• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SPOOFAK Update

bergmen

I posted in this section in order for max audience. Mods, move this over to the "Accessories C10" if that is more appropriate.

I just talked to Gary Murphy on the phone this morning and we discussed the current state of affairs of the Spin On Oil Filter Adaptor Kit (AKA SPOOFAK). It appears as though market saturation is near and we are discussing just how many more of these kits we will order to keep on the shelves. If in fact the field has matured to the extent that demand wanes, I don't want to see Gary get stuck with expensive inventory on the shelf.

As a result, we have decided to stock about 50 more kits to see if there is continued interest. We will consider, after we see how this goes, whether it is worth keeping this kit in the listings. It is most economical (and fair) to buy the custom machined parts from the machine shop in quantities that make it worth the set-up and raw material acquisition. I insist on source certified material for the machining and this can be a bit of a logistical issue at times. The machine shop has been exceptionally good at meeting our needs (charging us for parts at 100 quantity prices when we only order 50 sets) but even 50 may be too much if demand lowers to the point of considering whether to sunset this product or not.

I'm just putting this out there for those who have been on the fence about getting a kit someday. There is likely to be a time when we will hang it up on the Bergmen Engineering Spin On Oil Filter Adaptor Kit and it would take a concerted demand for us to crank up the delivery chain again. I'm going to post this over on the ZRXOA Forum as well to give those hooligans another chance also.

It's all good.

Dan

I only wish I had got mine when I bought the cycle.  :-[

The kit was very easy to install.  Now it is paying for itself with every oil change.

I am still running my original test pilot adaptor and it has been flawless since day one.
Thanks Dan for a great product and for letting me be one of the guinea pigs.

Jim Snyder said:
I am still running my original test pilot adaptor and it has been flawless since day one.
Thanks Dan for a great product and for letting me be one of the guinea pigs.

Without assistance by trustworthy experts like yourself, Jim, the kit would not have attained the performance objectives that it did. For those who do not know, Jim was selected to be one of the ten "test pilots" for the pre-production prototype adaptor kits and was asked to beat the thing up to see if there were any weaknesses. They took on some level of risk since they put their motorcycles (and engines) out there to run specific tests and provided invaluable inputs to refine the design.

There are about 1,000 kits out there in the field and the only returns have been with ZRX owners who have had difficulties fitting the kits with after market exhaust pipes that physically interfere. No performance related issues whatsoever. The Voyager crowd turned their collective noses up at the kit since the chief poo-bah was prejudiced against the kit from the outset (for silly reasons having more to do with stupid riding habits than anything else).

It's all good.

Dan

I installed mine today. I went with a Purolator Pure One PL14612 (short one) and it touches the plastic just a bit.  I was wondering what others are using.  I'm contemplating cutting the belly fairing panel so I can run the taller filters and maybe change the oil without having to remove that fairing.  Anyone have any thoughts on doing this? Do a circular cut or whack out the whole cross piece? The cutout link on the Bergman site isn't working but it doesn't appear to be much to it.  I've been running about 1k mi/mo, mostly commuting, so anything to make it quicker and easier I like.

Not sure of the Bergman filter hole size but using a cut out for the stocker for years.

Marty said:
SNIP  I'm contemplating cutting the belly fairing panel so I can run the taller filters and maybe change the oil without having to remove that fairing. 

Marty said:
I installed mine today. I went with a Purolator Pure One PL14612 (short one) and it touches the plastic just a bit.  I was wondering what others are using. 

I have used the Fram TG-7317 filter (the one with the black rubber grip) since day one with zero issues.
It is the longer filter and I modified my belly pan to allow better access. I chose the longer filter for the additional capacity, and the fact that by it sticking down by the belly pan it provides an additional oil cooling affect as air passes over and around the filter and takes additional heat away. A dremel tool works great for modifying the pan, and the little sand paper drums work great for smoothing the edges.

this is one of the best upgrades to the bike that you can do. very easy to install and it makes changing the oil filter alot easier and you can stop in a walmart or automotive store to pick up a car style spin on filter instead of having to order a oem one. I don't understand the connection between ease of oil change and riding style of the voyager crowd.

I installed this on my '88 and I made a roughly half circle cut in the belly pan. I used a hand saw that uses blades for a jig saw.

mellow yellow said:
this is one of the best upgrades to the bike that you can do. very easy to install and it makes changing the oil filter alot easier and you can stop in a walmart or automotive store to pick up a car style spin on filter instead of having to order a oem one. I don't understand the connection between ease of oil change and riding style of the voyager crowd.

I shouldn't have been too harsh with those guys. The oil filter apparatus hangs low and to the rear and looks vulnerable. But I explained that there would likely be no problem as long as they didn't ride off a curb or something (I explain this in detail on my website). I suggested that this is risky to the undercarriage of a motorcycle anyway, SPOOFAK kit or not. So the guy decides to buy a kit and then procedes to ride off a curb and bash the filter. We took it back for a full refund and decided to aim this at the ZZR, ZRX, Concours, etc. crowd.

The only issues with the Rexxers so far has been interferences with some aftermarket exhaust systems (Akrapovic comes to mind) that prevent installation and service.

BTW, thanks everyone for the kind words on the kit, it will be seven years old in May of this year:

2018376680053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is a view of the modification drawing:

2347587690053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

I can send the pdf to anyone who wants one (I'm not sure why the link is busted on my site) by e-mailing me at bergmen-at-pacific-dot-net (@.).

An alternative modification is to remove the crossbar completely. In my case, I cut the belly pan short:

1501786587053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is an assembled comparo:

2694189100053667879S600x600Q85.jpg
2302409930053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Then, after the engine swap I left the tupperware off altogether. Eezee peezee that way.

Dan

Marty said:
I installed mine today. I went with a Purolator Pure One PL14612 (short one) and it touches the plastic just a bit.  I was wondering what others are using.  I'm contemplating cutting the belly fairing panel so I can run the taller filters and maybe change the oil without having to remove that fairing.  Anyone have any thoughts on doing this? Do a circular cut or whack out the whole cross piece? The cutout link on the Bergman site isn't working but it doesn't appear to be much to it.  I've been running about 1k mi/mo, mostly commuting, so anything to make it quicker and easier I like.
I just cut out the entire crosspiece on my belly pan.  (Actually, I had already done that so I could change the stock filter without removing the belly pan)  Just two straight cuts with a jigsaw was all it took.  Now I can drain the oil and replace the filter with no prep other than putting the bike on the centerstand.

Hey Dan,
I'm one of those in the fence, and after having changed the oil and filter yesterday, I've almost fallen off (you guess which way).
That was one of my concerns... I don't PLAN to drive off a curb, but you don't always do what you plan.
Have you heard of anyone punching a hole in the filter because it hangs low?
It's also possible that if you were to hit, would you punch a hole, or deform the filter, reducing flow, but not losing your oil? I know if I were to hit, I would stop immediately and check for damage.
I've used K&N filters several times on our cars and trucks, and they are much thicker than the typical filter, but have that square drive which is great for a car/truck, but it makes it hang lower... thoughts?
Thanks, and congrats on an elegant design.
Jorge

I use the short filters on Bergman's list of filters he supplies with the kit. It is barely longer the the oem setup.

Mettler1 said:
  I use the short filters on Bergman's list of filters he supplies with the kit. It is barely longer the the oem setup.

True. If you use the short filters they will barely extend from the from the oil pan. No more, or not much more, than the bolt head for the stock setup. And if you hit that stock bolt on something, you'll do more damage to the motor than if you hit the spin on filter. The long filters extend just a little further, and I could see a legitimate concern there, though I think it's very unlikely. The long filters I used are roughly flush with the bottom of the belly pan and if you had hit something and scraped the bottom of the pan you certainly could crush the bottom of the filter. I switched to the shorter filter mainly because of that.

I also had a pick of the '88 with a long filter from the side, going into my storage place, the floor is a good 8" or so higher than the pavement, no ramp. And there is plenty of clearance.

I don't have a SPOOFAK on the '01 yet, it is on my list of wants. Business needs to pick up first though!  :(

Jorge said:
Hey Dan,
I'm one of those in the fence, and after having changed the oil and filter yesterday, I've almost fallen off (you guess which way).
That was one of my concerns... I don't PLAN to drive off a curb, but you don't always do what you plan.
It's also possible that if you were to hit, would you punch a hole, or deform the filter, reducing flow, but not losing your oil?

Having done this, I am compelled to write a short response.
When moving a couple three years ago, I had to load the turbo into the back of a large, 24ft. Uhaul truck.  The ramp was fairly steep and I was rinning the long filters on the SPOOFAK.  Long filter story short, I hit the ramp with some velocity to make sure I made it all the way up and at the peak where ramp meets truck, the filter struck the latch holes in the bed of the truck floor ripping the filter in half.  Yes, it can happen, but it sure isn't likely.  However, the real meaning of this post is to praise the integrity of the SPOOFAK... the filter was smashed, torn, and pumping oil like an Exxon freighter (into the bed of the truck with all my furniture and stuff), but the SPOOFAK was totally undamaged.  I am not kidding, I hit hard and used the edge of the SPOOFAK like one side of a scissors to shear the filter off and still only took a couple of small marks to the aluminum and no change to the seal or performance of the adapter itself.  A big bag of oil dri, a dozen rolls of blue towels, and a new filter and oil and things were all back to normal.

Now this WAS with long filters... a lowered bike (due to the ZX14 forks), and a steep ramp angle into a truck facing downhill.  Yes, you could do something similar going down a curb, but the good news is that the unit is likely to be unhurt and you are BOUND to stop if you take a knock that hard.  Just my .02 and my thanks to Dan and Murph for such a fine product.  If everything you ever bought were half as good, you'd only buy them once.

Jorge said:
Hey Dan,
It's also possible that if you were to hit, would you punch a hole, or deform the filter, reducing flow, but not losing your oil? I know if I were to hit, I would stop immediately and check for damage.
I've used K&N filters several times on our cars and trucks, and they are much thicker than the typical filter, but have that square drive which is great for a car/truck, but it makes it hang lower... thoughts?
Thanks, and congrats on an elegant design.
Jorge

Here is a write-up I did on filter vulnerability:

If I choose a long filter, is it safe from damage while riding?

To be honest, the filter does present a certain vulnerability to impact damage. The long filter more so than the short one. Careful motorcyclists generally do not allow the underside of their engine or motorcycle to be exposed to any potential (or real) impact if at all possible. Even under the best of circumstances, though, the potential for unavoidable situations is always there (going over a curb, aggressive speed bumps, an unseen large pothole hiding in a shadow, etc.). One fallback preparation for those that could (and sometimes do) incur impacts that might puncture a spin-on filter is to carry a spare filter and the cup wrench provided with the kit to replace a damaged filter. This sort of impact would almost certainly occur at very slow speeds and it would be safe to assume that the rider would immediately dismount to check for damage after any such impact.

One other thing to keep in mind is that loose sharp objects that pose a puncture hazard to the filter stand a good chance of puncturing the rear tire right after that. So if the rider is always on the lookout for anything that may harm the tires, the oil filter will benefit from that level of scrutiny.

Here is a picture of the long filter protruding:

1495547183053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Short filter installation for comparison:

1495554788053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

Bergmen said:
One other thing to keep in mind is that loose sharp objects that pose a puncture hazard to the filter stand a good chance of puncturing the rear tire right after that.
Wow.  So not only do you have oil pumping out onto the ground in front of your tire, you get to have a flat as well.  Sounds like fun!  :-\  :rotflmao:

That said, I just did my first change after the initial install of the SPOOFAK, and I am thrilled to have it installed.  Though a word of advice, if you're going to do the change on a nice day, make sure you have the filter in hand before you drain the bike.  I was certain I knew where my new filter was, until I went to look for it.  Had to take the truck to get a new filter.  :-[

Outback Jon said:
Bergmen said:
One other thing to keep in mind is that loose sharp objects that pose a puncture hazard to the filter stand a good chance of puncturing the rear tire right after that.
Wow.  So not only do you have oil pumping out onto the ground in front of your tire, you get to have a flat as well.  Sounds like fun!  :-\  :rotflmao:

That said, I just did my first change after the initial install of the SPOOFAK, and I am thrilled to have it installed.  Though a word of advice, if you're going to do the change on a nice day, make sure you have the filter in hand before you drain the bike.  I was certain I knew where my new filter was, until I went to look for it.  Had to take the truck to get a new filter.  :-[

I've gotten to the point that I buy filters in bulk (10 at a time) just so I won't be in the same predicament as you were. I do the same for oil, keep a couple of cases handy.

BTW, just to put the potential for filter damage in perspective, I have not heard of a punctured filter leaking oil yet (IIRC, I am getting older so I may have forgotten). I have found a few gnarly dents on my filters that were more than just dinks (technical term) but not close to puncturing. I do a lot of riding on smooth gravel roads, some with sharp cornered gravel that has given my filters a pretty good test of rock impacts. Just to be safe, though, I put a guard in front of my filter made out of extruded aluminum angle stock:

2390625850053667879S600x600Q85.jpg
2864677170053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

I use the short filters because I didn't feel like cutting the belly pan. but the location that I use to work at, I would have to park the bike on the sidewalk. I would  hop off the curb at a moderate speed. scratched the belly pan a little, but never messed the oil filter. just my experience.

I wouldn't have a Connie without one...
Dan, do I need to go buy more Connies to get your count up?  Hey, I'm always lookin' fer an excuse.  :D

Rev Ryder said:
Dan, do I need to go buy more Connies to get your count up?  Hey, I'm always lookin' fer an excuse.  :D

Maybe you just need another 24' U-haul truck with a  steeper ramp!  :-[ :-[ :-[  ;)

Had my spin on since before they were available! ( I was one of those Italian pigs)  :nananana:

mellow yellow said:
I use the short filters because I didn't feel like cutting the belly pan. but the location that I use to work at, I would have to park the bike on the sidewalk. I would  hop off the curb at a moderate speed. scratched the belly pan a little, but never messed the oil filter. just my experience.

One of the adavantages of using one of the short filters, actually. On no other motorcycle is the spin-on oil filter protected like the short filter covered by the belly pan on the Concours. Some spin-ons are right behind the front wheel (mine was on my 1985 Honda Nighthawk S) and are right smack in the middle of the debris being kicked up by the front tire.

Dan

Rev Ryder said:

Thanks, Chuck! In all reality it looks like this kit has basically run it's course. It is a fixed market of dwindling inventory and those that are likely to want one already have it (with a few exceptions as noted here). There are about 1,000 units in place and only a very smal number have been returned, mostly for after-market exhaust interference on the ZRX, no design related performance issues.

It had a good run, worked exactly like it was supposed to and I'm happy about it. I have no problems closing the book on this, I feel a lot better than the engineering team for the Chey Volt, let me tell you.

It's all good.

Dan

2linby said:
Rev Ryder said:

Maybe you just need another 24' U-haul truck with a  steeper ramp!  :-[ :-[ :-[  ;)

Had my spin on since before they were available! ( I was one of those Italian pigs)  :nananana:

It's Test Pilot, Bob. It puts you into a position so people can think that you have what it takes to bail out of a burning test aircraft at night with just enough time to get full inflation of your parachute when you are 50 feet above the ground. You don't have to fill in any details, just look at the person you are talking to at the cocktail party in a way that suggests you know a lot more than you are willing to say, take a sip off your martini and walk away. The whispers by the people you just left could range from "What a cool guy, I'm going to go get his autograph" to "What a crock".

But you'll never know...

Dan

Bergmen said:
mellow yellow said:

Here is a view of the modification drawing:

2347587690053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Last fall I decided to do the cut out  as per the drawing, last week I realized it's only big enough for the spin on filter not the original!!  Messy  :'(

DannyL said:
Last fall I decided to do the cut out  as per the drawing, last week I realized it's only big enough for the spin on filter not the original!!  Messy  :'(

Yes, the cutout is for the SPOOFAK equipped. What you can do is just cut the entire crossbar out and then it will work with the stock filter. No downside to that.

Dan

Bergmen said:
DannyL said:

Yes, the cutout is for the SPOOFAK equipped. What you can do is just cut the entire crossbar out and then it will work with the stock filter. No downside to that.

Dan
It was easier to go to Murph's and order a SPOOFAK!!!

DannyL said:
Bergmen said:
DannyL said:

Dan

Why of course!

Dan

Bergmen said:
DannyL said:
Bergmen said:
DannyL said:

Dan

Why of course!

Dan
Ah, the natural progression of things bearing fruit.

"But Honey, I gotz ta have that SPOOFAK to fit the hole I cut in my bellypan. ANd jez think, all that time I save on oil changin' I can spend wit you."

TOTALLY BRILLIANT!!!  :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Rev Ryder said:
Bergmen said:
DannyL said:
Bergmen said:
DannyL said:

Dan

Why of course!

Dan

"But Honey, I gotz ta have that SPOOFAK to fit the hole I cut in my bellypan. ANd jez think, all that time I save on oil changin' I can spend wit you."

Please don't give me credit for what I hadn't even thought of!!!  ;)

DannyL said:
Rev Ryder said:
Bergmen said:
DannyL said:
Bergmen said:
DannyL said:

Dan

Why of course!

Dan

Please don't give me credit for what I hadn't even thought of!!!  ;)

Don't worry bro... your secret's safe wit us.  wink wink

You DAWG you.  ;D

I finally put one on my Connie a couple of months ago.

I'm seriously considering it for the wife's ZL600.  Problem is, hers doesn't get enough mileage to change the oil more than once a year.

Egodriver71 said:
I finally put one on my Connie a couple of months ago.

I'm seriously considering it for the wife's ZL600.  Problem is, hers doesn't get enough mileage to change the oil more than once a year.

I'm not sure what a ZL600 is, but it is not on the list of qualified Kawasaki models that can use the SPOOFAK kit:

Model Number Name               Series                 Years

EX250                 Ninja               E1, E2; F2-F19; F6F- 1986-Present
EL250                 Eliminator 250        B2                 1988
ZX900                 Ninja               A1-A3                 1984-1986
ZL900                 Eliminator               A1-A2                 1985-1986
ZG1000                  Concours               A1 to A21                 1986-2006
ZL1000                 Eliminator              A1                 1987
ZX1000                 Ninja 1000R            A1-A2                 1986-1987
ZX1000                 Ninja ZX10              B1-B3                 1988-1990
ZX1100 (ZX11) Ninja               C1 to C4                 1990-1993
ZX1100 (ZX11) Ninja               D1 to D9                 1993-2001
ZX1100                 GPZ1100               E1 to E3                 1995-1997
ZX1100                 GPZ1100 ABS          F1                 1996
ZR1100                 ZR1100               A1 to A4                 1992-1995
ZR1100                 ZRX1100               C3 to C4                 1999-2000
ZR1200                 ZRX1200R              A1 to A5                 2001-2005
ZX1200                 ZZR1200               C1 to C4                 2002-2005
ZG1200                 Voyager-XII            A1                 1986
ZG1200                 Voyager-XII            B1 to B17                 1987-2003

Dan

Not to be a smarta$$ but a ZL600 is also an ArcticCat snowmobile but since it's a 2-stroke I don't think SPOOFAK applies.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

mr t said:
Not to be a smarta$$ but a ZL600 is also an ArcticCat snowmobile but since it's a 2-stroke I don't think SPOOFAK applies.

Tom Taylor COG#7173

True, but I'm talking the second genertion Kawasaki Eliminator.  Like to one piced previously, but MUCH nicer!!!

It uses the same oil filter as the ZG1000, so I figured the SPOOFAK should work on it?

Egodriver71 said:
mr t said:

Tom Taylor COG#7173

True, but I'm talking the second genertion Kawasaki Eliminator.  Like to one piced previously, but MUCH nicer!!!

It uses the same oil filter as the ZG1000, so I figured the SPOOFAK should work on it?

The oil delivery and filtering system are similar but different enough that using a SPOOFAK is risky as far as assuring adequate oil supply and pressure to the engine.

Briefly, the oil supply port to the filter cavity is at the bottom of the cavity rather than the top (as in Concours, etc.). The oil "fence" or sheet metal cup is inserted under the paper cartridge filter element rather than on top. This the indication of incompatibility. It may work but I can not assure it will work without compromise to oil flow or pressure.

I studied the model qualification in great detail and compiled the list based on the oil pump/filter/assembly/delivery port being identical to the Concours series. Unfortunately, the ZL600 is not.

Here is a cross section of stock vs. spin-on to show how a bottom delivery port could get blocked by the housing:

2672228000053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

Bergmen said:
The oil delivery and filtering system are similar but different enough that using a SPOOFAK is risky as far as assuring adequate oil supply and pressure to the engine.

Briefly, the oil supply port to the filter cavity is at the bottom of the cavity rather than the top (as in Concours, etc.). The oil "fence" or sheet metal cup is inserted under the paper cartridge filter element rather than on top. This the indication of incompatibility. It may work but I can not assure it will work without compromise to oil flow or pressure.

I studied the model qualification in great detail and compiled the list based on the oil pump/filter/assembly/delivery port being identical to the Concours series. Unfortunately, the ZL600 is not.

Dan

Good information and something I was not even aware of.

At the rate I change oil filters on it, I'll stick with the OEM setup then.

Thanks Dan!!!!

Here is a cross section of stock vs. spin-on to show how a bottom delivery port could get blocked by the housing:

2672228000053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

The ZX600-C I have has been running your kit for the last 20,000 miles or so (currently sitting at 37k). The friend I bought it from installed it well before I bought it, and it seems to be happy with it. The cams all looked good when I did the valves last winter, so hopefully the rest of the motor is getting enough oil too. It does make oil changes easier, especially with the V&H 4-1 header on it.

I just bought a 2002 Concours this fall, and was glad to see Murph still sells them. It was one of the first things I bought. I'm almost tempted to buy another to keep on my shelf "just in case", knowing they'll be unavailable at some point. I'm glad they stuck around another 10 years past this thread! I guess they were either popular enough for another run, or sales were so slow he still has some left, lol.

This is my first sport-touring bike and I'm going through it thoroughly this winter and excited about riding in the spring. It is a little unfortunate that the golden era of the community and aftermarket parts and accessories is over, but I like these old Kawasakis (I have had or borrowed most of this era in my riding career: EX250, EX500, ZX600-C).

Reactions: Bud