• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Speedo cable

D

dpryan

Speedometer not reading on yesterday's commute. Searched the forum and my Haynes manual and didn't see much on the subject, other than cleaning/lubing instructions. Other than checking the inner cable and making sure it's 'seating' correctly up near the instrument cluster, any other suggestions? Or is it new cable time? Thanks in advance....

You didn't mention if you recently changed front tire. A simple check is to remove the connector by the front wheel and check the protruding portion of the cable. Mine broke near that end, so it was an easy find. Just make sure you keep a bit of the bend in the cable housing when you check. Twist the end a bit and see if it feels really loose, or if you can have someone check the speedo to see if the needle flickers at all as you twist. If it does, then you have a gear problem at the front wheel. Otherwise, it's cable replacement time.

It's common for the speedo cable to vibrate off the back of the speedo head. I put mine back on with blue loctite and it hasn't budged in 60,000+ miles. You might need to remove the left fairing pocked to get easy access to the back of the speedo.

Yea, check the instrument end to make sure it is screwed on tight. If so take the speedo cable off the front wheel. Mine broke about five or six inches up the line from the front. Kind of easy to replace. Getting the instrument end to screw on is a pain. Good luck. '02 Connie COG # 6662 Dallas, Tx

IME these will break if ya don't keep em lubed. Since I've been doin it every valve adj (~12k), no more breakage. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg