• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Southern Oregon Get Together

DamDan

After reviewing the new membership directory, I see that about 1/4 of the Oregon membership is in what I consider southern Oregon. Meaning Roseburg south.

Wanted to open up a thread looking for interest in a mini regional held in Grants Pass. Maybe as late as early September. Oregon has some great riding in September. There is a lot of great riding to be found in that neck of the woods.

PS: I was born in Eugene (quack, quack) but was raised a Pelican. Anyone know what I am talking about?? Trivia!!!!!!!!!!

DamDan:  Pelican, I don't know.  Have a friend who says he's a platypus since his undergrad work was OSU and grad school was UO.

I went to so many schools, none in OR, I'm just a Heinz 57 Variety mongrel.

Good on ya for organizing a good thing!  Too bad I'm in the SE WA desert.

JathkaJoe

Will be riding thru that SE WA desert on my "Selkirk Loop" ride later this year! 

Klamath Union High School Pelicans!!!  :)

After a Southern Oregon Ride that I just completed, I am even more determined to host this event. I met up with one fellow COGGER for lunch in Bonanza and talked to another by both phone and emails. Both were "new to me" and was glad to have been able to make contact. What I plan on doing is sending out a mass mailing to all of the "Southern Oregon" members and have them tell me which weekend fits their schedule best. I think I'll try to include some Northern Californians also. THEN, I'll make plans around that majority and post the event. This will be sometime in "mid" September. Depending. LOL So, stay tuned.

After communication with a few of the GP locals, I am shooting for a move of my "4th Saturday Ride" to Grants Pass in September. I'll send a personal invite to all those within 100 miles and get a feel for attendance. Anyone else can come and I'll scout us up a decent motel using input from the "locals". We also have at least one member who can provide tent space.

After performing a pre ride for this month's 4th Saturday ride this coming Sunday morning, I'm headed to the Grants Pass area to scout gathering location info and ride a part of a ride that I will be hosting as my 4th Saturday Oregon ride in September. Keep tuned for further info but I plan on having having more than just the ride. With a gathering for dinner that Saturday evening and door prizes provided by COG. I've met a few of you "Southerners" and hope to meet a few more, soon.

:popcorn:

Schedule and weather permitting I will take my new tent just about anywhere.  :motonoises:

I'm brand new here :sign0104:, but from the tone of the forum it seems to me I'm in good company!
I live just outside of Grants Pass, am excited to meet other enthusiasts, no matter what they ride.
I can provide tent space, I'm about 5 miles from downtown. Looking forward to September!

OK. Here are some details! Some of this will be on the calendar shortly but this is easier for me.  After talking to some of the "locals", I've decided to HQ the ride at the KOA which is listed as their Medford/Gold Hill site with a Central Point address. Confusing enough? LOL The actual address is 12297 Blackwell Rd., Central Point and is adjacent to exit 40 of Interstate 5. I rode by there last month but it was too early to stop by. I DID wait long enough (0600) for Patti's Kitchen, 502 2nd (SR234), Gold Hill, GPS 42.43138,-123.05032, to open and had breakfast there. This is only about a mile from the KOA.  Good service, food and prices will see more COGGERS there at the end of September, I'm sure.

I have reserved one of KOA's Kamping Kabins, which will sleep up to three, for two nights, Friday the 27th and Saturday the 28th. They say the Kabins sleep four but that's only if two sleep in the larger bed. NOT in MY cabin! LOL  There are also a set of bunks in each cabin and Steve Mustoe has indicated that he wouldn't mind using one of the one's in my Kabin which leaves one more for anyone who wants to chip in $20.00 a night for it. The Kabins are $60.00 plus tax. Tent spots are also available at $30.00/per spot and I believe up to six can stay at a tent site. If you have detail questions about lodging I may be able to help and their "info" phone for that location is 541-855-7710. They do have WI-FI, swimming pool, etc.  You can see more about the facility and reserve tent sites or Kabins on their web site or via 800-562-7608. There are other lodging options available in the area also.

I'm going to hold a dinner get together on Saturday evening at Abby's Pizza in Rogue River which is about five-six miles from the KOA. Their address is 121 Pine St., Rogue River, GPS 42.43517,-123.17020. There WILL be door prizes!!!  : )

I also rode a major portion of the ride that I will host on Saturday. If you want a preview of that ride, send me a direct email and I will send a copy of the map as an attachment to a reply. With luck, we'll have rides hosted by others also so that the day will be full of riding. Sunday morning could see a ride also. We'll see. I'm riding down, probably via the coast, on Friday and departing about noon on Sunday, headed back to Portland.

Hope to see a dozen or more at dinner on Saturday, with as many members we have in the area. Stop by to let me know you're around on Friday evening and I'll buy you a beer or a root beer. Your choice. LOL I'll have a fire pit going as long as the fire gods allow it.

MORE good NEWS! I checked with Charlie and it looks as though I'll be buying the pizza and the root beer, via COG, on Saturday evening. So, free food, drink AND door prizes after a day of riding! WOO HOO!!! :great:

Hey Dan, would that third bunk still be available? Looks like I can make this get together, looking forward to the ride.
Mark

Third bunk IS still available! Or was, I should say. It's yours now. I'm thinking that if someone else were to sign up for another of the "Kamping Kabins" that they would have a full house by the time the rally happens also. Just heard back from one of the locals and we WILL have a more than one ride!! WOO HOO!!!

I know that there are more than TWO of us planning on attending this mini regional/get together. Please "sign up" on the events calendar, or contact me directly, if you are even thinking of attending, please. There IS a little planning involved.  : )

Dan, I intend to participate, where is the "Event calendar" ?  I can't seem to find it on the site.

OK gang. I am going to do my best at attending my 1st COG ride. Since I live in Grants Pass I can hardy pass it up. It will be a good time with D.D. in charge. Now I just need to fix the rear tire that blew out on the ride to work this am :'(

I just reserved a tent site for Fri & Sat and the lady I spoke with knew nothing about a bunch of motorcycles coming in that weekend. And FYI, if you are not staying at the KOA there is a $5 charge to come on the property.  ::)

You WARNED her?????????????????????????  LOL  Thanks for the tip on the $5 "parking fee" that I will deal with for those who want to just stop by and visit on Friday evening. Saturday evening we'll be down the road in Rogue River eating free pizza and getting door prizes!

Actually, I didn't figure on many riders coming from out of the area that would be spending more than one night but it's looking like there may be more than a FEW of us. GREAT!!! This is mainly to gather the southern Oregon members together for a few rides but as usual, all are welcome.  And yes, we are praying for sun so that the C14 riders can make it.  :)

While I'm on here, I'll offer my place in Portland as a layover spot for anyone coming from the north on THURSDAY. That's Thursday since Friday, I'm riding down by way of the southern coast of Oregon starting at Reedsport and turning back to Grants Pass after crossing the border into NorCal. So, there will be an early departure from Portland on Friday.  I have both a couch that makes into a bed and an air mattress that could be used and you can use the cat's bathroom in the AM while I use mine. Yes, I have A cat so if you are not a cat person take that into consideration. Let me know ahead of time though since I have other tentative plans that I will change. Just for you! HA!

Dan,

Slight hijack here.....

Last night at the hotel a couple on a very sharp Goldwing pulled in and once I started chatting with them, it turns out they know you (and are willing to say so  ;D ).  Apparently Steven (retired USAF and works for the VA at Lewis-McChord and rides a cardinal red 07 or 08 wing) does about 10 different tours a year, including Rose City Grand Tour.  They said they really loved doing the Dam tour with you and that it was one of their favorites.  Looks like I'm going to have to try and fit that one in the schedule.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

To Gumby;  OUCH, OUCH, OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  LOL

Yes, Jeff. I know the "Wing Couple" you are talking about. I have met a lot of good folks over the past ten years, riding around in our great PNW!  Hope they had a good tire on the back of that Wing!  LOL

James post just touches on the story of his two loves. I need to hook Steve Mustoe up with him so we can get a well written story for the newsletter that should be in the Concourier. Plus, did anyone notice what James membership number is? He's by FAR, the old man of the area as far as COG membership goes and I am very happy that an event that I put together is his first!

Hey, Gumby! Check the "details" on the calendar and tell Woodie that if he's coming, to sign up! I'm going to have the same count on door prizes as sign ups.
It'll be an early morning ride for you two, coming down from Roseburg! LOL  Breakfast and meeting at 0700! Ride @ 0800.
We may cut you a "little" slack on Sunday morning but not much.

WOO-HOO! The 10 forecast is looking good. Hope it stays that way.

Since I haven't had any takers on staying at my place on the way down, I am now withdrawing that option so I can get a head start on Friday and ride to the Eugene area where I'll meet up with Steve Mustoe for the ride to Gold Hill via Brookings. LOL

Well, my brother and I now have a cabin reserved for this Friday.  I am checking to see if they offer AARP or Vet discounts. It sounds like this coming weekend should be fun. Jay, I think those of us who didn't make it to Idaho,would sure like to see yer bike in person, so c'mon down to Central Pointless, so we can all drool over it.  See y'all there!  :beerchug:

Bruce said:
Jay, I think those of us who didn't make it to Idaho,would sure like to see yer bike in person, so c'mon down to Central Pointless, so we can all drool over it.  See y'all there!  :beerchug:

I wish I could Bruce, it sounds like fun! Unfortunately I already have plans, I think Gumby is going though.

Cool, on the Kabin, Bruce. See you there.

Also, more good NEWS! We have even more "door prizes" developing. James Dennis has a brother that is some sort of big shot with Dutch Brothers and has donated enough gift cards for all, I hear. Also, Woodie has a gift cert that he won at National that he's throwing into the pot in case someone can use it. The way that I do door prizes is, I call a number and if it's yours, you get the pick of what's available. So, the sooner your number is called, the better selection you'll have. There will be gifts for all who register.

Hey Dan, Might be able to meet up with you and Steve in Hiouchi on the 199 if you have a estimated time when you would be cruising through, I take it you will be riding the 101 to the 199 correct? Mark

We're (3 riders) all set up for a ride down the coast and a meet with Mark to ride on into the GP area.

Here is some scoop on the rides. Besides my "4th Saturday ride" that I'm squeezing into the AM on Saturday, per the forum calendar of events, local James Dennis is hosting a ride that will start at about 1PM with a gathering at Rainey's Market which is about 10 miles east of Gold Hill on Hwy234. His ride takes in Butte Falls and the Hyatt Reservoir area, including a run on Hwy66!!! Then, Sunday morning, gather at the Black Bear Diner, 1900 NW 6th St., Grants Pass for breakfast at 8AM and a 9AM ride to Happy Camp hosted by Bob V. Yes, we're going to California!  : )  Or is it Jefferson???  LOL

I want to thank James and Dennis for putting the effort into hosting these.

Don't forget dinner Saturday evening at Abby's Pizza ( on COG ) in Rogue River at about 630PM.

Hope to see you soon!

Hey All,

I just registered for the event.  Glad to get in one more good ride before the rainy season starts in earnest.
Looks like it's shaping up to be quite an event.  Thanks, Dan, for making this happen.

Anybody have an unused cabin bunk or want to share a tent site at the KOA?  I'm happy to share expenses.

Paul

I have a tent site reserved for Saturday night. I imagine it is big enough for two tents, you may want to call and check it out.

The weather has gone from good to not so good and looks like may keep getting worse. I want to ride down the coast and when it is rainy windy on the coast I call NO FUN.  :truce:

This is going to be a Friday morning call for me.

Decision has been made, I am going to bag this ride.  :'(

1. Because of the weather change.
    2. My mother usually babysits my house and dog when I leave on trips and she will not be able to this weekend.

Well guys, I woke up with one hell of a chest cold this AM, and then I see the weather calls for heavy rains throughout the valley from border to border. I have to bugger out for this weekend  I called the KOA, told the gal on the phone about my cold...she said I sound horrible, and is only charging me $10! I hope everyone who still goes, has a good time! Sorry Dan, maybe next time!

Pretty good turn out today considering the threat of rain. I went to breakfast without my bike (long story), I decided to try and meet the group somewhere along the morning ride. Of course got dressed to ride, and battery is dead :mad: It's charging now, I'll try and make the afternoon ride.  ::)

Dan, Thank you for putting on  the SOGT. Most of all, thank you for providing such great weather sat. Impressed you even provided us a little sunshine. JDs afternoon ride was super duper. I think we had about 320 miles of GOOD riding! Oh, and also, thanks for door prizes and pizza. The ride back to Roseburg last night was very "white knuckle". Lots of weather!
Gumby, sorry no pics, to busy riding. :)

Thanks for a great ride D.D. My connie and I have not had that much fun in years, and meeting the gang was great too. You all are not as strange as you look! Hope to see you all soon. J.D.

Attachments

• DSC02337.jpg
    DSC02337.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC02338.jpg
    DSC02338.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC02335.jpg
    DSC02335.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC02334.jpg
    DSC02334.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 106
Nice Job Folks and way to go Dam Dan. Nice Pics. Let me know if any SW folks showed up and if I owe you some money! I hope I do! October ride , on the north coast of CA Oct 11,12 and 13 if'n anyone wants to head a little more South. Way to get out there and RIDE!
Mark

Thanks for putting this together, Dan.  Even though we didn't ride, Patti and I had a great time seeing all you guys and some beautiful country -- even if it was from the cage.  We will see you at next month's 4th Saturday ride. 

Attachments

• 2013-09-28 07.52.09 - Copy.jpg
    2013-09-28 07.52.09 - Copy.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 2013-09-28 07.52.41 - Copy.jpg
    2013-09-28 07.52.41 - Copy.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG-20130928-00132 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-20130928-00132 - Copy.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG-20130928-00133 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-20130928-00133 - Copy.jpg
    279.8 KB · Views: 107
WOW, is right! We had a great turn out for the Saturday breakfast (15), rides (2 groups of 12) and dinner (16) that night. Hopefully there were no more "issues" than what I have heard of. We had one rider that had an ego squelsher (really a word?)of a drop and one with a mirror "issue" on Saturday. Then, after being a real sport and riding the Hap, Hap Happy Camp ride with me "on his way home" to Crescent City, Mark had not just one but TWO flats on Sunday. The last one was the last straw and got his C10 a ride home.  : (  But, as far as I know, no one had any major mishaps and with the weather that we had on Sunday, I'm surprised and glad. With the Happy Camp ride, my chasing down Iron Gate Dam and the ride home, I ended up with just a few miles short of 500 Sunday. 1400 for the three day weekend. Just right! Got pretty wet on the way home though since I only wore my summer jacket and the lightweight rain pants that I had only helped for the first few hundred miles. I did not melt though!  : )

It was really good meeting as many of the "locals" as I did. Thanks again to both JD and Bob V for their efforts on hosting rides. I hope that everyone liked the "official" ride that I hosted Saturday morning. Woody says that he figured where my DamDan handle came from. LOL We DID stop by a dam on the ride, also.  More on the event, later.

PS: Thanks to all who posted pics! I got a few but not as many as normal since I "misplaced" my camera for a while.

THANKS Dan. ME and my mirror made it home okay. Thanks to Bill and his TAPE. Though I rode to work today with WET Gear. THANKS again for a great weekend of riding.

Hey Dan I thought yours had the suspect rear tire? I guess you never know. Glad you all made it safe though. I am shopping for a new front tire mine scrubbed away on hwy 66.

Thanks again Dan for setting up the ride, hope you do it again next year! With a new gel cell battery in my bike, V65Bill, Bob Rainey, & I rode Monday morning over to Happy Camp for lunch under partly sunny skies. A nice leisurely 140 mile round trip. So I did at least get in a few miles with COG members. Bike ran great, but Bob rode it, and felt it needed some attention. He volunteered to stop by on his way South in a couple of weeks, and help me adjust the valves, and help me check it out further. It really was great meeting everyone, and hope to see everyone again in the future.
Bob. 

Yes, it was MY bike's rear tire that was the suspect but you never can tell, I guess. I did a little 75 mile ride today but that's about it for that tire. Not sure what all happened in Mark's situation. There was a fair amount of rock dodging on the south side of the hill coming down into Happy Camp and I made brief contact with a couple but nothing bad.

I wanted to do a ride report on each day, so here is Friday's. I had ridden down from Portland, with Bob R in tow on Thursday, for multiple reasons. Friday morning, I met up with Phil and Steve, close to where SR38 connects with Interstate 5. From there, we rode to Reedsport in cool by mostly dry conditions and stopped for breakfast. From there, we headed on down US101 with pretty decent weather getting better as we rode south. I know that the "north coast" has some great views but never fail to give the "south coast" higher marks. Really beautiful AND not as much traffic. After getting my last two Oregon RCMC Grand Tour passport stamps along the way, we crossed the border into California and soon found Mark (from Crescent City) waiting to join up along SR199. After crossing back into Oregon we stopped in Wonder for a late lunch at Kate's Redwood Bar & Grill. Kate is the sister of fellow COGGER Kenneth Bain of Grants Pass. Great service and food!!! AND, "BIKE ONLY" parking in front. We found Bob R, Bill H and BOB V about to get their order served as we walked in and with Kenneth showing up, we ended up with eight COGGERS in a little place that probably rarely sees eight of anybody at once. After a bite and a visit we headed on out to the KOA in Gold Hill to unpack. I asked Mark to pick up some ice, beer/root beer while I rode into Medford to talk to the Kawasaki dealer about discounts and gift certs. That went well and upon my return found a cold one waiting and a crowd of COGGERS to shoot the breeze with! Great DAY!!!  Will cover MY view of Saturday on my next post.

Before I do any more posting on this event, I want to take the time to thank all of those who participated in any way. Especially Dan P and Bob R for making the ride down from Washington in support of this gathering. I really enjoyed getting to meet and ride with the Southern Oregon members who were able to make it! A special thanks to Mark, who rode the Happy Camp Ride with me Sunday before we went our separate ways, him west to Crescent City and me on east to Iron Gate Dam before heading on home to Portland. All on one of the wettest days this year in the area! One of the reasons Mark rode with me was due to the condition of MY rear tire. I took it pretty easy with the lack of tread that I had and made it all the way home that day before dark. I just hope that with the tire issues that HE had, Mark made it home before dark! Thanks, Mark!!!! Every once in awhile, this AAD position pays off.  : )

No problem Dan, happy to be of service. Made it home after dark, seems the tire plug I put in the rear tire came out and I was stranded again in the middle of nowhere on the 101, no cell signal, no Co2 canisters left, and out of plugs, so hiked to the nearest call box and called a tow truck, made it home safe but wet, cold and tired. I'm ready to do it again!