• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

saggy front end (no not my ex wife)

surfin_phil

Big Wheel
Hi Guys

Just bought a 2005 Connie.  It's pristine but the front end pretty much bottoms out with hard braking.
There are risers under the standard bar mounts so I'm wondering if they also lowered the suspension.
There is basically nothing there up front.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Phil

Check the adjusters (they will be under the circular plastic covers if it has risers on)
If they are screwed all the way out it will be a bit soft.
Check the fork oil level.
Check that the fork tubes have not been moved up the triple trees.
The front is a little soft on the bike that's why many put different springs and oil in, but check the basics above first!

^-^

What do you weigh?  I'm picking up a set of Sonic springs (1.2kg) due to the girth of my butt. :) 

Seems a common issue with this guys.  They are sprung somewhat soft.  I plan on 15w oil and 1.2kg springs, hoping it'll keep the weight where it belongs.

:beerchug:

I've run various springs, and the best setup I've personally found is stock springs with about 4" cut from the soft (tightly would) section, and 15 wt oil. Of course now I have tuned emulators and a fork brace, and the front end really works surprisingly well. Steve

OK, so to answer the weight question, I am 225lbs.
I did see in the owners manual something about it being setup for 150 lb ish or so.
Could a 150lb person keep one of these from falling over?
Just wondering.

Anyway, what is a good source for heftier springs, cartridge emulators and whatever else will make it work as well as the rest of the bike?

Smurfinphil, I don't know about a 150 pounder keeping it from falling over, but a 145 pounder can, if that helps :-*

That said, the bike handles real nice and smooth with a passenger on it.  Without, it's a bit, well, like me and the bike don't weigh enough to load the suspension enough.

She will feel heavier, esp at low to no speed, with a full tank (as that is about 50 pounds up high).  Even without, turning from a stop, and stopping without getting the handlebars straight can make any pounder lose her to gravity.

Mark

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
I've run various springs, and the best setup I've personally found is stock springs with about 4" cut from the soft (tightly would) section, and 15 wt oil. Of course now I have tuned emulators and a fork brace, and the front end really works surprisingly well. Steve

Steve, could you tell me what length spacers you ran once you cut the 4" off the springs?

Thanks for the input.  I called Racetech and ordered the 1.00kg/mm lowering kit.
It's a cheaper way of getting both the springs and emulators, you just use the standard top out springs and it stays at standard height.
Will probably install this weekend.

Stay tuned.

Phil.