• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Smelly Gear

motocommuter

So, we took two trips (11 & 13 day) this summer with some temps 95+. My gear (Klim jacket and pants) starts to get a little smelly after a couple days (fyi, we wash our gear before every big trip). We have started to use Febreze (or similar) on our gear in the evening. Turn the pants and jacket inside out and spray them down. It seemed to work as we could  not detect any smelliness.

Thought I'd pass it on, I don't know why I never thought about it in the past.

MotoCommuter said:
...My gear (Klim jacket and pants) starts to get a little smelly after a couple days (fyi, we wash our gear before every big trip)...
Hmm...my first thought is that live in my gear, and it doesn't seem to smell.  Then I thought about it some more and I realized I only use it daily.  But it does get pretty sweaty.  And on trips like you're describing, I do "live" in it.  My gear gets dirty...but I've never noticed it being smelly.  When I stop, whether it is at home or a motel, I always hang it up, and maybe that's why it doesn't smell.

I can see using Febreeze occasionally on something...but I do wonder if using it every night is overkill.

Chris

Daboo said:
MotoCommuter said:
...My gear (Klim jacket and pants) starts to get a little smelly after a couple days (fyi, we wash our gear before every big trip)...
Hmm...my first thought is that live in my gear, and it doesn't seem to smell.  Then I thought about it some more and I realized I only use it daily.  But it does get pretty sweaty.  And on trips like you're describing, I do "live" in it.  My gear gets dirty...but I've never noticed it being smelly.  When I stop, whether it is at home or a motel, I always hang it up, and maybe that's why it doesn't smell.

I can see using Febreeze occasionally on something...but I do wonder if using it every night is overkill.

Chris

Down here in the south, temps and humidity are often 90+, a few days of sweating in your gear usually ends up with it not being as "fresh" as it was when you started. We do hang our gear every night as well.

I do notice that trips during the fall, winter and spring, my gear is good to go as the temps and humidity is  not as high.

Jerdurr said:

I've been hearing a lot of really bad things about Febreze products... certainly not something I would put on my clothes or couches or anything I would wear / have contact with...

I'll let you do your own research, but this is a good start:
http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/febreze.html

So that site is a bunch of scare-mongering ignorance.

“We know inhalation of any chemicals is dangerous”...we inhale/drink/eat “chemicals” all day, every day. These morons would be taken in by the dihydrogen monoxide scare.

They go on to list all the “dangerous chemicals” in Febreze, calling them scary sounding things like”known carcinogen” or “endocrine disruptor”. While not outright lies, they’re disingenuous, and they don’t provide ANY sourcing, showing what kind of exposure we’re talking about.

For example - they call propylene glycol a carcinogen, which I find suspect, as it’s used in food processing, as a preservative, etc, because UNLIKE ethylene glycol, it’s much less toxic (hell it’s used to dissolve non-water-soluble injectables). LD50 is something like 3ozs per pound of bodyweight. So something like 50 ozs for a 180 lb adult (if my math holds).

Don’t pay attention to sites like this - they’re all about ignorance and promoting “natural” solutions (which they ignorantly don’t know are made of those “evil chemicals”).

I think this can be attributed to Rev Rider. What is the best way to clean your smelly gear?  Still wearing your gear, get a cold beer and sit in a hot tub.  :rotflmao:

Everything in perspective. While that site may or may not be wrong about Febreeze, the fact is most people live in a world of chemical toxins, if you buy a new house all the new products are out-gassing: carpet, paint, wood, etc... Buy an old house and it has mold and dust and who knows what. Live in the city and breath exhaust fumes and your next door neighbor fumes, or live in the country and deal with the pollen and ants on your kitchen counter and rabid mosquitoes.

4Bikes said:
I think this can be attributed to Rev Rider. What is the best way to clean your smelly gear?  Still wearing your gear, get a cold beer and sit in a hot tub.  :rotflmao:
Where can I find a "Like" button?

Chris

Living here in Florida now I wash our gear much more often that I did when we still lived in Indiana.  I make sure it doesn't get to the point where it can stand on its own. 

Irene

Although I can't specifically comment on how this detergent works on Bike Gear, I can say that it works VERy well on sweaty stinky synthetic work-out gear.  :great:
So, that SHOULD translate well for textile and mesh gear.  :)

Just bought some for the first time to get the lingering and future stink out of my work out gear.
It's been a HOT summer here, and I rarely don't soak my entire wardrobe with sweat when I venture out into the heat.

This stuff not only eliminates the current stink, but leaves a mild yet pleasing odor behind, that is not easily "funk-i-fied" by new odors.

I'm well impressed.

A bit pricey per wash, compared to regular detergents, but the results thus far have been totally worth it.

gr

Attachments

• HEXii.JPG
    HEXii.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 130
FWIW I am really careful of what chemicals I put on my gortex riding gear. I would make sure anything you apply will not harm the waterproofness of the gortex. Good gear is really expensive.

JimBob said:
Jerdurr said:

I've been hearing a lot of really bad things about Febreze products... certainly not something I would put on my clothes or couches or anything I would wear / have contact with...

I'll let you do your own research, but this is a good start:
http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/febreze.html

So that site is a bunch of scare-mongering ignorance.

“We know inhalation of any chemicals is dangerous”...we inhale/drink/eat “chemicals” all day, every day. These morons would be taken in by the dihydrogen monoxide scare.

They go on to list all the “dangerous chemicals” in Febreze, calling them scary sounding things like”known carcinogen” or “endocrine disruptor”. While not outright lies, they’re disingenuous, and they don’t provide ANY sourcing, showing what kind of exposure we’re talking about.

For example - they call propylene glycol a carcinogen, which I find suspect, as it’s used in food processing, as a preservative, etc, because UNLIKE ethylene glycol, it’s much less toxic (hell it’s used to dissolve non-water-soluble injectables). LD50 is something like 3ozs per pound of bodyweight. So something like 50 ozs for a 180 lb adult (if my math holds).

Don’t pay attention to sites like this - they’re all about ignorance and promoting “natural” solutions (which they ignorantly don’t know are made of those “evil chemicals”).

Daily routine exposure is where the problem lies . Lots of products we use daily have long term effects . Certainly can't hurt to be cautious . Ive heard of links to Alzheimers associated with certain deodorants , used daily for years. But hey , these motorcycles will probably kill us first and I'm not gonna stop riding .

While were discussing, what do you do with helmets that smell like {well, err} "old helmets"?
I had 1 and Febrezed it. Didn't work out very well...
Basically had to replace it as the flower smell was oppressive "forever".. (Guess I shoulda used the unscented)

My current helmet has the removable liner, that I assume could be hand washed.
  Wouldn't want to do that as a quick refresh on a trip.

So, as a quick refresh, what do ya'll do?

Ride safe, Ted

I've been removing the armour and washing my textile gear in cold water with a cold water liquid detergent in my washer for years. Then I hang them to dry. My gear is still in great shape.

connie_rider said:
While were discussing, what do you do with helmets that smell like {well, err} "old helmets"?
Basically had to replace it as the flower smell was oppressive "forever".. (Guess I shoulda used the unscented)

Ride safe, Ted

wayyyyyy back when my wife bought me an Aerostich, she decided to buy some other stuff there also...
They sell individual various sized 'pouches' filled with cedar chips, to drop in your boots, helmet, etc.,
they worked nicely on boots and helmet, and even after 15 years, still 'smell nice', but they have lost some of their capacity thru time..
They were pretty costly also, as everything Stich sells...

sooooo, I made my own... as a frugal COG'r always does...
saved the mesh bags we get our onions, and 'tater's in from the store, and filled them with fresh chips from Farm store... cost like $6... for a big bag...
then, sewed up some 'bags' out of an old pillow case, and installed some zippers in them, and hanging strings, and viola... instant fresheners, biodegradable, and cheap.. toss one in a helmet, or a boot' and hang one on the hanger inside the Stich when it hung up...
can't beat the price... and it's a "manly smell".... like "a Lumberjack".... ( cue the Lumberjack song....)

MAN OF BLUES said:
connie_rider said:

Ride safe, Ted

wayyyyyy back when my wife bought me an Aerostich, she decided to buy some other stuff there also...
They sell individual various sized 'pouches' filled with cedar chips, to drop in your boots, helmet, etc.,
they worked nicely on boots and helmet, and even after 15 years, still 'smell nice', but they have lost some of their capacity thru time..
They were pretty costly also, as everything Stich sells...

sooooo, I made my own... as a frugal COG'r always does...
saved the mesh bags we get our onions, and 'tater's in from the store, and filled them with fresh chips from Farm store... cost like $6... for a big bag...
then, sewed up some 'bags' out of an old pillow case, and installed some zippers in them, and hanging strings, and viola... instant fresheners, biodegradable, and cheap.. toss one in a helmet, or a boot' and hang one on the hanger inside the Stich when it hung up...
can't beat the price... and it's a "manly smell".... like "a Lumberjack".... ( cue the Lumberjack song....)

Nice I like it  :beerchug: I have wanted  to line our walk in closet with tongue and groove Cedar for years :)

Sounds like a good plan.
Can you attach the Lumberjack song for the other (unknowing) to enjoy?
Haven't seen/heard it in awhile..

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Sounds like a good plan.
Can you attach the Lumberjack song for the other (unknowing) to enjoy?
Haven't seen/heard it in awhile..

Ride safe, Ted

here.
https://youtu.be/sZa26_esLBE

This thread got a chuckle out of me. I got home from Southern VA Monday. My wife said she smelled me when I turned in the drive. 4 days of sweat on the bike no doubt. Went to the local laundromat., turned the Motoport inside out, washed it, threw it on to dry on the way home. 5 miles later it was dry and smelled like Tide

freebird6 said:
This thread got a chuckle out of me. I got home from Southern VA Monday. My wife said she smelled me when I turned in the drive. 4 days of sweat on the bike no doubt. ...

I noticed she smelled you, not the gear.  A shower in those 4 days on the road will really help.  :D

Chris

They make inexpensive ozone generators that you put your clothing in a closet. My friends use them on hockey gear and swear that it works.
I have offroad gear that it says I cannot wash that stinkc and I was thinking of buying one. Cabelas  sells a couple of models

Daytona_Mike said:
They make inexpensive ozone generators that you put your clothing in a closet. My friends use them on hockey gear and swear that it works.
I have offroad gear that it says I cannot wash that stinkc and I was thinking of buying one. Cabelas  sells a couple of models

:D :D :D

now THAT is funny.... Non washable OFFROAD gear....

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

priceless..

I'm thinking an old fan from the Goodwill store, a really old one, that 'sparks' when you turn it on, will work better...and create more "Ozone"...
(Applicable Space: 0.5-3 square meters ??  I always thought area was in 'cubic meters')

but, we do need to replenish that dog gone Ozone layer we have destroyed...  :great: :great: :great: :great: :great: :great:
find an old Waring Blender, or even an old Electrolux XX vacume cleaner, stick them in the closet, mix up a batch of Margherita's, and leave the motors run for 3 minutes.  you'll have more OZONE than you could produce in a month, with a USB Ozone maker....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

LOL I now right.. makes no sense.. it is this stuff.. $250 and  Do not wash or dry clean..  I dont know how to get the funk out
https://tinyurl.com/y97y2olb

Daytona_Mike said:
LOL I now right.. makes no sense.. it is this stuff.. $250 and  Do not wash or dry clean..  I dont know how to get the funk out
https://tinyurl.com/y97y2olb

nice looking gear...
but they advertise it and say....
"Removable impact foam for easy washing"

hey, be careful if you go "OZONE" method, you do realize Ozone rapidly degrades rubber and foam products...
:))

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_cracking

seriously tho, I was amazed at just how fast it can break down some foams, just like the foam used in the pads in riding gear (like my Stich)....
I had a bunch of 'remnant' scraps of 1/2", and 3/4" thick sheet materials, which I used for various projects ( I did have a bunch of material, which was free...), and made 'kneeling pads', for use when working on bikes,  and other padded things like on my Bike trunk as a backrest for Momma...
I had an 8x10 sheet in the garage I set my bench grinder on, and another one I set my belt/disc sander on, to keep them from moving around during use... both of those pads totally disintegrated into powder within a year... really surprised me how fast they broke down. Nice foam tho... I saved a lot to use if I wanted to make replacement pads for the Stich, and even made a nice thick (3/4" with a 'hard shell' outer from a drywall bucket plastic, laminated to it using 3M double stick trim tape) back protector, and custom sewn "sock/pouch" that fits and attaches via velcro to my Stich.. Only use it during colder months tho, as it blocks all the cooling of the rear zipper venting on the Stich.
I guess I watched Batman movies way to many times... and made my own, albeit super functional, armor.. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :great: