• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Sonic 1.1Kg springs and 15wt fork oil - Installed!

Yamahawk

Hi All,
  I just got done installing my new Sonic 1.1Kg fork springs, and 15wt oil. Wow, what a difference... I remember when I first bought this bike, 2006 Concours, and rode it home from Summit, N.J. to Toledo, Ohio... I thought it had something loose in the front as it would hunt and peck all over the road. I increased the preload adjusters almost all the way, and it helped, but not a lot. Then, I installed some Avon tires, and that improved, but the bike just didn't handle the way I thought a sport tourer should. It never really rode well.
Now, with the front end done, and the 17" wheels on it, and the ZX9 rear shock with the ZZR1200 spring and preload adjuster, it rides 200% better than when I first got it. I think all it really needs is a stiffer rear spring for the shock combo, and it will be a corner carver, like it should be. I really want to pull the shock and send it to Jamie Daugherty and have him rebuild it with the proper spring rate and damping, but that is a winter project, and I really don't want to wait until he has some free time to do it. If it needs more travel, he can do that also by replacing the shock rod too. Anyway, I am very happy with the way it rides now. The Conti Motions also are a great set of tires for this machine. I have the 120/70-17 front, and a 150/70-17 rear, on the GPZ1100 front rim, and the Mean Streak rear. Nice ride, and good grip in the rain. Hope this helps someone make the decision to upgrade their suspension/rims and get a great handling machine!
Charlie

I have the same front end set up with Gold valve emulators.  It IS a game changer for stability and
confidence in the corners.  I did the C14 Rear shock, and the combination transforms the bike's ride.

Glad you like the new set up...  Enjoy!

Thanks, McFly! I am very happy with the ride and the handling. I whipped it back together pretty fast, so I still have to align the forks, I believe as when I let go of the handlebars, it pulls slightly to the left, I have the Murph's fork brace also, so the next thing will be to loosen up the triple trees and brace, and pump the forks lol...
Charlie

Lee said:
What do you guys weigh if one might inquire?

I weight 220lbs.  The spring I chose (Sonic 1.1) was more geared for comfort than high performance.
The ride isn't harsh, but the suspension is firmer.