• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shinko 009 Raven Rear tire not worth it

cjny01

Training Wheels
OK I tried the Shinko 009 and I have to tell you, not happy at all.

With the tire newly installed it almost looks like a car tire, very flat. I thought this would give me better mileage because the contact patch was so wide. I keep burning out the centers, but it did not last long at all, and to make matters worse if you really got hot into a corner the rear would step out. It would also break lose if you got on the gas hard exiting the corner. It did not make you feel comfortable riding at a spirited pace.

The tire was toast at 4100 miles. I normally use the Shinko 011 Verge, but was told I should get better mileage out of the 009s so I gave it a try.

I now have a PR3 on but if I don't get at least 12k out of it I will go back to the Shinko 011 Verge which I was getting a consistent  6k out of them and they handled well also.

I was told that by a Shinko rep myself.    Thanks for posting your results.  I use them on a C10 which has been modified for 17 inch wheels, so my results won't be the same as yours, but I got nearly 10k out of them.

I had great success with the Verge.  I thought the Raven was butt ugly so I didn't try it.  Thanks for sharing your experience.