• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Slick New Years Day Ride

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
When I geared up to go for a ride yesterday the outside temperature was 38 degrees and the sky was blue and getting sunny. I thought other than damp roads and cool temperature it should be a great day for a ride. While rolling the bike backwards out of the garage and down the steep incline of a driveway I feel an odd unsteadiness as my feet begin to slide slightly on the asphalt. In a heartbeat I recognized this as being black ice and I continued - very cautiously - to maneuver the 700+ lb. machine too the street and off the incline.

I dismounted and found the road too was glazed over with black ice after testing the surface using a technique that resembled "The Twist."  Although above freezing, the cooler overnight temps and damp and foggy weather combined and caused lots of black ice, especially in the higher elevations like where I live – and in the direction we would be headed. I left the C14 at the end of the driveway and waited 30 minutes allowing the roads to defrost. 

Once under way we diligently watched road conditions, knowing that any surface that appeared damp and in a shady area might be black ice. When we approached dubious road conditions we rode slower than normal with minimal lean angle, keeping our rides as upright as possible. I periodically monitored the outside temperature displayed on my console to know if we hit any place where the air temperature may be unexpectedly cooler. As the sun got stronger the temps increased slowly, the roads began to dry, and the “pucker factor” began to subside.

Was that your bike in the video Steve.  :p    I know yours is silver!    :)

Note to add: Steve posted a video in the safety about black ice!