• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shock Linkage Needle Bearings

mr. bill

Tricycle
So I have finally gotten around to taking my Ohlins shock off to have it check out by Ohlins USA.
I have also went through the swingarm pivots and shock linkage to make sure all is moving smoothly without binding.
The only thing I found was where the shock mounts to the lower linkage, the needle bearing was a bit hard to turn....probably not enough to do much harm, but I figured I'd apply grease anyways.
I took out the inner race which exposed the needle bearings and when I dabbed a bit of grease on them...something nylon or what looked liked a brown piece of thin spaghetti came off on my hand.
I'm assuming that was old grease that was dried up?

So I figured I'd go ahead and do the other two needle bearings, which had a white/yellow color and moved better.  Well, I started picking at the white/yellow stuff between the needle bearings and the bearings came out.

My question:  Is the white/yellow stuff around the needle bearings just grease that has been so compacted it now looks like a nylon spacer or needle bearing holder...or is it truly a nylon spacer and now instead of just reassembling the needle bearing with grease I need to get a new needle bearing.

In the picture you can see the white/yellow nylonish stuff pulled out, the middle bearing (brown stuff is all pulled out and the bearings didn't pop out), and the other needle bearing I didn't touch and you can see how buried the needle bearings are in that.

Attachments

• shock linkage-1.pdf
    118.8 KB · Views: 161
No takers?
Nobody has taken their linkage off and looked at the needle bearings...
In all fairness I wouldn't have either if I hadn't been switching shocks out.

My guess is that those white nylon parts on the ends are keepers for the bearings so they don't fall out when you remove the bolt, and that the brown colored piece in your photo is simply old dried grease.