• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shift Miss

On multiple ocassions i have been shifting from first to second at high RPM and the bike has gone into Neutral. I know i pulled the shifter all the way up, because i have consciously been shifting hard on the lever from first to second when accellerating at WOT (and no i dont leave the bike at WOT between shifts). Has anyone else had this problem?

No not me. Everytime I missed a shift was what I felt was my error, for not pulling up on the shifter enough. I guess you get complacent when a shifter is too smooth!  :))
Is it only going from first to second gear? You popping into neutral while shifting in WOT runs. Is it always at high RPM shifts? or just under heavy acceleration and shifting at lower RPM's?  Is this the only time it does it?
Sorry just asking questions to see if it only happens under certain situations.

Hmmmm, mine seems to shift better from first to second at 3500+RPM.  Have you tried adjusting the shift lever to suit your boot size?

its always at high RPM shifts. Particularly at 9,000+ RPM. Yes, i ride the heck outta the bike sometimes. i can accelerate heavy and shift at @7500 or so, and the bike will not miss, but wheres the fun in that? and its only between first and second. other shifts are fine.  I've adjusted the shift lever to sit slightly lower than my natural riding position to facilitate easier shifting. i have to really push my toe down to get it under the lever. Guess I'll have to slow down a little, but its so much fun to take advantage of the power.  :motonoises:

in response to the sky rocketing gas prices, i have slowed down alot, and am averaging 45+ mpg. as a result, i have not had a missed shift. guess slowing down is the answer. a bearing kit would be nice, but now i'm starting to focus on safety, crazy how having a kid will change things. 

rdm197apd said:
in response to the sky rocketing gas prices, i have slowed down alot, and am averaging 45+ mpg. as a result, i have not had a missed shift. guess slowing down is the answer. a bearing kit would be nice, but now i'm starting to focus on safety, crazy how having a kid will change things.

Your still lucky. A lot of times having a child mean the bike goes away for both cost savings and protecting yourself and the family by not riding!  ;)

yeah, my wife is awesome... she lets me get pretty much any farkle i can afford and never tells me that i cant go for a ride. and she agrees that i should keep the scoot because of the mpgs. thanks wife! love ya.

rick

I've had this happen from 1st to 2nd also but I always though it was my fault. I need to adjust the shift lever. It's a little high for my preferences. I actually joined the forum so that I could try and find an article on how to do that. 

just loosen the two retaining nuts on either side of the shift linkage, and rotate the adjuster in the center. easy as pie. just dont forget to tighten the nuts back when ur done. 

:)  Howdy,
Just a Karma thought here, think of the shift from first to second as two shifts, first to neutral, neutral to second.  Works for me.  Also as a sidebar, when the shifting gets clunky it's time for an oil change.
Later,
Norm

The Wanderer said:
Also as a sidebar, when the shifting gets clunky it's time for an oil change.
Later,
Norm

+2 on this for me also ... i dont let mileage determine when i need to change oil.
my DRz gets its oil changed about every 300-600 miles depending on how it is shifting.
3600 mile on the C14 and on the 3rd oil change.  Oil is cheap. IMO

Mine seems to work fine.  I tested that scenario several times over the last 4 days for you, never missed a shift.

Must be that genuine Kawasaki branded oil I'm using.  ::)