• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Seth Laam Seat - First Impressions

Solomookie

Street Cruiser
I got my seat back from Seth Laam last week.  The craftsmanship is excellent.  Here is a photo of the Laam seat beside a stock seat.  The "wings" are designed to spread the load across more of your butt which is the key to preventing bleacher butt.

Sunday, my C-10 was finally able to escape her snowy prison for me to take the maiden voyage.  The first impression was not what I expected.  I probably anticipated an "angels singing on high" moment as I sat down the first time.  That was definitely not the case.  The seat felt harder than stock, and because of the difference in shape, felt downright weird.  My very first thought was that I might have flushed $400 down the commode.

I got out on the road and took a two hour trip.  As I rode, the strangeness of the feeling started to dissipate.  I did mostly highway ribbon because the back roads were still clearing from the near foot of snow we had gotten Wednesday.  I was able to take some on and off ramps pretty aggressively and the seat design did not impair my movement for cornering position.  I got back to the house after two hours, and that is when I realized that my butt felt the same as it had when I left.  Considering that on my stock seat bleacher butt used to set in after a half hour tops; my concerns about wasted money vanished.  I'll be taking a COG ride in two weeks that will cover around 500 miles.  My expectation is that the seat will perform admirably.

While I am satisfied overall, there is one negative to report.  The front edge of the "wings" interferes with my legs when my feet are on the ground.  They make the bike feel wider, which in my case is ironic because I decided to throw money at improvements for my C-10 instead of buying a C-14 because the C-14 felt too wide.  Hopefully, with use the wings will soften a little to lessen that feeling.  I might contact Seth about the possibility of an alteration.  Other than that, I am happy with the seat.  Seth did a really nice job on it.

Here a couple of pictures of it on the bike.  Seth has also covered my backrest to match and the backrest is on its way back to me.  He expedited shipment of the seat itself because I ride year 'round and he accommodated my request for a fast turnaround.

Thanks for posting a review! Seat looks great and I like the smooth sides and design. I agree the wide portion "wings" might make it feel wide, but maybe it will loosen up over time and heat since you're riding in the cold still. Keep us posted on if how the seat "breaks in" and/or if Seth changes the wing design.  :beerchug:

For all intents, it's a Rick Mayer without gel. The shape  and design is identical. I've been on a mayer saddle for years after trying 3 others, it's the best for me by far. I'd like to try the laam, hopefully the foam will hold up and the seat will last a long time. Steve

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
For all intents, it's a Rick Mayer without gel.

Seth has an explanation in his seat design section on his site where he enumerates his reasons for preferring foam to gel.  I have no idea whether he is right or wrong.  Like Steve said.. it will be interesting to see how it holds up. 

Since my stock seat went 17 years with no appreciable deterioration, I suspect that the seat will outlive the machine (but hopefully not me.)  :-\

As an epilogue to the this earlier thread...  I got in a long ride over the weekend.  It was my first COG ride; the Crab Cake Ride in southern MD.  I logged a little over 500 miles over the weekend, including about 8 hours in the saddle Saturday.  I am very pleased with the Laam seat.  It's funny; when riding along I am not sitting there thinking "Man!, this is a comfortable seat!".  But then I get off after 2 1/2 hours straight riding and realize that my butt feels the same as it did when I left.  Considering I couldn't get more than a half hour discomfort free out of my stock seat, this is closing in on miraculous. 

I spent about 8 hours on the bike on Saturday, and at the end of the day my butt felt fine.  The rest of me was falling apart; but the butt felt fine.  I woke up all kinds of creaky Sunday morning, but I attribute that to the 2+ hours of sitting on a bar stool after the ride, instead of the ride itself. 

Getting old sucks.    :'(    One thing's for sure.. my seat did not contribute to the problem.  I am very satisfied.

Hi,
      Looks good!

You might want to give the seat a little time to break in.

It does feel better once it settles in and forms! ;D

Attachments

• 10843744_811546235578558_974234886_n.jpg
    10843744_811546235578558_974234886_n.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 171
Did you first call them before you ordered your seat,if so how long did it take to get a reply back.

Big Ed said:
Did you first call them before you ordered your seat,if so how long did it take to get a reply back.

I called to ask a question, so I actually spoke to him before I put in the online order.  Seth isn't the best at returning phone calls.  When I needed to talk to him, I just called until I got him.  My impression is that he is a craftsman who also has to run a business.  He is friendly and accommodating, but not overly strong on the business administration side.  Which is both understandable, and fine, as far as I'm concerned.  I'd much rather have a craftsman who does business than a businessman who tries to be a craftsman.

I have now had my seat for a little over a month, and have gotten in several decent length rides.  If I had it to do over, I would definitely still go with a Laam seat.  I am very happy with the seat; the workmanship is first class; and I feel I got very good service from him.  :great:

Solomookie said:
Big Ed said:

I called to ask a question, so I actually spoke to him before I put in the online order.  Seth isn't the best at returning phone calls.  When I needed to talk to him, I just called until I got him.  My impression is that he is a craftsman who also has to run a business.  He is friendly and accommodating, but not overly strong on the business administration side.  Which is both understandable, and fine, as far as I'm concerned.  I'd much rather have a craftsman who does business than a businessman who tries to be a craftsman.

I have now had my seat for a little over a month, and have gotten in several decent length rides.  If I had it to do over, I would definitely still go with a Laam seat.  I am very happy with the seat; the workmanship is first class; and I feel I got very good service from him.  :great:

^^^^^This sums up my experience perfectly. If you need instant updates on the progress of your seat it can be unnerving. I scheduled my seat ahead of a trip and Seth assured me it would be completed in time. It was, but when checking on comfirmed shipment he was difficult to reach. All in all I am VERY satisfied. Just be aware the man crafting your seat is also the man answering the phone. So patience is a must. My only other advice would be to find an old seat to send. Being pressed for time I had to send my pristine stock seat. Wish I could have found a donor.

I finial got my back 6 weeks after it was scheduled to be worked on. Seth is so backed up. He kept saying sorry for the delay. It was worth the wait I like it alot. Seth took his time when talking to me also sent the seat back even before I paid for it

Must be why there are 31 flavors.  Appears there are several very satisfied riders with this seat.  However, I've tried two of them and went back to the Russell.  Just fits me better every time for the full days of riding.  Remember.....31 flavors.

Yes, the Russell can have attributes that make it a better saddle, but the Lamm has worked well for me. The 'wing' issue can be helped by sliding to the front of the saddle at stops. Having a 30 inch inseam causes an issue with any saddle.

A firm seating surface can help with long days. Cycling saddles have proven that theory. The Lamm has served me well on a couple of 1000 mile days and many 750+ mile days this year chewing away at the IBA NPT. I think I have at least 30k on the saddle and am very pleased overall.

The only thing I add to the saddle is a beaded cover on rainy days to limit the 'sitting in a puddle' events.

And I also prefer quality over timeliness. 

Hi,
      Well...my problem with the OEM seat was the hard edge that would put my legs to sleep and/or hurt the under parts of my legs! :truce:

Seth's seat design with the "wings" that spread the load took care of that! :great:

The seat does need a few weeks to form and settle and now is light years ahead in comfort to the OEM! ;D

Attachments

• fT26Drr.jpg
    fT26Drr.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 125
A couple of questions:

What does a Russel seat look like?

What is the white stuff on the ground in your pic?