• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

schuberth C3 pro review

max1138

just spent 6 hours in my new schuberth c3pro.http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/schuberth-c3-pro-north-america-helmet?utm_source=product&kwd=&gclid=CNCBpb6n7swCFZA2aQodN_0B1g  got it on a discount at revzilla for $629 for the closeout north american graphic in white. my review as follows.

#1 AIR this thing flows more and better air than any lid Ive used, the top vent is good you can feel air incoming on a 72 degree day. the front vent flows nearly too much it really puts a lot of air in your face and its on/off no adjustment.  I have a gmax gm58 which was webbike worlds pick of the year that has like 7 big vents on it, this works better.

#2 fit,  medium fits my 57cm head a bit tight, 57  falls in the medium range but its well fitted shall we say, if in between sizes definatley go up.

‪#‎3 fit‬ and finish, fit and finish are what you would expect from a lid in this price range, that is to say perfect. the liner feels like the stuff arai used to use, very soft and comfortable. no loose threads no loose snaps or other things that you find on lower end helmets. the people with jay leno-esqe jawlines are gonna have problems, its tight going on and off and with the top swinging down and the built in chin curtain doesnt leave a lot of room forward. you will learn to pull outward on the straps going on or off or have stinging ears. really stable in airflow, standing in full airflow at 80mph I twisted my head up and down and sideways full range of motion and couldnt get it to to pull or buffet.

#4 noise, supposed to be the quietest lid on the market, is OK a little quieter than my shoei qwest but not the end all be all super quiet thing. its good but not outstanding on noise. odd whistle on left side where the wind will catch the inner shield mechanism. doesnt do it constantly just in rough air behind trucks mostly. theres a little extra noise with the top vent open and the front makes
a whoosh sound, but given the amount of air that flows thru the front vent some noise is a given. ill live with a bit of noise for the amount of air this thing puts inside on your face. i have a cut down stock shield on currently  that is cut below the flip mounted on madstad brackets so it makes a lot of airflow.
if using a bigger shield i would expect the noise to subside substantially. looking at an mra x-screen tour shield as an option for a summer shield.  the ceebaylies euro that i use for winter is already put away but it might be worth swapping back just to test

Overall I have to rate it as overall as a really good helmet. the price is eye watering but you would pay that for a top line arai or shoei and you get a built in sun visor and a flip front so its price comparable with other premium helmets. dont regret spending the $$ on it after the first day. time will tell if it holds up to its initial promise. i need to get my sena 20s mounted on it  if I can find the sticky mount and see how that affects the overall noise levels.

have to add, got out on the klr today and did the standup test,  with much less shield and clean air going over it it is the quietest helmet i've ever ridden.  if i needed a lid to ride a naked bike this is the one i would buy just for that aspect of it. i thought the claims of super quiet were BS, its not it really is quiet in clean airflow.

I also got a C3 Pro a few yrs ago. Twas my fave lid --- esp liked the ratchet strap thingy.

But it's taken a back seat to a Shoei Neotec. It's mo comfy & way quieter. Me likey  :great:

really, ill have to try one just for a gag then, ive obviously got too much tied into this one to swap and its really good but now i wonder.

Max,
My Local BMW dealer has a try it on deal with helmets so I got to try both the C-3 and a Neo-Tec before throwing down the money. I really want the full on C-3 but the Shoei was just as quiet but less money. I love my Shoei. I really liked the C-3 as well though. fit and finish was excellent. Very nice helmet and the only other one I would consider when replacing my Neo-Tec.
Matt

I too went with the Neo-Tech...my reasoning was this... I also bought the Sena 10U which is helmet specific.  The "battery pack" goes at the rear of the helmet at the neck roll and I was afraid it would block the exhaust on the C-3 Pro since it's rear vent is at the neck roll.  I have found the Neo Tech very quiet and the internal "sun shield" works fantastically. Plus the pin lock shield works like a charm when it's cold (not that it gets that cold here in the desert of AZ) but I like to ride north into the mountains when it is cold.....

Sailor_chic said:
Thanks for the review. Ive been thinking of getting one of these.

I don't think you can go wrong with the C-3 Pro, especially if you want a helmet with graphics, they have a much better choice of graphics.  The helmet flows a ton of air and is very quiet, of course that's relative, if you start hanging "stuff" on the outside of the helmet it affects the "quietness".  I chose the Shoei Neo Tech for a different reason which I explained in a different response.  I can say that the most prevalent complaint I have seen for the C-3 is the "tightness" of the cheek pads, and some people complain about the forehead padding being "tight".

sounds about right on the forehead and cheekpads, as I said they are well fitted. but a bit more wearing  (like to the national rally) and it should loosen up to just right.

an update,  i rode this lid to the national rally in helen and back and a weeks worth of riding in between.  it holds up to its promise.  only issue is the ear pockets for speakers and my sena 20s. the speakers are not especially thin and the cutout pockets arent quite deep enough, thought it was good to go at first but after a few hours they press in too much making my ears hurt. ill have to take out maybe 3mm of foam and get them further away from my ears. other than that no issues, no fogging with the pinlock in and given the amount of air flowing thru the chin vent i dont see it being an issue anyway.  the ability to swing the front up and get some air on your face while trolling thru town is great. leave the inner visor down and no bugs in the eyes.  this also works on the highway behind a big shield but its not recommended, theres even a sticker on the helmet saying dont ride with it up. 

I bought the C3 Pro with the SRC communication system and the women's version for my wife. Super quiet on the Connie, and super "quieter" on my GL1800 Goldwing. SRC communication system is the best ever. Rider to rider is amazing. Phone system is super easy to use. Bluetooth pairs easily, and those on the other end of the conversation have no idea I'm on a motorcycle at 75 MPH. Wind noise on either bike is very minimal, no buffeting with the Madstad on the Connie. A lot of money but how much is your safety worth?

I just picked up a C3 Pro on the same sale at Revzilla, which puts the cost below the Neotech. I wanted this hemet for a long time, but waited for the right price. My issue with the helmet is I'm between a L and XL. The L is too small and the XL is too big. Schubert only makes to shell sizes XS - L and XL - XXL. So there is a big difference in shell sizes between L and XL. I tried on a Neotech in L and it fit well and has a smaller shell. Schubert suggested I try larger check pads for the C3 Pro, which added another $60 to the cost. For those that have the C3 Pro, is it true that the helmet is better for a rounder head and the Neotech is better for a more oval head shape? Also does anyone have the same experience of needing a larger size in the C3 Pro than the Neotech?

One of the bigger complaints I have heard with the Schubert is that the visor cannot be left in a cracked or slightly open position. When I am riding around 45mpg, I like to have the visor slightly open to let in air. The visor feels a big more flimsy on the C3 Pro than the Neotech. Can anyone speak to this?

mms said:
.... For those that have the C3 Pro, is it true that the helmet is better for a rounder head and the Neotech is better for a more oval head shape? ...

From what I've read, the C3 Pro is for a slightly narrow head vice the Neotech which is more neutral.  So it's the opposite of what you said.  The Neotech is for a more round head shape and the C3 Pro is for a more oval head.

Helmet reviews by shape.. :)

mms said:
....My issue with the helmet is I'm between a L and XL. The L is too small and the XL is too big. Schubert only makes to shell sizes XS - L and XL - XXL. So there is a big difference in shell sizes between L and XL.

This is a known issue.  Webbike World says, "A liner option is also available that essentially converts a size XL C3 Pro to a half-size smaller to bridge the gap between L and XL head sizes."  If I understand the article correctly, this can be done by using the standard C3 liner vice the C3 Pro liner.

Apparently, if you do this, you lose all the benefits of the upgraded liner offered in the C3 Pro vice the C3.  :eek:

Thanks for the reply. I called Schubert about this and they said the article was wrong. The liner in the XL C3 Pro is their thinnest liner because the XL shell is their largest (of the two shells they make). The only thing that can be done is to add larger cheek pads.

mms said:
.... The liner in the XL C3 Pro is their thinnest liner because the XL shell is their largest (of the two shells they make). The only thing that can be done is to add larger cheek pads.

I believe that statement would support Webbike  World's article. If the C3 Pro's shell is too large with original liner (thinnest one)...the thicker C3 liner from the non Pro helmet used in the C3 Pro helmet would make the helmet fit tighter. :motonoises:

I misspoke. The hemet liner for the XL is 20mm. which is their largest within the category. I can only exchange an XL liner with a 2XL helmet. That liner is smaller at 12mm. So I misspoke, but Schubert saying the weblike article was wrong. They also did say that their helmet is better for a rounder head, which is what the saleswoman at Revzilla said as well. I think my problem is I am between sizes and am trying to fit an oval head into a round helmet. Neotech it is. I had my heart set on the C3 as it is really nice and intercom system looked really good.

Specs from Revzilla.

Schuberth C3 Helmet Crown Liner

Replacement liner for Schuberth C3 Helmets.

Helmet liners are interchangeable, but only within the groups listed below. In other words, a 2XS liner may not be used with an XL helmet.

2XS through SM size helmets
MD through LG size helmets
XL through 2XL size helmets
3XL size only
Crown Liner thicknesses are listed below:

2XS - 26mm
XS - 21mm
SM - 20mm
MD - 30mm
LG - 12mm
XL - 20mm
2XL - 12mm