• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sierra Sidewinder set for Sept. 15-17, 2023 with rally base in Walker

santacruzrider

The 2023 Sierra Sidewinder is up on the Events calendar for Sept. 15-17 — assuming they can get the passes plowed clear of snow of open by then!
Back by popular demand, we will be using the Andruss Motel in Walker (mailing address is Coleville) as our base and will be making some big loops over some big passes on some small roads with plenty of fun turns.
Check your dance cards and maybe book your room early because previous years has us selling out the motel (they are reserving the whole place for us) and spilling over in the motels across the street.IMG_0025.jpeg

I hate to be the first to sign up but it seems almost perfect. I did like spending Thursday night in California City.

I'm in!! I will be the first to sign up!! If you love to ride passes, curves, scenery, lakes, etc... and hang out with very fun people you have to be all in on this rally!! See you all in California City! I will see you David very soon! :) :cool:

Last edited:
I am going to see if I can make this work this year - I'll be coming from the Portland, OR area. I could either come down via 395 on Friday, or break it into two days and stay in northern CA Thursday night, if there is a group riding over from the Redding/Chico/Sacramento area?

And, am I reading the event description right, that Sunday is not really part of the ride, just a day for travel back home?

The passes are open except Tioga.
I took our OTP Udo and Cliff Burnett over 88, 4, 108. A little snow on 4 and 108 but the roads are clear!

I am going to see if I can make this work this year - I'll be coming from the Portland, OR area. I could either come down via 395 on Friday, or break it into two days and stay in northern CA Thursday night, if there is a group riding over from the Redding/Chico/Sacramento area?

And, am I reading the event description right, that Sunday is not really part of the ride, just a day for travel back home?
I may be able to make the trip but won’t know till after some surgery on August 4th.

I’m in Hood River and could easily come up with some fun routes that keep us off major highways as much as possible.

I just signed up. Is Sunday an official ride day, or just a day to get back home? Just trying to plan my time off work appropriately.

Looking forward to it!
Aaron
Hi Aaron, We (most) ride then we usually have breakfast. Ride the last pass down and may have lunch and then ride a bit more and then head our separate ways home once we get near Mariposa. Others start their journey home on Sunday morning. Whatever you want to do... I keep riding! Glad you are coming! :D

SoCal Optional Thursday Night (14th) gathering and Friday (15th) Ride to the Sidewinder.

Like last year a group from SoCal and surrounding areas will be meeting up in California City on Thursday night for some socializing and eating, then head up 395 to Walker early on Friday. It makes Friday a shorter riding day and allows for some fun along the way, like curvy Hwy 168.

There are already 3 or 4 riders doing this.

Hotel is once again
Best Western California City Inn & Suites
10386 California City Blvd, California City, CA 93505
760-373-1369
(you would be arriving on the 14th and leaving the 15th)

just show up and look for the other motorcycles.

Please register for the Sierra Sidewinder so we know you are attending - Register & Details

Hello... New to COG but attended the National in Canyonville, OR, and...
Looking to share a room with anyone for the nights of
September 15th? and/or 16th? and/or 17th?

Will come WELL Cashed for
~15% Discount!!

RSVPlease

Last edited:
Alrighty, I'm all in and planning my route down there. If anyone has a route suggestion other than what I've got planned below, please let me know, open to suggestions!

Coming from outside Portland, OR, I will get some easy miles out of the way on the slab, then I think I will cut over to the coast in southern Oregon (at Grants Pass), ride along 101 for a bit, then camp Thursday night just east of Fortuna, CA. Then I'll take Hwy 36 over to Lake Almanor, then follow Hwy 89 around Tahoe and eventually down to Walker.

Last edited:
Alrighty, I'm all in and planning my route down there. If anyone has a route suggestion other than what I've got planned below, please let me know, open to suggestions!

Coming from outside Portland, OR, I will get some easy miles out of the way on the slab, then I think I will cut over to the coast in southern Oregon (at Grants Pass), ride along 101 for a bit, then camp Thursday night just east of Fortuna, CA. Then I'll take Hwy 36 over to Lake Almanor, then follow Hwy 89 around Tahoe and eventually down to Walker.
Looks like a good route to me! Highway 36 is sooo fun! If you stayed inland and on the I-5 just north of Yreka is highway 96 which I hear is a hell of a road to ride. Ends up at the 299 then go west to Eureka then down to Fortuna (Camp) and then follow the route you are planning on doing. Just a thought! :D

Cool looking shirt! Guess I better make a decision on it like today!

We are booked in at the Best Western in California City on Thursday September 14th!

Two weeks out from the Sierra Sidewinder and plans are definitely falling into place. We've got some longer routes this year, plus lots of options for those who like to log more miles, plus some new restaurants to try -- and a few of the old favorites. I'll be sending details to everyone who is registered for the ride weekend. plus printing out ride guides for those who want something to tuck into their tank bags.

But in the meantime, here are a few highlights:

Thursday, Sept. 14
Riders coming up from So Cal, Arizona or Nevada will be meeting for the night at the Best Western California City Inn & Suites, California City, CA. Russ, the SW AD, will be gathering riders from there and leading the ride up the east side of the Sierra on Friday.

Friday, Sept. 15
The rally point is the Andruss Motel in Walker, Calif. Arrive as early as you want, but ideally get there by 6 p.m. as we will be walking two doors down to the Mountain View BBQ for dinner -- and they close at 8 p.m.
For riders coming from the west side of the Sierra, I will be stopping for lunch on Friday at ~12:30 p.m. at the Rosebud Cafe, downtown Jackson. From there it will be KSU at 1:30 p.m. and then up Hwy 88, over Kit Carson Pass to Woodfords and we can debate whether to drop into Gardnerville or take the twistier route on 89 through Markleeville (which everyone knows will be the option chosen!!).
Riders coming up from California City will be making their own fun and as with last year, I expect there to be stories of bikes running out of gas, riders going up the wrong pass, and other shenanigans.

Saturday, Sept. 16
KSU at 7:45 a.m. and a ride north to breakfast and cheap gas at Topaz Lake, Nev. (Anyone wondering why we aren't headed back to Out West Cafe in Markleeville - they are out of business.) From Topaz it's west over 89, then across the Sierra on Hwy 4 -- a ride that I'm personally conflicted about whether it's the most beautiful Sierra Pass there is ... it's 1 or 2 in my book. Once in Gold Country on the west side of the Sierra (and with suitable stops for photos and refreshment), we will head east on 108 -- stopping for lunch at Mia's Pizza in Cold Springs. We will drop down through Sonora Junction and head to gas in Bridgeport. From there, riders have options that include taking the adventurous gravel road to visit Bodie Ghost Town, doing the June Lake Loop, riding north into Nevada and the Wovoka Wilderness and looping back past Topaz, or just riding back to Walker and cooling heels. Personally, I'm conflicted about which of the first three I want to do, and thinking maybe the answer is ALL (I blame Doug for this ridiculousness.)
Dinner will be a casual affair (no ties or collars required, but pants and shoes recommended) and we will have a choice of either a repeat of Mountain View BBQ or hitting the even closer Walker Burger, which has a surprising large menu and much more than just burgers.

Sunday, Sept. 17
Breakfast at Walker Coffee Company - opens at 7 a.m.
KSU as close to 8 a.m. as possible, then south to 108 and back across the Sierra, through Railtown and south on 49 to Coulterville, with a lunch stop at the Coulter Cafe.
From there its down the Little Dragon and into the Central Valley where I expect we will have folks peeling off for home.

If you haven't registered yet and this looks likes fun, please visit the Events Calendar and log your interest. If you have questions, please let me know. Cheers - Dan

I have a guest that has ridden with us in the past (Marty Nagel). After several attempts to add him with my email it has me befuddled. Even though he rides a Ducati he is safe, fast and a all round good guy.

Last edited:
I have a guest that has ridden with us in the past (Marty Nagel). After several attempts to add him with my email it has me befuddled. Even though he rides a Ducati he is safe, fast and a all round good guy.
Great qualities in a guest, so why does he hang out with you? (and we'll just assimilate him at the event)

As of 9/7/23 at 11am - the Andruss has a couple of rooms left, if you call them direct (530-495-2216) and tell them you're with COG. And it still gets you the cash deal. DO IT NOW, don't miss the 4+ Sierra mountain passes, great food and socialization opportunity.

There is a SoCal contingent meeting at the Best Western in California City on Thursday night (9/14), for a Friday run up the 395 to Walker (they will be hitting a couple of awesome side roads on the trip like the curvy 168 out of Big Pines).

Details, Info, Hype by clicking here

Two weeks out from the Sierra Sidewinder and plans are definitely falling into place. We've got some longer routes this year, plus lots of options for those who like to log more miles, plus some new restaurants to try -- and a few of the old favorites. I'll be sending details to everyone who is registered for the ride weekend. plus printing out ride guides for those who want something to tuck into their tank bags.

But in the meantime, here are a few highlights:

Thursday, Sept. 14
Riders coming up from So Cal, Arizona or Nevada will be meeting for the night at the Best Western California City Inn & Suites, California City, CA. Russ, the SW AD, will be gathering riders from there and leading the ride up the east side of the Sierra on Friday.

Friday, Sept. 15
The rally point is the Andruss Motel in Walker, Calif. Arrive as early as you want, but ideally get there by 6 p.m. as we will be walking two doors down to the Mountain View BBQ for dinner -- and they close at 8 p.m.
For riders coming from the west side of the Sierra, I will be stopping for lunch on Friday at ~12:30 p.m. at the Rosebud Cafe, downtown Jackson. From there it will be KSU at 1:30 p.m. and then up Hwy 88, over Kit Carson Pass to Woodfords and we can debate whether to drop into Gardnerville or take the twistier route on 89 through Markleeville (which everyone knows will be the option chosen!!).
Riders coming up from California City will be making their own fun and as with last year, I expect there to be stories of bikes running out of gas, riders going up the wrong pass, and other shenanigans.

Saturday, Sept. 16
KSU at 7:45 a.m. and a ride north to breakfast and cheap gas at Topaz Lake, Nev. (Anyone wondering why we aren't headed back to Out West Cafe in Markleeville - they are out of business.) From Topaz it's west over 89, then across the Sierra on Hwy 4 -- a ride that I'm personally conflicted about whether it's the most beautiful Sierra Pass there is ... it's 1 or 2 in my book. Once in Gold Country on the west side of the Sierra (and with suitable stops for photos and refreshment), we will head east on 108 -- stopping for lunch at Mia's Pizza in Cold Springs. We will drop down through Sonora Junction and head to gas in Bridgeport. From there, riders have options that include taking the adventurous gravel road to visit Bodie Ghost Town, doing the June Lake Loop, riding north into Nevada and the Wovoka Wilderness and looping back past Topaz, or just riding back to Walker and cooling heels. Personally, I'm conflicted about which of the first three I want to do, and thinking maybe the answer is ALL (I blame Doug for this ridiculousness.)
Dinner will be a casual affair (no ties or collars required, but pants and shoes recommended) and we will have a choice of either a repeat of Mountain View BBQ or hitting the even closer Walker Burger, which has a surprising large menu and much more than just burgers.

Sunday, Sept. 17
Breakfast at Walker Coffee Company - opens at 7 a.m.
KSU as close to 8 a.m. as possible, then south to 108 and back across the Sierra, through Railtown and south on 49 to Coulterville, with a lunch stop at the Coulter Cafe.
From there its down the Little Dragon and into the Central Valley where I expect we will have folks peeling off for home.

If you haven't registered yet and this looks likes fun, please visit the Events Calendar and log your interest. If you have questions, please let me know. Cheers - Dan
I am not able to attend this, but I have to say that this right here, is EXACTLY how events should be planned!

There are 4 rooms remaining at the Andruss Motel in Walker! Our latest registrant Michael and weekly Breakfast Run rider and friend informed me today. Come on out and play with us in the Sierras! :D(y)

Heading out this morning with Jack, John, Jay and Mike! Meeting David and Marty with our final destination later today at California City after riding the Crest and other cool roads! The Sierra Sidewinder is about ready to begin! Woohoo! Safe travels all!

A huge "nice job" and thanks to Dan for putting together another great Sidewinder. (he's already planning the SS2024)

Great people and great rides make life better. It was awesome seeing and riding with everyone. The socializing and tall stories are unbeatable. 15 riders on 14 bikes.

The Andruss Motel gave us a good deal and it was pretty awesome that we took over the whole place. It was a like a COG SW clubhouse.

I look forward to 2024 (and the Devils Cut in two weeks and the and the Veterans Day ride in Nov)

SoCal preparing for the ride North
ss2023-socal-group-up.jpg

Taking over the Andruss
ss2023-hotel-is-ours.jpg

Talking about fish or something...
ss2023-talking-fish-or-something.jpg

Doing the fifty yard zombie walk to the delicious BBQ feast...
ss2023-zombie-walk.JPG

All the tired little riders tucked away neatly in their rooms for the dark time. (cause they all need to be up at 5 damn AM for some reason)
ss2023-sleeping.jpg

(cause they all need to be up at 5 damn AM for some reason)

Me thinks you and I might be simpatico on wake up times. :ROFLMAO:(y)

Other than increased chances of hitting deer, or climbing a mountain to see the sunrise,
I've never found that there is anything I can do better at 5AM than I can at 8 AM. Personally
I think breakfast just goes better with 8AM than 5AM or 6AM ..it starts getting better around
7AM and peaks at between 8 and 8:30AM....on a trip..........at home...different story. At home breakfast
is best at the crack of 10:30 - 11 AM.

I had a fantastic time hanging with y'all. The journey both down to Walker and back home were enjoyable and trouble-free. I logged 2200 miles over 5 days in total, and had a blast riding Hwy 36 from Susanville to Fortuna - snapped this pic which seemed very accurate, and saw less then a dozen cars once I was west of Red Bluff. Very much appreciate the route suggestions!

1695158731813.png

Thanks for letting the 'Northerners' join and taking us through some amazing roads. The Andruss was a great spot to park the bike for a couple of nights and next year I definitely think we need to take advantage of the BBQs and smoker!

Aaron