• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

scratches on visor

mellow yellow

Street Cruiser
Hi all, I have a couple of scratches on my helmet visor. can I somehow buff the scratches out, or do I have to replace it.? thanks :)

It depends how deep they are. Try a good plastic polish like Novus. They use a three part system that polishes heavy, medium, then fine scratches. It works most of the time. But if the scratches are too deep. Then it's time for a new visor!

I've used the Novus products with fairly good success. Key is to take your time and use plenty of the product and firm (but not too hard) pressure. I agree with BBAR that you may want to consider a new shield. It took me several hours to polish out a couple of scratches that were fairly deep. It comes down to "what's your time worth?"

guess I'll be purchasing a new visor, don't have several hrs. to spend doing the " wax on,wax off" routine. thanks for the responses. :)

From an internet search :)      http://www.novuspolish.com/  http://www.amazon.com/Novus-Plastic-Polish-Scratch-Remover/dp/B001J7EVCQ    Photo
315QLuynPaL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Wonder if the plastic head light lens reconditioning kits would work.  I've used the 3M kit on a couple cars, and it was pretty painless.  Uses progressively finer abrasive disks to take off haze, etc.  Just need a cordless drill or air powered drill.  Since it's a wet process, a corded drill is NOT recommended!

What the heck, for $18 at WalMart, could be worth a try.  If it doesn't work on the shield you're gonna toss away, at least it's practice for the cage's head lights that are or soon will be needing it.