• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

So I rode in the rain today (ABS)

Glennn

Moped
'sickle has just ticked over 1,500kms so getting to open the throttle more now.  Today I rode home in the rain and was pleased at the amount of protection I got from the bike overall.  Wasn't pouring rain, but the 30km ride home only resulted in slightly damp arms and wet on the faceshield, the heated grips kept my handsies warm.

But it was while I was coming into my home street I thought I would check out the ABS.  I had heard of how it is supposed to feel strange and I haven't had ABS on a bike before.  The road was slick and wet, wasn't going quick, made sure the bike was full upright and I grabbed a reasonable fistful of brake - that was something that is really alien to me as a rider with 22 years of riding behind me.  Anyway, the ABS kicked in, of course, and the lever pulsed and the front jigger jigger jiggered to a stop.

I'm glad I tested this under what could be described as controlled conditions.  Wouldn't have wanted to do it for the first time in a real emergancy and have the "sensation" make me let up on the brakes when I needed them.

I agree, it's good to get a feel for them, so that you are familar with the feeling. They remind me of rumble strips or a chevy truck in feel. So it's good to know what to expect if and/or when you may have them kick in.

Glennn said:
I grabbed a reasonable fistful of brake - that was something that is really alien to me as a rider with 22 years of riding behind me.

It sounds to me like you need to go out and practice doing emergency braking at speed. You need to be familiar with what it's like to grab a handful of brake and really slow the bike down in a hurry. I'd suggest you start out at a lower speed and get the feel for it, and gradually increase your speed. I do full-on emergency brake practice runs several times a year on both bikes at about 60mph, both solo and two-up. You would be amazed how quickly I can haul a 900lb GoldWing to a stop from 60mph. The more you practice it, the better you will get, and this could save your life later on.

I was in Colorado a couple years ago on the C14 and had 5 deer come out into the road right in front of me while I was going 70mph. I was able to haul the bike to a complete and total stop, but it took every bit of my ability, and all my forearm strength I had to not get pitched over the bars. I had practiced emergency braking just a few weeks prior, and it saved my bacon, cause I instinctively knew what to do and what to expect and I just reacted and did it without thinking, cause there was no time to think about it. I got stopped less than 5 ft before I would have impacted a big buck broadside. Had I not practiced this earlier, I have no doubt I would have hit him, as it took every bit of brake force the bike had to get it hauled down.

Do your brake testing on a dry road with no traffic and a clear view in all directions and good pavement. Let the brakes cool down between runs.  To get max braking out of the linked brake system on the 2010-12 bikes, you have to apply BOTH brakes, you can't just rely on the front. Be ready to brace your body weight with your forearms, cause if you are really braking hard, it will want to pitch you right off the bike. Practice makes perfect, and could save your life. It did mine.

I've been riding for about three years now (first bike a Ninja 650R), and just bought a 2011 Concours.  Still trying to get used to the weight, especially at low speeds (tight turns seem nearly impossible for me).  As for the rain, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've ridden in it.  My concern BY FAR, is not braking hard while standing straight up in the wet, but more of getting a feel for how far I can LEAN the bike in turns.  I basically end up taking grandma turns, especially the 90-degree ones, which I'm sure is "better safe than sorry".  However, while you can certainly practice hard braking in parking lots (especially with ABS), trying to practice how much you can lean on wet streets is another story.  The penalty for overestimation is a nice low-side.  Doing the same on dry streets seems different, as I seem to have a better sense overall of the handling.  What I really need probably is some track instruction...  Well, can anyone comment on their technique for turning in the rain?  Do you really try to just keep the thing almost upright?  Yes I've heard that "wet tires have about 80% of their dry traction", but that doesn't help me much in the real world.

Bosco said:
Did you test both the front and rear?
G'day Bosco,

Yes I did try front only, and then rear only (linked).  I really had to press hard on the rear to get the ABS to engage.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
It sounds to me like you need to go out and practice doing emergency braking at speed. You need to be familiar with what it's like to grab a handful of brake and really slow the bike down in a hurry. .
Oh don't get me wrong, I know how to emergancy stop a bike WITHOUT ABS and have done so on many occassions - my Road Star is a big fat pig but I could bring her up to a stop in a damn hurry.  What I have never done though is grabbed a brake with enough force to knowingly lock the front wheel, that was the part I meant about it being alien to me.

sfsokc said:
Still trying to get used to the weight, especially at low speeds (tight turns seem nearly impossible for me).  As for the rain, I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've ridden in it.  <snip>I basically end up taking grandma turns, especially the 90-degree ones, which I'm sure is "better safe than sorry". 

I hear ya there, This is the second time in the rain for me on the GTR but the first time navigating city streets in the wet.  I have had a LOT of wet weather riding experience on other bikes but I am having to learn all over again with this bike's very high centre of gravity, plus the stock tyres did not inspire a lot of confidence.  For what it's worth though I did a couple of times try to get the traction control to engage - again under the guise of controlled conditions - and it certainly didn't want to spin up as easily as my old Yamaha Road Star did.

Glen, I didn't mean to imply anything negative about your riding skills, but I think it's a good reminder to everyone that they should go out and practice full on HARD braking every now and then so they are acquainted with the way the bike responds when they grab a full handful of front brake and stomp hard on the rear pedal. The brakes on this bike are nothing short of amazing, and you can really haul this bike to a stop in very little distance if you have practiced.

Don't sweat it, Fred. I wanted to be careful with my words as I have personally seen somone go down after snatching the front brake on their 250cc (non ABS). Only a 40kmh spill at best but he broke his upper arm in three places and when I got his boot off his his leg it felt like there was a bag of marbles under his skin. He was practicing his emergency stops.

I totally agree it is a neccassary skill to master and practice is a must in that regard - just be bloody careful.

Glennn said:
Don't sweat it, Fred. I wanted to be careful with my words as I have personally seen somone go down after snatching the front brake on their 250cc (non ABS). Only a 40kmh spill at best but he broke his upper arm in three places and when I got his boot off his his leg it felt like there was a bag of marbles under his skin. He was practicing his emergency stops.

I totally agree it is a neccassary skill to master and practice is a must in that regard - just be bloody careful.

Yea, I agree, without ABS doing emergency stop practicing would be real dangerous.  It would be like trying to learn how to walk a tightrope for the first time without any safety net. You'd have to be extremely conservative.