• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Spring Wrench Session for South Carolina

Ranger Jim

Sport Tourer
Okay boys and girls, the Spring Wrench Session for all you COG members and wannabes in the proximity of Anderson, SC is on the calendar. Date is April 12, 2014.  Session will be hosted by Lane Harrison, 121 Club Point, Anderson, SC (same location as last year). We will be providing tools, lifts, waste containers, Tech. manuals for the C10 and DVDs for the C14. Coffee, doughnuts, lunch, supervision (though not necessarily adult level  ::)), kibitzing, smart azz remarks and all the camaraderie that COG gatherings are know for. We had a great time last year and should have an even better time this year. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE FROM SC TO ATTEND!  Last year we had a contingent from NC (Sport Rider, Pope, et.al.) and we welcome folks from GA as well (Coffee Brake, you listening?).  You need to bring your parts,and fluids.  The local dealer will be alerted to have some extra "normal" maintenance parts on hand (e.g. brake pads) just in case. Please register so we can have sufficient rations for all. :great: Get your bike ready for the upcoming season!  :motonoises:  :motonoises:

Planning to have a wrench session myself Jim, but I'm going to try to make if down there, even if just to visit and get some maintenance ideas!

When in doubt, check  it out... so I did. The GA date is  March 22nd at his house in Rome.
Thanks Jim.
Ron

Had a great time at the last one,Great food, Good people (all except for that Jim guy)Hey Lane that's April 5th right? :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Roger

Time marches ever onward. Please register if you are even thinking about attending so we can get a head count for the food. Hanging with COG friends, getting your ride ready for the season, eating some good chow; Life doesn't get much better.  :great:  :motonoises:

Though I'm new here, I am hoping to be able to attend one of these.  I am always up to learn something new.

I'm from Columbia SC, and have a newborn in the house.  So if I can come I'll probably have to make a last minute confirmation.

Nice to meet everyone.

~Andrew

Andrew, not to steal you away from the SC group, but if the NC date up in Mooresville works better for you, you are certainly welcome to join us!

Andrew! Welcome!  :)

What Dave says is true but it's also true that you could come to BOTH and meet even more great folks.  :great:  :motonoises:

I can't say for sure I can attend both, as it depends on the kid.  But I did get it cleared to attend the SC one. 

So hopefully I'll meet you guys at the SC event as well.

Is there somewhere I need to register for this, or just posting in this forum is enough?

And I'm registered hope to be able to see you guys there. 

I was wondering though is there anyone around Columbia that could help with doing the valves?  I want to do them one time before the season starts with someone that knows what they are doing hopefully.

I can offer some gas money, beer and some lunch if you'd like.  Also, a dry garage to hopefully work in.  I got all the tools I think, and a copy of the shop manual.  Just like to have someone who knows what they are doing to make sure I don't damage anything the first time.

Each day the event draws closer. Last year's session was a blast with lots of work accomplished, GREAT food and terrific folks. You really don't want to miss it so register already!

My father in law is interested in coming to either the SC or NC session.  I didn't figure you guys would mind, but he isn't on a Concours.  He just got a triumph sprint sport tourer, and is looking for some rides to put some miles on it. 

I wanted to ask first if it's ok if I sign him up to attend either the NC / SC session, whichever he can attend.  If nothing else, he's an accomplished mechanic, and has years, and a couple hundred thousand miles on 2 wheels. 

I'm cross posting this on both of the sessions.  Please let me know what you guys think, and if it's ok I'll sign him up as my guest, or however I need to do it.

He's welcome to come to either one or both of them.  :great:

At the moment my schedule will not let me attend this one in SC  :( , but if things change, who knows!  >:D
I was there last year and even though it was a little wet, we had a GREAT time and the food AWSOME!!!!

Wanted to note, I tried to add my father in law as a guest, and it won't let me put him down.  It just says I can edit my reservation, and / or delete it. 

I deleted it and re-added it and there is nowhere for me to add a guest. 

I'm guessing it's because I'm not a paid member.  But wanted to make sure I didn't forget to let you guys know he would be there with me. 

And it was VERY GOOD!!!! Sorry that I'm most likely going to miss this! But who knows, if the planets all line up. I might suprise ya!!! >:D

"Time and Tides wait for no man." PLEASE register if you even think you'll attend. Nothing worse than running out of food. This event draws ever nearer.

New junior pledge too-broke-to-buy-the-real-deal-yet member here.  I'm going to pick up a 98 zg1000 tomorrow, and assuming it checks out and everything goes smoothly I'll be at the session. I live about ten minutes from the place, which is a nice coincidence.

No dice. Bike was great with owner TLC including the custom cruiser pegs, raised handlebars, in-line fuel filter, etc. but the guy selling "accidentally" brought the wrong title. I want to believe he's for real and I'll pick it up Tuesday, but I highly doubt it.

Had to bow out of this event, regretfully, but other duties call (well, okay, it's a HTG pig roast for a charity I volunteer for, but, still.... ;) )

The days tick down and this event draws closer. Come join us for some wrenching and chow. Register now so we can be sure we have enough food/drink for you.

Okey - Dokey Smokey. It's time to start getting your repair parts, fluids together so you can make it to the South Carolina Wrench Session.  If you don't need to do anything to your ride; that's cool! Come on anyway, hang out, make useful (or snide/rude) comments to/about the guys who are workin' :).  Gonna be a great time if last year is any indication.  You don't have to be from SC to come and you don't have to be riding a Concours ('course we will tease you a lot but it's all good).  Great location, great food, great folks. Don't get no better'n that! :great:

Can't wait to show up.  All my work for this year is done thanks to all the great people at the NC session, but I'll still come out and support everyone.

:great:  It's gonna be great. Everyone, please be sure to register so Lane can plan the menu. We'll have two (2) bike lifts, torque wrenchs, at least one Mity-Vac, allen wrenches, sockets, manuals, shop rags, waste containers, C14 dvds, pretty much everything you might need. Only thing missing will be You (if you don't show up).  Get your bike ready, meet some cool folks, eat some (FREE) food. There's nothing better!

Does anyone have anything that can sync carbs on a C10?  I haven't done mine, and am interested in learning how to do them.  I don't think mine need to be done, but figured I would ask for the knowledge of how to do it if nothing else.

The countdown continues. This will be a great opportunity that you will not want to miss!  Be there or we will be saying rude and unpleasant things about you (okay, just kidding about that, we'll say rude and unpleasant things about you if you're there or not  :) but all in good fun).  :great:

Awesome, If we have time / room, I wouldn't mind learning how to sync carbs.  Did the valves last week with Pope and Sport Rider, I think I just might be able to maintain this bike myself if I can learn this. 

Carbs are still going to SISF this winter though.

I want to see/help on the carb sync too.  I can't have the C10 there, but want to sync the carbs before National because one of the Euro guys are going to use it and I want to have it tuned and ready to go for him.

Sport Rider said:
I want to see/help on the carb sync too.  I can't have the C10 there, but want to sync the carbs before National because one of the Euro guys are going to use it and I want to have it tuned and ready to go for him.

I thought Mama Kaw was supplying the OTP guys with bikes

COGnosticat0r said:
Sport Rider said:

I thought Mama Kaw was supplying the OTP guys with bikes

I think Hans is going to use it.

Bringing this back to the top so as to (hopefully) get some more folks excited about it. Y'all come! :great:

Now that the FL session is over, maybe this one can get some attention.  :nananana:  It's happening this coming Saturday (April 12).  :great:  :motonoises:

2 lifts, specialty tools (torque wrenches, carb sync, mityvac, etc), manuals, rags. FREE FOOD! Y'all come.

At the last Tune up, it was mentioned my automatic cam chain tensioner might be giving out, and causing a bit of tap I'm hearing.

Is there anyone that could diagnose that for me?  And another question, would anyone that is coming have an Ape manual tensioner?  I'm sure at this point I couldn't get it ordered in time, but if someone has one, I'd be glad to buy it off of ya.

Please let me know, and if nothing else, maybe we can pinpoint it, and then I can replace it at home.

I have high hopes that my schedule has finally cleared for this!!

My dad's needed back surgery for some time, and it has finally been scheduled so that he should be OK without me around on Saturday.

I just ordered the pulse cover gasket I needed, and I plan to pull my fairing lowers so I can make better time.

Is there need for my carb synch tool?

Ranger Jim said:
Now that the FL session is over, maybe this one can get some attention. :nananana:  It's happening this coming Saturday (April 12).  :great:  :motonoises:

Yeahbut it was so awesome, we're still talking about it.  :great: ;) :beerchug:

Have a good one up there!

coffee_brake said:
Is there need for my carb synch tool?

Yes, please....unless Jim already plans to have one there.  Andrew and I are going to try a carb sync on his C10.  I won't have my C10 there, but will assist him so that I can break learn how to do it on his bike before I try it on mine.  ;D

Jim, gotta back out of attending.  I was really looking forward to coming, but I 've had a little truck "problem" that I have to deal with . Seems my truck blew a plug out of the cylinder head this week. 

Y'all have fun.
Ron

That's okay, you can still ride your bike over. We weren't planning on doing any truck work anyway.  :rotflmao:  No worries, Ron. good luck with the plug fix. :great:

You realize that you will now be the target of the rude, crude and socially un-acceptable comments.  :) Thanks for taking one for the team. :great:

I do what I can.... :nananana: 

But on the positive side, I'm getting a lot of riding time .... :motonoises:

Ranger Jim said:
You realize that you will now be the target of the rude, crude and socially un-acceptable comments.  :) Thanks for taking one for the team. :great:

You mean like blowing plugs?  :-\

After spending the last three days helping my dad and mom through Pop's back surgery, I JUST NOW stumbled into the door. I spent all last night helping a very drugged-up man not fall, getting up and going to the bathroom every hour. His back is hurting him so much, and Mom is so deaf that she can't hear him cry out, that it was just exhausting the whole time.

I didn't even make it back in time to pick up my parts for my Connie from the dealership.

If I can get some rest, I'll roll out and just watch I guess.  :(

Just got home, thanks for the awesome group, and helping with the brakes... I about threw myself off the bike.  It stopped much quicker.  Also the carbs are super smooth, and feel great.  We had a great time, and I hope to see you guys around soon. 

I'm going to try to make my way up to the lunch in NC, and put one down for SC.

Had a great wrench session. Photos to follow on Monday 'cause I left my camera at Lane's ( :-[ ). Lane, BTW, fixed an extraordinary meal so all you guys that didn't show up really missed it.  We had great weather, did several maintenance jobs, had all the C14 riders show up for the the food (can't say I blame them for that  :great: ), met some new guys (including a forum only member), and had some great conversations and fellowship.

You SC guys definitely know how to do it right!  Thanks for the lunch and the fellowship...was great to see everyone!  :great: :great: :great:

:iagree:

Had a spirited ride there and back. And as others have said, the food was INCREDIBLE! Thanks Lane! It was great to meet you and your wife.

I learned that speed limits in SC are merely suggestions!  :motonoises:

What a nice way to start the '14 riding season!  Jim and Lane did an incredible job of putting this event together.  Wonderful hospitality and excellent food...

After months of cold weather the 85 deg ride home seemed hotter than it was, but the heat fairing I added to the Connie seemed to help.  QT's frozen drink dispensers will be accessed often this summer!

Thanks Lane and Jim!

:TPIWWP:

(just returning the favor Jim)  :nananana: :rotflmao:

I'm sad that I missed this, but Dave & Jeff was there in my absents. Maybe next year.  :great:

Okay, here's the evidence.

There was a total of 10 folks (counting me and Lane). Only worked on C10s, which was good since I can't even spell C14. :-[  We did have a number of C14 riders to drop in and hang with us. Also had a Triumph Sprint rider visit with us. Gave out a few door prizes (Thanks SECOG!) and had a great time.

We're already planning for next year. :)

Attachments

• DSC04475.JPG
    DSC04475.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC04478.JPG
    DSC04478.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSC04483.JPG
    DSC04483.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 101
Hang on a minute.  There were some C14 repairs done too.  I adjusted the brake light switch on my rear brake pedal so my brake light was not on all the time.  it was tedius, grueling and time consuming, but I got it done!  :rotflmao: :D

:-[ How could I have forgotten that after all your whining?  :rotflmao: Of course, if you'd done a pre-ride check of your bike you'd have identified the problem and fixed it BEFORE riding over. (Sorry, my Safety Nazi got loose.  :))

pre ride check.....  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I was tempted to take my helmet off as soon as I crossed the SC border.  ;D  >:D ;)

Not me...especially at the rate we were moving at! When I got passed by that guy in the black GMC pickup with the lift kit, I was like...."Oh hell no!"  :motonoises:

From the pictures it appears you held a successful COG event - 1 person caught working while six people were eating....  :)

Yeah, looked like a government job site.  :-X  Next time I'll designate a photographer. I kept putting my camera down and then not being able to find it.  :-[

I had a great time, and enjoyed the company, food and the ride up.  I hope to see you guys around at more events, and if not, then I'll see you guys at these things next year.