• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Shoei Qwest - brand new purchase - small review

jerdurr

My helmet was in desperate need for retirement, so I finally went ahead and bought a Shoei Qwest (large) after trying my friend's large on me and feeling it a fit.

I had read all the reviews about it and despite a few negatives (there's always people out there that like to rant about how imperfect what they purchased is), it had an overall high rating, so I pulled the trigger.

The good: As everything Shoei, the helmet is very well built! The shell feels wonderful to the touch, and the foam inside feels quality.

Now on to the bad, which unfortunately is a much more extensive list:
1) fogging: What the hell was Shoei thinking? This helmet fogs like no other I have owned (and I've owned pretty crappy helmet in my riding lifetime). It is scary how much it fogs. The venting helps ZERO with this issue. The only way it doesn't fog, is if you have the left black lever down, which basically unseals the visor by pushing it forward and outward, leaving a 1 mm space between the visor and the helmet. Of course, this helps, but then again, the visor is not closed now, is it? Good luck using this function in the rain. Breath blocker? Yes, it comes with one, but it is useless. Some may say, what about a pinlock? Yeah, that would be great, IF IT CAME WITH ONE! you actually have to buy a full pinlock visor, which will run you another 70 dollars (canadian).

2) venting: It is hard to feel the venting, whatsoever, even with every vent open and doing 100 km/hr. If you have a good windshield that blocks direct wind, you will not vent whatsoever, and the fogging issue, again.
3) Aerodynamics: very bad, the helmet is quite turbulent.
4) Noise: quite noisy in my opinion, considering it is a 470 dollar helmet (again, canadian and tax in).

My overall experience on my first Shoei? Really negative. I wouldn't suggest anybody buy this crappy helmet.

Where did you get it? can you take it back ?
  I never tried the Quest but recently purchased a Neotec.
I was very surprised when i first opened the top vent. Ive never felt so much air in a helmet.

strum said:
  Where did you get it? can you take it back ?
  I never tried the Quest but recently purchased a Neotec.
I was very surprised when i first opened the top vent. Ive never felt so much air in a helmet.
Hey Strum!

I bought it from FortNine, canada's largest Motorcycle online gear selling distributor. I could maybe before removing the stickers and so; now, it would be close to impossible. I will find a way to make it work; it fits comfortably, but that's about it. The fogging is a real issue with this one. It's ok, maybe next season I'll shell out some more $$ and buy a nicer helmet. For now, this one will stay. Do you not get any fogging with shield closed while not moving?

I know buying a pinlock will be the end all be all for this Qwest, but it annoys me having to shell 100 more clams to make a Helmet not fog, which at 350 bucks, should be doing straight out of the box.

Oh well.  :-[

The thing is they are trying to make the helmets as quiet as possible. To do this they must be seal. So its a double edged sword. Nice tight quiet sealed up lid with some fogging or plenty or air making lots of turbulence. its a tough deal for the manufacturers.
My Neotec does fog if im sitting still but i just lift the visor when coming to a stop and close it when i take off.  It did come with a pinloc but ive never tried it.