• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Seat Comfort and Heat?

bebeverly

Big Wheel
I have a 2008 C14 ABS that I have put about 10,000 miles on.  I road it from MA to MD to CA and WA last year, but after this shipped it back east from Seattle to MA.  The reason that I did not ride it back east was the uncomfortable seat and the excessive heat experienced above 85 degrees.  My butt got so sore that I had to take some over the counter pain pills to make my Seattle destination.  I am 6'-2", weigh about 295, and have a 30" inseam.  I have not ridden the bike much since the cross country experience.  However, I love the bike because of its power, speed and handling but am very down on the comfort in riding.  Fortunately, I have other bikes to choose from that are much more comfortable but are not nearly as exhiliarating to ride.

Anyway, my questions are:

1.  What have C14 riders done to improve seat comfort and how successful was what you did?
2.  Anyone aware of a retro solution to the 2008 heat issue other than the "heat shields" for your feet and shins?  :'(

I think you will get many replys about replacement seats.  I havnt changed mine yet, but there seem to be some very positive seat replacements out there now for the C14

as far as the heat issue, i am ordering some of these this week.  I have read a few reviews within this forum for these, and they seem to work great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Concours-14-GTR-1400-Heat-Shields-/270739445466

hope this helps...

I own a 2009 Concours 14 and drive daily year round...the past month (July) it has been over 100 degrees every day here in Kansas.  During the week I drive over 100 miles round trip to work and home each day.  With respect to the heat, especially on the riders right leg/foot, I've found it to not be a problem when I wear good shoes, or general protection (pants) on my lower right leg area.  Currently I wear KLM air pants that breath fine at plus 100 temps and I don't even notice the heat on my right side.  This is not to say the heat is not there just that wearing good pants does give you protection from the hot air flow...I've ridden in shorts and felt the scorching heat...but I've ridden other bikes in shorts too and can say the same or worse with hot exhaust pipe scars to prove my point.  At my age I don't ride without leg protection anymore and I'd offer this as one option.

The first summer that I owned my connie I cut out some car mud flaps to fill in the space between the lower fairing and engine where the hot air blows on your leg on the right side.  This cut off the heated air flow completely and would probably work fine if you were so inclined.  Since I ride in the winter I removed the cut-outs when winter hit and have not put them back since.  Maybe you should consider doing this quick and easy mod if you want a second option for the blowing hot air.

As for seat discomfort, I am 5' 11" and 190 pounds...my inseam is 31 inches if that matters.  I have not had any problems with my stock seat at all, including long all day rides.  I've found my stock seat to be the best seat I've had on a stock bike.  I've never experienced numbness.  (I suppose I am just lucky and my butt fits the connie, he, he) I've read of others replacing their seats and still having discomfort as well as lowering foot pegs and lowering the bike itself...so I wish you good luck with whatever you try with respect to the seat issue you are having.

Corbin seat here with the heated option (no pun intended to your other question) and removable passenger backrest. Great seat IMO, mama loves it too...  :13:

c2.jpg

IMG00068-20101213-1610.jpg

I'm another person who went with a heated Corbin. I used a Alaskan sheep skin over it. It was a great combination. Although keep in mind that Corbin's do take time to break in. So I didn't use the sheep skin as much as I could until I felt the Corbin was broke in shaped nicely to my butt. The first cool morning or cold rainy day, you'll love that heated seat.

Thanks to all who replied with the great ideas that have worked for you.

I am going to give Spencers Moto Care a go at rebuilding my stock seat for me, cover it with a sheepskin cover from Alaska Leather, and install a set of the recommended heat shields to see how these work together for me.  If the seat mod is not as successful as I hope, then I will go with a new seat such as the recommended Corbin seat.

Keep the shiny side up! ;)

Biker Bruce
C14, FLHTC, FXDX

I've been looking at the Sargent seat aould like to hear from people who have them on the good and bad.

telejojo said:
I've been looking at the Sargent seat aould like to hear from people who have them on the good and bad.

I never bought a Sergent because I found they make me feel too crowded on the seat. I found little if any room to move around. The do have a nice thermostat controlled heat system if you go for that option. But it's also more involved to wire. They seem like decent quality and others do like them. I found the Corbin much more roomy for me on the C14. But I do have a Sargent on my FJR. It's weird how the same brands seats on different bikes can fit you so much different.

I'm also looking at the Russell solo it looks like it give your legs more support,long rides and the inside of my upper legs are raw.............

I noticed a big difference after putting on the Targa tank bra. It reduced the heat I would feel coming from the tank.
I also took some car floor mat, the heavy rubber type, and cut it to fit over the top along side of the glove box on both sides and draped it down to about the area where the lower fairing stay mounting bolt is. I just taped in into position. It was very effective in forcing the heat down instead of straight back where you sit. I basically expanded on the idea Kaw had with the rubber flap they already have installed in the engine compartment.
CAUTION: too much blockage can increase engine temperature so test it out before making any long trip.
Last year I took a trip west and after riding in 90+ degree heat I needed to do something different. This year we rode several days at 100 degrees and it was much more comfortable, hot but nothing like last year.
As far as the seat goes last year I was on the stock seat, this year on the Kaw gel seat. That also made it better. I still want something more comfortable but the gel seat was way better over the stock seat. We had several 400+ mile days and I reached my limit on the gel seat. Some highway pegs to change foot position would have helped.
It can be a challenge to get this bike personalized for comfort. At least that has been my experience so far.

I have the Sargent and love it.  5'10" 250 lbs, 30" inseam.  I am not an iron butt irder, but i have done many 250+ mile days on the bike and a bunch of 500 mile days.  You get Monkey Butt, but I have yet to experience a seat where that does not happen.

millsan1 said:
I have the Sargent and love it.  5'10" 250 lbs, 30" inseam.  I am not an iron butt irder, but i have done many 250+ mile days on the bike and a bunch of 500 mile days. 

You get Monkey Butt, but I have yet to experience a seat where that does not happen.

:-\

ginormous-monkey-butt-20161-1240326062-6.jpg

Biker Bruce said:
Thanks to all who replied with the great ideas that have worked for you.

I am going to give Spencers Moto Care a go at rebuilding my stock seat for me, cover it with a sheepskin cover from Alaska Leather, and install a set of the recommended heat shields to see how these work together for me.  If the seat mod is not as successful as I hope, then I will go with a new seat such as the recommended Corbin seat.

Keep the shiny side up! ;)

Biker Bruce
C14, FLHTC, FXDX

Biker ...

I have had several saddles worked by Spencer in FLA for several bikes.  I don't think you will be disappointed in his work or the comfort factor gained for the price paid.

You're a bit larger than me ... I'm 6'2" and 215# with 34" inseam. 

You will need to heed packing the OEM saddle, tho.  If it is toooooo large a box, you will pay over $100 just for shipping. 

Also, you don't have to go to Alaska (or order from there) ... you can get a sheep skin in Shelburne Falls, MA for less than $40.  I have a couple from there and they work well.  Many sizes/colors to choose from, too.

BTW ... I have 2 'extra' saddles for the C14 that I plan to have worked on.  I  have a Spencer's saddle with the LD insert and a back rest.  I'd be happy to loan you one of my oems while your's is out to Spencer's.  Altho, that will only be about 7-10 days depending on his work load.  He'll help you out on that.  And, I have a box that the saddle will fit in perfectly.  Just sayin' .... your choice.

Where in MA are you located?

I am very happy with my Sargent LOW seat.  I am 5' 8" about 185 lbs with a 30" inseam.  The low option is way better for me.  These after market seats are expensive, but worth it.  I can easily do 650+ miles per day with no issues.
Hope this helps you.
Doug