• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shinko 011 Tires Inconsistent wearing

cjny01

Training Wheels
I got tired of the high costs of Michelin tires so I figured I would try the Shinko 011s.

I noticed with the first set that the front end wobbled if I took my hands off the handlebars, which is annoying. I tried rebalancing, I tried moving the weights to the center of the wheel and couldn't get it to go away. The more miles I put on the tires the worse the wobble got.

In the end I got about 5500 miles before the tires needed to be replaced which for a set of tires that cost me $200 delivered seem to be pretty good. I can live with the wobble because other than that the tires are pretty good. I just don't take my hands off the handlebars.

The second set showed the same problem with the front end wobbling but this time I only got 3500 out of the rear tire. Now it's not so cheap. I'm undecided whether I will try a third set because money is tight and I can still get the rear tire for about 130 bucks.

anyone else have issues with these tires?

Thanks

ive had good luck overall with the shinko 009 ravens.  mileage on the rear is near 8k and the fronts are more.  ive run a few sets of them on this bike and more on others.  ive only had one issue with the front a couple years ago, but i believe it to be a rare occurrance and the warranty people were great.  i have not tried the 11's

I might try the 009s, their website doesn't really give a good explanation of their tires. I chose the 11s because their website said it's a sport touring radial, but on the 009s it says they are the longest lasting performance tire.

I had inquired directly to shinko about the difference between them.  I was told that the mileage expectations of both of them are comparable.  in fact, they said the mileage may be better on the 009.  they also said load rating was similar for both.  I have contact info to them if you need it.

This makes no sense, I ride pretty consistently So for the life of me I can't figure out why this tire wore out in 3500 miles.

The front end shaking is something else that concerns me but it's not a showstopper if I get the mileage out of them. The front tire is perfectly fine.

I have the 009 ravens on the front and rear. I have the same front end shake, not a deal breaker for me either.

The tires handle ok, the mileage is better then the pilot 2 that I removed after 3,500 miles to the wear bars.

The 009's have 5,000 miles and getting close to the wear bars on the rear.

I figure for the price of one pilot 2 I got a front and a rear tire for the same money.

I get the tires from Motorcycle Super Store, the reviews on 011's where so so and very good on the 009's, that's how I made my choose.

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to go with the 009 this time. I'm still scratching my head why the 011s wore out so quick this time.

I will post an update in a few thousand miles. The weather in New York has been fantastic this winter and I've actually got a lot of riding in and the best part is I've hardly had to wear my heavy clothes. I had planned to do a lot of maintenance this winter but instead I've been able to ride. I love global warming :cheer:

i got 1300 miles on the shinko 011's (verge) and think they are great. i own a gsxr 1000 and a bmw s1000rr and wear fronts and rears out edge to edge in 2000 to to 2300 miles. being totally tired of changing tires i have been pretty easy in the shinkos, so i could (hopefully) get near 5,000 miles. i could be wrong, but , it looks like they will be toast at 2500 miles or so.  on the plus side, i have complete confidence in them.  linear and light turn in. precise steering. fairly comfortable ride/compliance.  total confidence heeled over ( hitting the peg feelers).  will be really disappointed if they don't go at least past 3000 miles, because they feel great, so far.  it looks like  i will go with the angels or the pr3's, unless the shikos wear surprises me.  will update at 2500 or so..

Chris said:
This makes no sense, I ride pretty consistently So for the life of me I can't figure out why this tire wore out in 3500 miles.

The front end shaking is something else that concerns me but it's not a showstopper if I get the mileage out of them. The front tire is perfectly fine.
I also have front end shaking. 3 front tires so far. Same problem. Take hands off the bar, it starts slow and gets worst. I just had a buddy tell me he tighten his headset very, very slightly and it fixed his shaking. I haven had a chance to try mine. FYI

I pay $160 for a front PR3 fitted to a loose rim.
I pay $240 for a rear PR3 fitted to a loose rim.
The front lasts 13,000 miles.
The rear lasts 8,000 miles.

The cheapest tyres I can get over here in C14 sizes are $145 for the rear and $100 front, mail order.
These are Nankang Roadiacs but I wouldn't risk my life on such cheap tyres.

If there are 2 things I never cheap out on it's brakes and tyres.
If they are any good then they will eventually get rave reviews (like the PR3 is getting everywhere) and only then will I try them.

I still don't understand how you guys kill yer tyres that fast.
Either your road surfaces are really harsh or yer doing too many burnouts and stoppies.  :motonoises:

Boomer said:
I still don't understand how you guys kill yer tyres that fast.
Either your road surfaces are really harsh or yer doing too many burnouts and stoppies.  :motonoises:

No stoppies or burnouts for me.  I just ride aggressively in the twisties.  That is why I normally get 4000-5000 miles out of a PR2/3 rear, and 8000-10,000 out of a front.

I just wore through my 011s and am quite happy with them.  Nice and grippy and I got about 6500 out of them.  I ride pretty aggressively and am a big guy too.  Front could go another 1000, but I just change them in pairs.  I have the wobble thing too, but I think it might be the head bearing.  We will see.

To revise an old topic:

I had the Shinko 011 on my bike, and they were worn.  I too, had the wobble when I let go of the bars.

Just replaced the tires last night with another set of 011 and no wobble.  My highly unscientific, totally unauthorized and open to interpretation guess is that as these tires wear, there is something in the tread pattern or compound that causes this. 

Valuable data. 

No charge.

I never had a 011 Raven front but the rear I had performed well for the money. Just be advised that it has a very flat profile so it was pretty easy to run all the way to the edge during spirited riding. Compared to a PR2/3 it wore out faster and was a little less confidence inspiring.  But for a $105 tire I was happy.