• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SECOG NC RTE August 9, 2014

Sport rider

Iron Butt
Please mark your calendars for a NC RTE planned for this date.  The destination is The Snappy Lunch in Mt Airy NC.  Yes, it's up near the VA border, but after reading the attached article, how can you pass this one up?  ;D

Mt Airy is just down the mountain from the BRP, so an afternoon ride up to Mabry Mill would be a good ride after lunch!

This place is a tourist attraction and weekends are usually busy.  Plan to arrive by 11 AM to get in line so that we can get lunch before they close at 1:15.

Link to the event on the calendar:
http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=207217&mo=8&tDate=%7Bd%20%272014-08-16%27%7D

Your mouth will be watering after reading this:
http://www.foodrepublic.com/2012/03/26/nc-pork-chop-sandwich-snappy-lunch

Dang!  :mad:  No good way for me to get there unless I 'slab" the entire way.  :'(  Maybe I can convince SWMBO to make it a Friday/Saturday trip.  >:D

I did that to a GA RTE last year.  I slabbed down on Saturday just in time to make lunch, then spent the night in Clayton.  We found a nice little restaurant/bar with a band playing outside Saturday night that was in walking distance of the hotel.  that way we stumbled home after the band finished!  LOL

Dave,

Wife and I are in Mt Airy several times a year, thought I would share this info.

Snappy Lunch is a big time tourist attraction and can have , LONG- LONG lines to get in, especially on weekends. They stop serving at 1:15pm and turn people away once they reach seating capacity. If you have a group coming in you really need to be in line by 10:30 - 11:00am.

Kim

This is coming up the end of the week.  don't forget to sign up and more importantly, SHOW up!  ;D

Roger....don't be late this time!  :rotflmao: :nananana:

I'm in.  I'll leave Lake Wylie, SC around 8:00.  It's 2 hours away by slab and a little longer by other routes.  Squirrel Spur Rd between Ararat and Meadows of Dan, VA is pretty interesting.  I rode it in June on the way to Marietta, OH. 

Alf

Ranger Jim said:
Dang!  :mad:  No good way for me to get there unless I 'slab" the entire way.  :'(  Maybe I can convince SWMBO to make it a Friday/Saturday trip.  >:D

178 up to Brevard, then 276 up onto the parkway.  follow it all the way up to Fancy Gap and then 2 down into Mt Airy.  easy peasy! :D

Alf, I'm probably going to take 801 and 601.

A little rain doesn't hurt too bad.  I have to double check my rear tire for wear.  It looked a little round in the middle (like me) the other day.  Who else is in by the way?  Y'all aren't going to let a little rain prevent you from going are you?

Alf

8 of us so far.  might be iffy depending on the weather.

Being the eternal optimist, I'm looking for it to be scattered showers.  hopefully we'll miss the scattering.  ;D

Made it home a little while ago after figuring out that N means North on the GPS.  We went the wrong way and ended up on 89 North.  My fault for neither paying attention nor following GPS that kept telling me to turn around.  We made it up into the clouds and  onto the BRP. 

GPS decided to punish me for not listening to it and took us down a road with piles of gravel that turned to dirt twice and dumped us back on the parkway.  Fun.  We hooked up with 21 South and descended into Elkin.  That road would have been much more fun sans the fog and wet roads.  We picked up 77 and slabbed the rest of the way home. 

Thanks All.  I can say that I ate in Mayberry at the infamous Snappy Lunch.  Now it's time for an oil change.

Alf

We ended up with just 6 people for lunch.  I'm sure the threatening weather had something to do with that.  However, it was nice to meet and see everyone!  Here's 5 of the 6 of us.  Denise was the one taking the pic.  hmmmm....maybe I could photoshop her in.  ;D

We really didn't get too wet at all.  There was a bit of rain, but nothing very heavy, so the rain gear was more than sufficient.

Next time COG guarentees better weather.  :-X

Attachments

• DSC_0712 small.jpg
    DSC_0712 small.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 104