• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Speakers

Hey guys, im looking into putting some speakers on my 95 connie. Have any of you all put any tunes on your bike? If so lemme see some pics and what you did to it please. Thanks.

Most do so by using ear buds of some kind, Or putting speakers in the helmet. I have an Autocomm system for an intercomm when the wife and I ride together. Has a headset that fits into the helmet with speakers and a mic. Also has inputs for music and the radar detector. Does fancy stuff like dim the music when you talk, etc. -- This is how I listen to tunes even solo. Although generally I only listen to tunes when slabbing it. When riding more scenic backroads I like to enjoy the view AND for more spirited riding I leave the tunes off as well.

+1 on slybones. This way your not sharing your poor taste in music with the rest of the world. My concours just loves to lay down and roll around in gravel

i installed a helmet mounted radio/bluetooth/mp3-ipod player 79.00 on ebay its a 500m x 2 interphone it clips to your full face or 3/4 has 2 speakers that you fish thru the padding and velcro pacthes stick the speakers to the padding....i use the fm radio all the time ....dont have an ipod or cell phone so i dont know how that stuff works ....its worth it to me... thenks geofd

i installed a helmet mounted radio/bluetooth/mp3-ipod player 79.00 on ebay its a 500m x 2 interphone it clips to your full face or 3/4 has 2 speakers that you fish thru the padding and velcro pacthes stick the speakers to the padding....i use the fm radio all the time ....dont have an ipod or cell phone so i dont know how that stuff works ....its worth it to me...
Can you find a link to the one you got?

hello,the link is aiwholesale@live.com i checked their rating and it was good...awnser all questions..install took 5 mins i have a nolan 103 and did have to cut some of the rubber collar out of the way only 2 inches there is another mounting option its a glue plate but i did not want to do that...before using i think you have to charge for 8 hrs again i like it and im not a gaget person have a stereo on the bike but can hear it anyway this is much easier....good luck geofd

It might be a good idea to check the laws of your state regarding ear buds. Because they tend to seal out other sounds to provide fidelity for the music, they are illegal in many states.

The better solution, as mentioned by others, is helmet speakers. Not the greatest fidelity, but you can't have everything. HTH.

An even more interesting question is of those states that outlaw earbuds, how many outlaw deaf drivers? For me, earbuds are a combination of hearing protection and music. Even if I didn't have music I would be using earplugs to protect my hearing.

Ditto on that, Tim.  I always wear ear plugs. I still can hear all the traffic sounds but the wind noise is reduced and the music from the speakers sounds fairly good.

I've been using these from JVC for several years.  They are very much like the home made once in a previous post.  They have a slider on the wires to help reduce tangles.  Under $20

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028680&pathId=162&page=1

Best way to use and mount helmet speakers is to think of them as headphones.  They have to be mounted into the helmet so they sit as close to your ear as a good pair of headphones would.  For every bit of miss alignment and distance difference you get a huge loss of fidelity.  My speakers ARE a good set of headphone with the head piece broke off.  The push oh so lightly on my ears in just the right spot.  They sound awesome.

I agree, but mine STILL have the headphone seals and cushions in place.
http://entertainment.webshots.com/album/570750589DORDaa
Start with some awesome hi-fi headphones like these Audio Technicas and you'll have concert sound as well as excellent noise reduction (not noise cancelling, noise reduction due to the excellent isolation qualities of the headphones).
Here are the phones i used.
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/0edf909675b1be4d/index.html

Mine are just regular over the ear headphones and fit in the normal speaker area most helmets provide now.  I do like how yours block more outside sound but fitting them into a helmet would be tricky at best and who knows what effect that large mass might have in a serious get off. :eek:

smithr said:
Mine are just regular over the ear headphones and fit in the normal speaker area most helmets provide now.  I do like how yours block more outside sound but fitting them into a helmet would be tricky at best and who knows what effect that large mass might have in a serious get off. :eek:
Any potential damage they could do is too far from my heart to kill me so what's the problem? ;)