• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Something better than Sena 20S for 4 or 5 riders in a group?

linuxguygary

Hi All,  My wife and I have been using Sena 20S intercoms for communication, music and navigation.  With her on her own bike and they work amazingly well,  Crystal clear communication, our own music via Bluetooth from our phones etc.  They work so well I convinced other friends to get the same units.  But sadly in our small group of usually 3 or 4 , but sometimes 5 riders,  the intercom quality drops dramatically with each additional unit we add.  We all have the latest firmware, and have tried many variations of connection modes, group intercom, HD intercom, with and without earbuds and just regular with the same results, popping and crackling in the audio.  Also we have a hard time keeping the connection up for more than maybe 20 miles without needing to reconnect ..  Connectors are all tight and freshly cleaned,  cables good etc.

A google search finds many complaints about this usually described as popcorn sounds in the speakers, but no resolution.  I have used these for close to 3 years and we have fought to make them usable.  They work so well 1 to 1 but fail miserably in a group.  We have spent many hours troubleshooting all the recommendation online and nothing has had an effect on the noisy connection.

So my question is does anyone know of something that works well in a group of maybe 6 riders max.  And also supports the Bluetooth connection from a phone for music?  We are not opposed to replacing the Sena's with something else entirely IF they will work properly .

Gary during the recent Scala Group buy, the seller offered to help us with technical problems.
My apologies; I'm leaving rite now. Will try to find the info later.

Update: I found the info and PM'd it to you.

If you can find the discussion on the Forum his info is there.

I think I recall that a new Scala Unit will be offered soon.

Ride safe, Ted

Thank guys in touch with Ted's recommendation, we'll see how that goes ..

JD  do you have experience with the AMP pro in a group ? 

LinuxGuyGary said:
Thank guys in touch with Ted's recommendation, we'll see how that goes ..

JD  do you have experience with the AMP pro in a group ?
Unfortunately here my friends don't have the comms, so it's only me... but the device is top notch!

Hi Gary,  Just wondering...  Because I don't have these.
Does it have good VOX or PPT working for all units?  The last thing you want is 5-6 open mics all adding noise to the line.  It really needs to be PPT for groups in my mind.
PPT  = push to talk button
VOX = voice activated transmitting.

If just one of your friends vox is not set correct and is transmitting bike noise to everyone it will suck for everyone.

Thanks for the response and suggestions.  If these didn't work so well 1 to 1 I would just have assumed it was a terrible design, but they work and seem to be very good in every aspect EXCEPT in the group.

The Sena's ONLY have VOX,  but the trigger sensitivity is adjustable ..  They definitely sound like there is an open mic in group mode,  but the noise is not bike or road noise, its a pop and crackle (Hard to describe) and happens even at standstill with a quiet background.  But I will check the groups VOX sensitivity maybe some are set low and holding things open...

Thanks again .

Sena just released the 30K just for this issue! https://www.sena.com/product/30k/

With the mesh network, you can easily add riders but also when they leave or rejoin again later, it easily corrects itself and maintains a clear communication connection.

I would like to get this as I have a 20S also, but waiting for reviews and feedback and if plays well with existing Sena units.

Akumu said:
Love my group setup with Cardo Packtalks. (Smartpack for 4 or less riders.)

Question Akumu, you are using them in a group 4 or more ?       

Is the audio quality good in that mode and noise minimal ??

Thanks  :great:

Never had more than 4, but never noticed any audio quality loss. No 'noise' at all. None. People get automatically reconnected...it's a honey of a setup. It's not Bluetooth, so I think that might be the ticket. Dynamic Meshwork is here to stay. (As Sena has found out over a year later now...)

There's lots of reviews around for the Packtalk, as well.

I have been reading and watching reviews and I have decided that the Sena 30k  does not come close to the  specs or options of the Scala PackTalk
I am going to order  the  Cardo  Scala  PackTalk.  Scala claims 5 miles vs  Sena's  1 mile.  I really doubt 5 miles but what I also found was the standard banana plug for my custom earbuds on the Scala. I dont see that on the Sena.

The standard mini plug for earbuds does exists on the Sena 20s on the bracket, I use it almost exclusively.  I assume the 30 will be similar.