• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shinko tire is dangerous

Motorcyclerider

Put this Shink 011 verge on the rear of my bike going from a battle axe 46 I believe. Giving me death wobbles at highway speeds. Had it at 41 psi. Set it to 36 after. Same result. Worried it could get out of control with the wonbales. Anyone else have this issue? Are shinko just not well made. It’s 150/80/16 zr. I’m really disappointed. Wondering if it’s defective. Have a pirelli angel in front that’s wearing well I’m very happy with

Attachments

• 4653CD52-9381-48C1-A5ED-A81A216C046A.png
    4653CD52-9381-48C1-A5ED-A81A216C046A.png
    263.3 KB · Views: 57
I like shinko tires. Had a verge on the front years ago. No big problems, just didn't last long. Had Journeys on my 05 when I sold it. Liked those and very stable. Have tourmasters on my Suzuki. Like those. I'd look at the suspension and make sure it is set up for your weight. Make sure steering head is adjusted properly. Make sure all the engine mounts are good and tight. HTH

Only thing is it was fine yesterday with the won Bridgestone battle axe. Found and old thread with someone else complaining about that tire.

I always considered it more of a sport bike tire. Connie is a porker. Some have used a shinko 777 with good results. I wanted a set of radials, so I went for the Journeys. Jim Snyder is a big fan of Avons. Going to 17 inch wheels opens up the options considerably.

I always considered it more of a sport bike tire. Connie is a porker. Some have used a shinko 777 with good results. I wanted a set of radials, so I went for the Journeys. Jim Snyder is a big fan of Avons. Going to 17 inch wheels opens up the options considerably.
I put a 777 on when I went to the Mean Streak. Not a bad tire just didn’t last long. Been running Dunlop Roadsmart III’s, front and rear and love them.

I tried one on the rear once - it developed a wobble on vacation with not many miles on it. With luggage and two up we were close to the maximum weight capacity (although weight distribution on front vs. rear tires is very tricky to guesstimate). I'm of the mind that there are few rear tires that can run safely and reliably two up with luggage. I'd never buy another Shinko for that reason.

I had 011s on my 95. No issues other than hard to judge when the center tread was finished. Made it about 7k on the rear one and the front one is still on there at 10k with a Commander II on the rear. The Commander did made it less sensitive to turbulent air above 70 such as behind a truck with a similar increase in effort to get it turned in.

I have 712s on my Sportster, 250Fs on the Electra Glide and ran thorough two sets of 705s on my CB500X. Only real issue was the 705s are heavy and the front would get noisy.

I suspect if there is a defect sufficient to cause a wobble, you could likely see it by rotating the wheel and looking for a wobble or asymmetry in the profile.

I had the same issues with the Shinko. Really scary above 80 mph. In addition, the tire was showing belts at 3,600 miles. I posted about it a couple of years ago. I would not use that tire again.

A big difference in results. Maybe from different use. Mine sees more miles on dirt and gravel than at speeds over 80. Still, never noticed any issue with the 011s at any speed. I wonder if these things are down to poor qc with defects getting out the door or if the tire is somehow revealing some other issue.

For "deathwobble", are we talking a weave or violent shaking of the bars and chassis?

More like a weave
A big difference in results. Maybe from different use. Mine sees more miles on dirt and gravel than at speeds over 80. Still, never noticed any issue with the 011s at any speed. I wonder if these things are down to poor qc with defects getting out the door or if the tire is somehow revealing some other issue.

For "deathwobble", are we talking a weave or violent shaking of the bars and chassis?
more like a weave. I think I found the problem and it may not be tire tire. Just a coincidence that it happened the same time I replace the tire.

More like a weave

more like a weave. I think I found the problem and it may not be tire tire. Just a coincidence that it happened the same time I replace the tire.
What did the cause of your weave/wobble end up being?

I am struggling with the same issue on my bike, and trying to figure out if it's my new tires.

If the steering head bearings are too tight, you can't hold a straight line very easily and it's noticeable.

If the steering head bearings are too tight, you can't hold a straight line very easily and it's noticeable.
Yeah, and perhaps I should try loosening mine. I have these new ones looser than the old ones were, and the bars can flop pretty easily to one side or the other. There's no play, though, so maybe I should try backing them off a bit at a time and riding again until I end up too loose.

Yeah, and perhaps I should try loosening mine. I have these new ones looser than the old ones were, and the bars can flop pretty easily to one side or the other. There's no play, though, so maybe I should try backing them off a bit at a time and riding again until I end up too loose.
I believe in another post I had made the same comment re stem bearings being too tight. It is a very subtle difference between too tight and just right... maybe a sixteenth of a turn on the nut, but it made quite a difference for me. Easier to try this than it would be to do the tire swap you were talking about. I'd try backing off a sixteenth and see what you get.
Just a suggestion.

I'll give it a shot.

Still am not sure I'm keen on how these tires feel.

I did make a template of the profiles so I can compare others in the future.
1000005590.jpg

I did just loosen up by steering bearings 1/8 turn and will try it again maybe tomorrow. The castle nut is nearly finger-tight now, but I can't feel any play when rocking it with the front brake on.

Seth, with this being an old thread, ur best served pm the one your asking ur question of. Lol some folks (not me) have better things to do then check old threads they were involved in..jmtcw
Yeah, I realize I've been a bit obnoxious with reviving old threads. I have been appreciating all the good info here from over the years, and want to know how the stories end!