• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SECOG Spring Rally/Roman Roast, GA*CANCELLED*

IronButtAl

SPRING COG RALLY - DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS
As posted by Tom Sills, Rally Master/event host for this event

WHERE:  ROME AND CAVE SPRING, GEORGIA
WHEN:    MAY 8 - 11

Come one, come all!!  BBQ, Bikes and Music are yours for the taking.  Sanctioned BBQ competition held on the banks of the Oostanaula River in downtown Rome, Georgia with camping and hotel lodging located in nearby Cave Spring, Georgia.

Everyone is welcome to the Spring Rally which takes in the 4th Annual Roman Roast on the River Barbeque Competition and Festival held the second weekend in May. The barbeque competition is sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbeque Society and will offer competitions in both professional and back yard categories. Enjoy tasty BBQ, family fun and the arts & crafts along the banks of the Oostanaula River at Ridge Ferry Park in Rome, Georgia. Last year's event hosted 80, count'em, 80 BBQ contestants!!  Excited to announce that on Friday evening, May 9 there will be live music! Gates open Friday at 6:00pm! Hope to see you there. Tickets to the BBQ competition are in addition to the registration fee and can be bought at the event. Tickets will cost $10 for Friday night competition and concert and $5 for Saturday competition.

Overnight camping and limited lodging will be available at Cedar Creek RV and Outdoor Center (www.bigcedarcreek.com) located outside of Cave Spring, GA.  Those seeking hotel accommodations are encouraged to try the following:

Creekside Inn Motel                            Hearn Inn (B&B), located in Rolater Park

1 Georgia Ave                                    13 Cedartown Street

Cave Spring, GA 30124                        Cave Spring, GA 30124

(706) 777-3887                                    (706) 777-8865

There are also numerous chain hotels located en route between the Rally site and the BBQ competition:

http://hotelguides.com/place-maps/georgia/map-cave-spring-ga-hotels.html

In recognition of Sunday being Mother's Day, the rally campground will be available Wednesday night for those wanting to visit and head out on Saturday.  Area rides are being mapped out for Thursday and Friday that will entertain and inform. This area of Georgia is FULL of fun roads and LOTS of Cherokee Indian and Civil War history.
Event and registration page here.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDetail.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=192993&mo=5&tDate={d%20%272014-05-02%27}

Wish I could make this one. Have to be in Robbinsville NC with 500 or so Mini maniacs and my wife during that week. And then back to Tampa for a 10k race she has to run Sunday. Hoping this might pop up again in the future. Timing just didn't click this go round.

Mike

After a brief tour, Rome, GA has become one of my favorite SouthEastern cities. Here is a town that not only preserves its historical significance, but also dove head-first into renewal and development of both its Main Street charm and its economic potential. After learning how this town runs things, all I can say is, "Bravo!"

I also toured the campgrounds for this rally and WOW they are SWEET! Private and hilly, secluded but very near town, a river runs through it, you get the idea. Nice clean bath houses and a staff expecting anything we can throw at them--not the "nickel/dime you to death" kind of folk, but the enthusiastic, bull-by-the-horns kind of place. I loved what I saw there and I'm anxious to camp there. The group camping is in a grove of mature old oaks...just idyllic....

And a BBQ competition, how could this POSSIBLY be anything less than stellar! It's hard enough to make bad 'Q, but when everyone for miles around is competing to show you the best 'Q they can produce, well that's always a treat! Ain't nothing like a bunch of Southeastern full grown adults swiping away with rubs and mops and spices and mesquite chips, and anxious to prove how good they can cook, to make for a smokin' good time!

I think if you don't open up your calendar for the Roman Roast, then you're really missing out. We could all stand to emulate the drive, ambition, and care this community takes with its resources and its people, and, well that campground is pretty different and special, this coming from a die-hard campground junkie. Then...there's really good BBQ....

Very nice write up Jenn, sounds like a nice place to camp. It sure makes me want to ride over & attend, but I'm already having to chose between MO. & TN. that weekend!

Cliff  :beerchug:

I really wish I could come down for this one, but I'll be heading the opposite direction that weekend on the way to Tejas.

Thought I'd bump this up again... just to see if it's still goin' down (or up for me).

NEWS FLASH                                                                                NEWS FLASH                                                                    NEWS FLASH

FOLKS, regretfully gotta pull the plug on this event.

Turns out I as Rally organizer had too much on my plate and registration is not where it should be for the club to continue sponsoring the event. Next time, if there is one, I will endeavor to schedule these things when I don't have a) a son graduating from college, or b) I pick up a new full-time job and a part-time gig within 10 weeks of the event.

Will catch up with you guys and gals later....

Tom, Sorry this cancelled.  I was looking forward to riding with you again.  My eye is on the calendar should the event appear again, if not, I look forward to riding with you at RWTW if not sooner.

Be well my friend.

It's a shame that timing is bad all the way around. I was looking forward to this but probably would have missed it due to knee surgery 2 weeks prior. Well I will have to plan on RWTW then. Sorry it did not work out.
George

Tom, thanks for the heads up!  Sorry it didn't work out too, BUT I understand real life
takes precedence.  I'm gonna be in for RWTW, already have the time off reserved.  :)

This one wasn't on Tom. We did have everything in place, but the registration struggled to all of four (4), which couldn't even come close to supporting any SECOG event. I asked Tom to pull the plug on this some weeks ago, and felt we needed to get to at least fifteen (15) to float this. Great venue, guess bad timing for all of the SE members. Maybe the TN rally had an influence on registration. We'll try again sometime. Please contact me for your refund.

It's a great idea for a great rally, and having seen the camping area, I KNOW it would have been ideal for us COGgers.

Scheduling over Mother's Day was a wrench in the works for some folks, I would have had to get up insanely early Sunday or leave Saturday night, to be with my mom.

If you have a Mamma, and you live close enough to see her on Mother's Day, you better darn sight get your butt over there to her!

But I STILL would have done it, the BBQ and campground looked THAT good.

I went up to Cedar Creek on Thurs AM. Had a nice spot on the creek and did a nice ride to Gadson and back. Sat went to do Wolf Pen Gap and the Ga mts.  Was great till about 3 then real hard rain through Sat AM. Had to back in Atl Sat noon. Was a nice spot and think it would be a nice place to go back to.  Thanks for finding it. Maybe Fall?