• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Safe Riding: Looking But Not Seeing

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
Good perception is something all riders need to add to their skill set AND practice often so not to get caught in a trap of complacency. Here is a brief article based on past seminars I have run that includes a bit of info on a couple of visual perception traps: motion induced blindness and  inattentional blindness.

http://www.ride-ct.com/?p=3726

Good post.

Here we were told to look for things and still missed them.

Throw in texting (and other distractions) and is it any wonder that there are so many accidents in this world?

As we age I have to assume that only compounds the issues of not seeing what might be right in front of us and we still don't always see it.

IMO keeping in (at least) somewhat good shape and being healthy usually will give us an edge over the unfit and unhealthy people.

SilverConnieRider said:
As we age I have to assume that only compounds the issues of not seeing what might be right in front of us and we still don't always see it.

The effects of aging tends to get glossed over by riders. Some research seems to point in the direction that some aging riders are naive to the changes and potential dangers. This has been a back-burner article that I may get to one of these days.

At 55 I am more alert as a rider than ever before. Riding today with all the distractions has dramatically changed the way I ride. I also think that published articles and riding techniques have not caught up to today's riding environment. Approaching intersections, following distance, speed versus flow, lane choice and position, passing on the right, etc..... the cell phone (or Should I say smart phone) has changed the game and it continues to change. Many young people and older are actually watching YouTube while driving. It's not going to stop as more people are using their phone while driving than not. Lane drifting is out of control. No articles or techniques address this new age. Road riding techniques IMO  are a decade behind or more.

In a previous thread; 4bikes said something along the lines that the more one opens their eyes, the realization is the eyes need to open even more. I didn't write it as well as he but I find that to be so true. Steve you wrote something along the same lines in your article. Is the key to becoming more visually (and the other senses also come into play I assume) aware to be less self absorbed? Sorry can't find another one word definition for the individual that is obsessed with themselves; such as an appearance obsession or other personal concerns.

Diz said:
In a previous thread; 4bikes said something along the lines that the more one opens their eyes, the realization is the eyes need to open even more. I didn't write it as well as he but I find that to be so true. Steve you wrote something along the same lines in your article. Is the key to becoming more visually (and the other senses also come into play I assume) aware to be less self absorbed? Sorry can't find another one word definition for the individual that is obsessed with themselves; such as an appearance obsession or other personal concerns.

Dana - I believe the words you are looking for is situational awareness. Check out this info I just posted.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php?topic=66127