a BIG ASS map!  I took one look at distance still needed to be covered, and said “I ain’t goin’ nowhere except to find a beer and cheap hotel”.  That was a 620 ml. day.  I finished the remaining 170 mls. the next morning without incident, but still wearing the same nasty layers.

The moral/bottom line to this story for me, was that it wasn’t the ignorance and mishaps that stunted my touring career.  I obviously learned a ton that week to take into my next run, but It was the fact that I couldn’t afford a bigger bike at the time and I knew that 550 was not going to get it done for major slab running.  So I stuck to the hills and twisties of North Jersey for the remainder of my ownership.

Now you can understand why I need to absorb as much of this as I can before I attempt it again, but not overload myself in the process.
If you got to this point in the Post, thanks and congratulations for hanging on!

Nice story and I assume you learned some things from it.

However the next long distance ride you do will be night and day different from your past experience for sure.

First is, you have a bike over twice as big - with a wind screen.
Next is they didn't have GPS like they do now and most everyone that does LD riding has one now.
You are more experienced then you were back then as with age come wisdom for most people.
I assume you have a cell phone which should keep you from climbing fences, at the least.
You have a gas gauge which should help but no real reserve switch so you still have to pay attention.
Weather forecasts are much better then they were over 25 years ago too.  So at least you could be informed if you wanted to be.

I assume if you really want to do LD rides, that you will work up to that and not start out with a 1,000 mile ride to try
out the LD ability of your bike.  So like exercising, you don't start lifting a weight that you can hardly lift even 1 rep, right?

So I think your on the right track to finding out what your bike can do (or you can do on your bike) as time goes by.

Good luck as you build up to doing what ever it is you want to do.  :great:

Robert, you need to get to the Bullfrog Rally in Fellsmere. The best of the best LD rider will be there, and you can pick some brains. Great story.

Great story.

Your first journey into the insanity is not that unusual in certain circles. Come to Fellsmere, sit around the fire, have a beverage of choice, and get some of us started about some of our escapades, and you will see that there are many others that started their motorcycle touring just like you.

And it is not always the distance that is a test of one's will. I have done saddlesore runs that were a walk in the park, and have also had days in heavy weather that 400 miles was a near death experience nearly the whole distance.

Oh, and most of us got good, or at least better, at this by trying very hard to not make the same mistakes twice...or again.

Cheers,
Randy

Shawn, your story sounds almost normal for the first time out. I did something very similar except I was on a 1967 250cc Aermmachi (probably spelled that wrong) labeled as a H-D Sprint, riding from South Carolina to Bike Week in Daytona. Okay it was half the distance of your ride but I was also on half the motorcycle. Rain, cold, break down on the side of the road, scared spitless most of the time. BTDT.  ;)

Shawn - I was once in 1st gear for three entire days. Over a dozen spills and all to cover about 60 miles. My avatar is the nearest and dearest picture to me as it was the first pavement I had seen in a long time. If you have about 5 minutes, I'll tell you all about it:) It's also how I know there's hardly any friend like a KLR 650.

:beerchug:

Ranger Jim said:
You know, Shawn, there's no real good reason to ride the entire distance in one day. You can always stop over at my place in SC for a night. I have room  :a012:, (usually) have home-brewed beer  :beerchug:, and have welcomed lots of COGgers Floridians here  :welcome:. It would probably knock about 100 miles off your day. I can provide references if you like. :-X

Like an oasis in the desert, with a quite tasty assortment of home made malted beverages.

Edit to add after a cup of Joe:

Shawn, you have a dilemma with Jax being about three hours up the road and the timing of rush hour. If it were me, I would time it to hit Jax no later than six a.m. This also gives you a three hour head start on beating the heat and, a definite bonus later in the day. It's also a three hours less that you have to deal with day time traffic.

If you're stopping at Mr. Culp's place, sunrise would be good, just hitting Jax after rush hour.

I'm out for the the spring rally, wifey and I will be Roadtrekking in the Ozarks/Hot springs area during that time frame with motorcycle in the trailer. 

Real cruise control, not just a throttle lock, will cut down greatly on fatigue. I'm getting to the point of mounting a cc on my KLR.

16-18 hours on enduro knobbies is about my limit. 

SWP_3757.jpg

I hope you have a suspension on that KiLleR!

For those who do not know - Al's infamous long ride was on a KLR :motonoises:

really good thread. Lots of info.

I have come to the point where I a void the freeways and stick with the old National ROads. Seems to leave me less fatigued than when I am dodging cars and semis and constantly watching my mirrors looking for idjuts trying to weave in and out of slower traffic. US 23 to Johnson City was a pleasure and US 40 parallels I70 along the zanesville route from Terra haute listed above. I slip onto the Interstate for 20 miles or so if I need to get through a city but I find my self more relaxed and less stressed. Watching the traffic on I70 across the field from US 40 is entertaining. Slabbing it is not my cup o tea.

I can go 8 -10 hours easy but if the wife is leading or following we stop longer and more frequently. Watching what yuou put on and in your body is the most important part of distance riding for me.