• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shad case mounting options

I have a Shad SH29 that I used on my old bike.  I'd like to figure out a way to mount it to my 95 to add a little bit of storage and give my passenger something to lean against.  I have the mounting bracket that came with the case as well as the stock bracket on the bike.  Has anyone figured out a good way to mount this?

You say you have the rack that came with the bike.  Do you mean the tiny little "rack" under the rear fender extension??  Or do you mean the Kaw optional large "rack" that mounts behind the rear seat?  I have the large rack, and simply bolted the Shad mount to it using self locking nuts, and plates under the rack.

With (2) SH42 saddle bags, and an SH45 top case, I now have enough "luggage" volume for any and everything.

I have a 42 liter on my bike, Murph sells some mounting rails that work very well for mounting the base plate to:

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=279

Rob said:
I have a 42 liter on my bike, Murph sells some mounting rails that work very well for mounting the base plate to:

Excellent!  Do you have any pictures of the rack and case installed?

And I meant that I have the little rack that comes stock and hides under the plastic plate.

duffy said:
You say you have the rack that came with the bike.  Do you mean the tiny little "rack" under the rear fender extension??  Or do you mean the Kaw optional large "rack" that mounts behind the rear seat?  I have the large rack, and simply bolted the Shad mount to it using self locking nuts, and plates under the rack.

With (2) SH42 saddle bags, and an SH45 top case, I now have enough "luggage" volume for any and everything.

Could I also ask if you have the OEM backrest installed with the luggage rack?  Or does a passenger lean/brace/sit in front of our SH45 itself?

Brick said:
Rob said:

Excellent!  Do you have any pictures of the rack and case installed?

And I meant that I have the little rack that comes stock and hides under the plastic plate.

Looks a lot like the one in the picture on this page, well, it IS the one in the picture.  ;-)

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=111&products_id=228

Hopefully you can enlarge it enough to see the rails well.  If not, let me know and I'll send you a better one.

Thanks Rob.  When you ride 2-up, do you feel your passenger has to lean back a considerable amount to reach the backrest?  It appears the backrest for the SH29 is a bit bigger than the SH42, but my passenger has complained in the past about the distance she has to lean back (which seems a little nit-picky to me, considering I don't have a back rest upon which to lean).

Mmm, can't answer that one really.  I'm usually solo, as my wife doesn't care to ride any more.  My daughter is the only passenger these days, and she has never complained, though I've never asked her about it either.

ManWorkingHere said:

Could I also ask if you have the OEM backrest installed with the luggage rack?  Or does a passenger lean/brace/sit in front of our SH45 itself?

I very rarely go 2 up, and don't have the OEM backrest, (more room to tie down my sleeping bag and tent)  so my passenger will just have to rest against the top case.  So far, I haven't had any complaints.

anyone got a pic of the Top Case Mounting Rails?  I want a bigger/taller rack but don't care about the case