• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Soupy's or Muzzy's????

kawgirl

Tricycle
I've read all of the threads I could find on the forum regarding lowering links and decided that is what I need to truly flat foot the bike.  Soupy's for the Concours is made of "gold zinc plated steel or stainless steel, NOT aluminum. The ends have a 1/2" thread and are black oxided steel, NOT aluminum. Aluminum threads DO NOT last and are dangerous!" and Muzzy's is "made from high quality billet aluminum and gold anodized for strength and durability."  Is it just a matter of preference?  I don't want to lower the bike more than an 1 or 1 1/2 inches but I sure don't want a "surprise" somewhere down the road.  I have to admit to total ignorance in this regards.  I've had numerous bikes over the years and this is the first time ever that I need to lower a bike.  I sure would greatly appreciate your opinions between the two products.

I have the Muzzy 1 1/2 lowering links and love them makes me way more confident at stops. just remember to shorten the side stand I shortened mine 3/4 of an inch. Also some say the handeling will be different if you dont raise the forks some. I did not but the way I ride I dont really notice much of a difference though. But you do lose some ground clearence for sure. I ride 2 up some and have not bottomed out yet.

When i purchased my 09 it had those Muzzy links on it, I took them off i wanted the extra clearance.They are quality pieces,cannot ever see them failing,they are very robust. I can't see why you would have to modify the sidestand,Mine was stock and the bike had sufficent lean when parked. 

Anyways my Muzzy lowering links are avalaible for sale if any one wants them,What are they new?

I bought a set of soupys and found out when I installed them that the center stand must be removed to use them they are for sale if you are interested . I have now installed the muzzys and they work well and the center stand can still be used with a block or a lot of effort without . Rode today with the links and felt ok but did not push it hard as the road was wet and cold . Riding this time of year in Canada is a rarity but the day was nice and I wanted to try them .

Kawgirl said:
I've read all of the threads I could find on the forum regarding lowering links and decided that is what I need to truly flat foot the bike.  Soupy's for the Concours is made of "gold zinc plated steel or stainless steel, NOT aluminum. The ends have a 1/2" thread and are black oxided steel, NOT aluminum. Aluminum threads DO NOT last and are dangerous!" and Muzzy's is "made from high quality billet aluminum and gold anodized for strength and durability."  Is it just a matter of preference?  I don't want to lower the bike more than an 1 or 1 1/2 inches but I sure don't want a "surprise" somewhere down the road.  I have to admit to total ignorance in this regards.  I've had numerous bikes over the years and this is the first time ever that I need to lower a bike.  I sure would greatly appreciate your opinions between the two products.

Neither one, go to Precision Engineer  http://www.preeng.com/xcart/home.php?cat=1

They will treat you better than either one and you 'll get better quality engineering on their stuff

nando said:
Kawgirl said:

Neither one, go to Precision Engineer  http://www.preeng.com/xcart/home.php?cat=1

They will treat you better than either one and you 'll get better quality engineering on their stuff

The Muzzy links and the Precision Engineering links Nando lists are pre-set lengths, and so no worries being aluminum they will be very reliable. I have Muzzy links on, they are rock solid.

Now, I take issue with Nando implying Muzzy will treat the OP badly. If you place the order with Muzzy, they will ship it to you. Sure, they aren't Murph, but who cares. Their product is good. If the price is right for you, and you want 1-1/2" lowering, buy from them. The PE units are either 1" or 2", if you want lower or higher than Muzzy.

The point is, these have no threads to wear out. They are just struts.