• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Safety Vid from CHP.

How about a video documenting all the avoided accidents from motorcyclists every day(you know, the mature riders that don't ride at 100mph in rush hour traffic).

Yes, bikers have a zero chance against winning vs. a cager, but a huge advantage to avoid wrecks with cagers.

Instead, scare everyone off bikes.  I love California........this mentality is much more wide spread than just this video.

\off soap box

If this was done with public money, we should be outraged. No more than a public warning video with very little by way of education. More like advice from a couple of uniformed riders who ostensibly could be viewed as experts, of which they might be, however they are not educators. Sprinkle in a few tales of death and destruction from a couple unfortunate family members and friends and there it is, nothing substantive. Money should be spent on proper education for all motorists and not just not warnings of the dangers. Afterall almost 40,000 automobile riders die each year in the USA.

The videos we used to have watch in traffic school in California (i.e., go traffic school or see insurance premium double) were often quite gruesome.

Greg is right, for every one of these types of incidents, we who ride with skill, maturity, experience, and training avoid accidents thousands (if not more) a day.

Just this past Sunday, I was riding home from having "brunch" (at 2pm? so we got "distracted" on the way there) with my mc when someone pulled 1/2 way onto the road from a side street. This was farm country, just down out of the mountains, and its my least favorite type of road to ride on.

Because I've attended at least a dozen MSF classes over the years, and made it a point to benefit from them, and done Total Control, and uncountable track days, this is what happened. Its exactly what happens for most of us in this situation.

1) I was scanning and evaluating potential hazards and calculating escape paths constantly as I rode.

2) I noted the big tuna boat sitting on the country lane about to pull out on the county road. Since there were no other hazards (including no on-coming traffic) my vision focused on the cage.

3) As I approached I saw the front wheel turn 1/4 turn and to the right, indicating a turn in progress.

4) I flashed my HIDs at the cage, and began to slow.

5) Despite attempting to gain eye contact and multiple HID flashes (you can't see that big freaking blue light? are you BLIND?) the cage driver rolled out partway onto the road.

6) Choice of escape. a) stopee, full on panic braking and rear tire coming off the ground - evaluation : adequate, but inherently dangerous on its own.
                                b) immediate counter-steer - evaluation : DO IT !

7) Purely instinctual counter-steer put me in the left lane as I went around the cage. Cage slammed on brakes and FROZE halfway onto the road.

Any other reaction would have meant going down, or worse.

Good job, Privateer! 
Interesting that you opted to take the time to flash your headlight though.  I, usually, suggest that one NOT flash the headlight as many cage operators interpret that as a "go ahead" signal. 
The take-away points: Pay attention. Have a plan. PRACTICE the maneuvers so they become automatic.

Ranger Jim said:
Good job, Privateer! 
Interesting that you opted to take the time to flash your headlight though.  I, usually, suggest that one NOT flash the headlight as many cage operators interpret that as a "go ahead" signal. 
The take-away points: Pay attention. Have a plan. PRACTICE the maneuvers so they become automatic.

I flash from quite a distance away, in hopes if they are daydreaming the flash will focus their attention. I don't count on it, and its not part of my evade/escape routine.

Based on my observations over 40+ years of riding, I think it is pretty effective.

In this case, I could have launched a stinger missile at the cage and it wouldn't have gotten the driver's attention. They didn't see me until they were seeing me ride in front of them, at about which time they heard me, and thats probably what caused the brakes to be put on. 

But in any case, my high beam flash was a long time (in relative terms of a bike running at 60mph) before it became an evade situation.

In fact, the only controls I interacted with from initiation of evade to completion, was the left handgrip. Just a good hard push on the left handgrip.

Watch my ZX14 dance !