• Forum Subscribers and COG Members, please be aware of policy changes put into effect due to action of the COG board of directors based on input from members. The new membership system makes it possible to implement these changes.

Forum Subscribers – Forum Subscribers get a six-month limited feature trial forum membership. Forum Subscribers Read the Details Here.

Members – Your full forum access is only in effect while your membership status is active. Members Read the Details Here

• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• *READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME* READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * READ ME * Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shinko 016 Verge 2x impressions.

I put on Shinko 016 Verge 2x tires last week, and with about 400 miles on them, the rear tire came off the bead while on the freeway. That was a terrifying few seconds! Thankfully I was able to avoid the crash, and me and passenger are fine. Towed to the closest shop, now waiting to hear what the mechanic says. I have the Shinko on the front too ... that rattled me enough that I may get that changed too. Whether it was mechanic error or defect, I am waiting to find out.

TireguyfromMA

Matthew said:
Could someone take a picture of this tire installed? I specifically told the tire shop to notice the direction of the tire and install it, but they did exactly opposite of how it's supposed to go but wouldn't believe me, no matter how I argued. I would have done it myself, but I broke my mojo lever dismounting the old, stiff, crusty tire.  :-[

Matt, there are arrows imprinted on the side of every tire indicating what direction it MUST rotate in.  Check the side of your tire to make sure the arrow imprinted in the rubber is rotating in the correct direction.  If it's not bring it right back to the manager of the shop that installed it and point this out to them.  If the tire is put on with the arrow pointing the opposite direction (backwards) the wheel rotates in and you get caught in the rain the water will build up (puddle) in front of the tire instead of going through the tread grooves, like it's supposed to.  If you were to get in a accident because of this the shop is 100% liable.  You will have lawyers lining up at your door to "help" you.

nickrides

Mini Bike
Forum Subscriber
Dan 86
When you posted the tire came off the bead the hair on the back of my neck stood up!
Holy shit.
Have you found out why yet?
Those tires are so hard to dismount and mount I can't envision that unless it was the wrong size and too big.
Nick

ursharkfuel

God got one thing wrong: Stupid should be PAINFUL!
Nickrides said:
Dan 86
When you posted the tire came off the bead the hair on the back of my neck stood up!

You're not alone.  :eek:  I had to go change my underwear after reading that.  :rotflmao:

I shattered a tire on a drag bike at the end of a run in 82 - it came apart like a grenade was in it. That still scares me just thinking about it more than 30 years later! :-\  I was more than ready for something and going dead straight with room to coast. But popping the bead on some of the mountain roads I travel would probably be the end. :??:

One thing is for sure, I would only let it happen once, and if I survived I would not ever consider another even if they were free for life!  :truce:

Take care,
Jon

Tundra

Road Bike
Forum Subscriber
Nickrides said:
Dan 86
Holy s***.
Those tires are so hard to dismount and mount I can't envision that unless it was the wrong size and too big.
Nick
+1.  Curious to know the cause, hate to blame the brand...if that's not the culprit. I can't imagine what would contribute to this other than incorrect tire size?
Glad your okay.

BCMC in LA

Moped
Forum Subscriber
I'm sorry, but however good the Shinko brand may be these days, it's just too hard to convince myself of ever needing to go any cheaper than the new Roadsmart IIs manufactured by Sumitomo Rubber in Thailand. Cheap, work like a champ and don't fail ever!

ursharkfuel

Tundra said:
Nickrides said:
Dan 86
Holy s***.
Nick
+1.  Curious to know the cause, hate to blame the brand...if that's not the culprit. I can't imagine what would contribute to this other than incorrect tire size?
Glad your okay.

Tundra good points,

But I'm not sure there is a solid answer for that. Damaged rim possibly, but without detailed forensic investigation beyond the obvious causes it would be hard to determine. So if all things were equal, speaking only for myself I would never trust the brand. Years ago I had some trouble with Goodyear Eagle GT tires on a car. I not only quit the model, I quit the brand as well for close to 20 years.  :mad:

I am guessing you are referring to rim size which would directly impact seating the of bead, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that a radically different tire that is the correct rim size, and well beyond spec could impact the bead. But that would be tough if it was properly inflated.

Come to think about it, low inflation could definitely cause the bead issues. So I would hang my hat on very low inflation in that case.

But let's have some fun with the rim size a moment.  >:D  A 17" tire on a 17" rim should work fine. I'm not sure how you could seat an 18 on a 17 rim, and there is no way on this pale blue dot would I ever consider releasing the clutch on that arrangement - assuming it actually worked. And we all know how difficult the 17' is to replace, can you imagine the struggle to even try, never said succeed, with a 16?!?  :-[:-\ :rotflmao:

So outside of improper inflation I'm afraid I would have to blame the brand I am sorry to say. :??:

Take care,
Jon

Tundra

Road Bike
Forum Subscriber
Very true regarding the under inflation, however I would assume any seasoned Connie Rider would feel it and know.  If my front tire is down just a lb. Or two I certainly feel it, especially low speed parking lot maneuvers on a big heavy bike. I'd certainly be interested in follow up, even if just for safety for others. Glad you escaped this without incident or injury!!

ursharkfuel

Tundra said:
Very true regarding the under inflation, however I would assume any seasoned Connie Rider would feel it and know.  If my front tire is down just a lb. Or two I certainly feel it, especially low speed parking lot maneuvers on a big heavy bike. I'd certainly be interested in follow up, even if just for safety for others. Glad you escaped this without incident or injury!!

I'm right there with you on that.  :great: 

I'm slightly over spec on my inflation because it feels better to me, but I do not speak for the masses - they need to do what is "right" for them.  ;)

Take care,
Jon

cuda

For track days we drop tire pressure way down they say 28 to 30 rear 30 to 32 rear for sportbikes, I like 32 F 34 R with the fat girl at Jennings GP, our yearly track day.

Tundra

Road Bike
Forum Subscriber
Dan86, please post back with your findings. Curious if some kind of tire failure, install issue, tire pressure issue.
This would be useful information to share with others please.

thissucks

Bicycle
One more question for Dan86. I'm reading this that a mechanic mounted the tire on the wheel, was this done with a machine or manually?

nickrides

Mini Bike
Forum Subscriber
I have to imagine when Dan 86 said the tire came off the bead, he had a flat and rode it until the tire came off the bead. I've done that. I was on a dirt road and thought the swaying was just the dirt surface, until it got really bad and I looked down, surprise!
Nick
2014 C-14