• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Spring Wrenching Session for NC

The Pope

The Spring Wrench Session for COG members and wannabes will be in Mooresville (near Charlotte) N.C. Date is March, 29 2014.  Dave (SprotRider) will be hosting this. There will be some tools provided, but if you know that you need something, please let us know and we can most likely have it available. I'll have my DVDs and Shop Manual for the C14. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE FROM NC TO ATTEND!  Please register so we can have sufficient rations for all. 

Here's the link to the calendar, so please register if you're planning to attend.

http://www.cog-online.org/clubportal/EventDisplayNew.cfm?clubID=1328&EventID=198462&mo=3&tDate=%7Bd%20%272014%2D03%2D15%27%7D

Done!  :great:

Everyone will be receiving this postcard in the mail within the next few weeks!

Attachments

• COG Proof.pdf
    225.1 KB · Views: 108
Dave,
I might be able to attend. Will have to see how the schedule works out after riding to Daytona bike week.
Now that you have one of those fancy "maintenance free" C-14's what are you going to do while we C-10 owners actually turn some wrenches? :beerchug:

He's going to do like I've been doing, sit back with a cold one and tell those wrenching on their bikes how that they should do what they are doing!  :)) :rotflmao: :D

Attachments

• DSCI0001_web.jpg
    DSCI0001_web.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 90
I've got a set on order. Not sure if I'll go ahead and install them when I get them or if I'll wait till the wrenching session.

How many of you have gotten your postcard invite to this wrenching session that SportRider sent out?

I got mine today!  :)

(them Fla. folks keep posting events and our NC stuff keeps getting moved down the list)  :mad:

yeah, mine came too.  I'm hoping this will reach more people who are not usually on the forum.  we'll see how the test goes.  :great:

If it's ok, I might try to attend this one.  I'm a new connie owner and new to the boards.  Trying to get the wife on board. 

This one is actually a lot closer than the SC wrench session (I'm from columbia), but don't mind either way.

I just want to get to meet some cool people and learn about this bike. 

I just changed the oil for the season, and am thinking about doing the valves since the bike is new to me. 

The only problem is I have a newborn, and family constantly in and out.  So I'm hesitant to register as it could be touch and go depending on what is going on.

Went ahead and registered in hopes i can be there. 
Nice to meet you all, hope to see you around.

Yes, it's more than ok and we'll understand if you need to bail.

What year Connie do you have? The reason I ask is that the 2008+ C14s valve adjustment is too time consuming for a wrenching session, but a C10 will be just fine to tackle.

Abo1787 said:
If it's ok, I might try to attend this one.  I'm a new connie owner and new to the boards.  Trying to get the wife on board. 

This one is actually a lot closer than the SC wrench session (I'm from columbia), but don't mind either way.

I just want to get to meet some cool people and learn about this bike. 

I just changed the oil for the season, and am thinking about doing the valves since the bike is new to me. 

The only problem is I have a newborn, and family constantly in and out.  So I'm hesitant to register as it could be touch and go depending on what is going on.

Went ahead and registered in hopes i can be there. 
Nice to meet you all, hope to see you around.

that's not a problem.  We'd love to have you.  I have both a C10 and 14 now, so you can see some of both.  Buzz will be there with his C10 too.  I'm not sure what maintenance will be going on with the 10s, but if nothing else, it'll be a good day to talk motorcycles.  Valve adjustments can be done at a wrench session, so if you'd like to give it a try while some of us are around to help, that's fine.

If you end up having to bail, Pope will eat the extra food!  :))

Thanks for the warm welcome. 

I've got a 99 c10 with 52K miles on it.  It runs like a top, but has I believe a little valve tick.  I only hear it at low speeds, but know it's there. 

I thought you could only do the valves when it's cold out?  I mean I guess I can get there right at 9 AM and let it sit a few hours. 

Also, are there any special tools I need to bring?  I had a set of feeler gauges but it's been about a year since I've seen them.  I think I'm good on fluids for the year.  But would like to lube the cables for throttle, clutch and brakes.  But I'm just making a list.  Honestly this is the best running bike I've ever had.

Is there any specific lube items that are needed for those things?  Also, any specific fluids I need to bring to do the valves?  If we can do the valves at this meet, I will still try to make it to the SC meet just to enjoy the company.  Also, any reason to get some seat time on the connie makes me happy.

If you can comfortably rest your bare hand on top of the engine, you can reasonably adjust the valves.

Clutch is hydraulic so there's no cable lube required.

At the SC session we have the "special" tools (torque wrenches, feeler guages, carb synch, etc) as well as the "normal" stuff (wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc). I'm pretty sure that Pope and Sportrider will have them too.

How's your brake fluid and coolant? Checked your brake pads? Got a farkle you want to install.

These are good things to come to even if you don't have much work to do 'cause you get to meet some great folks (even if I do say so myself :)).

I've got torque wrench.  Like you I have not seen my feeler gauge in a while, but it should be around somewhere.

I really want to get the 14 out on the road to the SC session, but I'd also like to take a stab at the carb sync on my 10, so will probably take that down there as I don't have one myself.  :great:

For the valve adjustment, I suggest you read up on the instructions posted in the tech notes.  it's always good to review that stuff prior to diving in.  it'll take us a bit to get the plastics off and set to pull the valve cover, so it should have time to cool.

I have feeler gauges, engine assembly lube (if you need to pull the cams), ratchet open ended wrenches (these are a God-send!), grease, bearing puller set, and a set of allen socket heads.

if there is anything else anyone needs, let me know. I live about 10 miles from Dave, so won't be a problem.

I'm good on coolant and brake fluid, also the pads look to be in good shape..  Glad to know about the clutch cable. 

No farkles for me, it came with so many I just spent time installing all the ones I wanted from the PO. 

I think I'm going to make it to both sessions.  So hopefully at the first session I can get my valves done, and then just enjoy the ride to the second one. 

The bike runs so well, I don't want to change a thing, just make sure I do the regular maintenance.  With that being said, I would like a pair of Heli fully adjustable bars, but they're probably out of my price range this year.  I'll be saving for end of the year things like new tires, pads, and probably rotors.  Possibly different clutch and brake levers.  I'm not too keen on the silver ones they stick way out, and feel like they are a long reach for my fingers, even adjusted all the way in.

I have shorties on mine.  you can take a look when you come up.  Be careful of replacing the stock ones.  These ones I bought are cheap metal that wears out at the pivots quickly.

Getting super excited to come out.  I got to go out and put 200 miles on the bike today.  36.8 mpg average.  Mostly at 85-90 on the interstate (was going a bit fast, but thought my speedo was off.  I was getting passed like crazy).

When I picked up the bike, there was no oil dripping anywhere, and it was super clean.  Tonight, it looks like there is some oil dripping from the seal behind the gear change lever or something.  Is this normal, is there an external seal or bolt I can replace to fix this?  Or am I looking at having to pull the case?  I'm sure this would be a better question in the general maintenance form, but figured I'd ask here so I know whether I should wait to work on it when I get to the meet, or go ahead and replace a simple seal?

Btw loving my girl.  Gotta think of a name for her.  Maybe I'll have that done by the time I get to the session.

I'm going to post this over in the general c10 chat and hopefully get some more exposure, but hope everyone is having a great time, and maybe got out to enjoy the beautiful day we had today.  :)

I just got done fixing mine with the same problem.  (at least it sounds like it)  It's likely the seals in the water pump shaft.  in order to see it, you have to remove the plastics and get completely under the exhaust and with a flashlight, you can probably see where the water pump housing goes into the block.  If you're not getting any antifreeze leaking, particularly from the weep hole that you can see as you look up in there, your water pump itself should be good.  There's an o-ring on that shaft as it goes into the motor and it's a known repair item.  From what I found, it tends to happen around 50 or 60k, but I'm sure that varies.

in order to repair it, remove the shifter, the plate the shifter attaches to and that will expose the water pump.  Also remove the clutch slave cylinder.  remove the hoses going into the water pump case.  couple other bolts hold a cover on the water pump case.  wiggle the housing firmly while pulling and it should pop out.  there's a seal in the end of it, and also the rubber o-ring over the shaft that slides into the block.  Also, get a new large o-ring for the water pump cover on the case too.  there is also an o-ring on the metal water pipe that bolts into the water pump base (the back one).  replace that too as long as you have it open.

this is all easiest done if you remove the lower plastics and the bracket across the bottom of the motor.

have a bucket on hand to catch the antifreeze.  also you'll likely leak a small amount of oil when you remove the pump.  have a half quart on hand to replace what drains out.

OR it might be the bevel gear gasket. First thing to do is determine EXACTLY where the oil is coming from. No point pulling parts before you know where the problem lies.

thanks for the info, I'm going to get out there and look at it if I can ever get a chance to spend some time with the bike.

We've got room for some more bikes.  :great:

So even if you don't have anything that you want/need to do to your bike, come on out, but please register (see first post) so that we'll know how many to plan for.

I'm looking to repair some old rubber, and I was wondering if anyone knew of a kit or something that I can order that contains the orings I need to do the following:

Fuel Pump (I've read that the one on murphskits can sometimes leak after being repaired.  I would rather go with an OEM and pay a bit more if possible)
Water pump I got a breakdown on how to repair this, and was told to get a large oring when I do this one, but I was wondering if anyone had any part numbers, or a place I could order them?

Also to get prepared to do the valves on the C10, what parts / gaskets do I need to worry about?

Wanted to follow up.  I read through the tech page, and it says you might need a valve cover gasket, and might need a pickup cover gasket?  The valve cover gaskets I'm finding are around 50 bucks.  Can anyone confirm I will or won't need these, or are they only needed if I break the original one I'm guessing?

In the 13 years I've had my C10, I've never had to replace the valve cover gasket or the timing cover gasket. Of course I'm virtually the original owner (bike had 215 miles on it when I got it) and I've been very careful when R&R those parts so your mileage may differ.

Thanks for the info.  I went out and took a look at mine, and found that the valve cover has been taken off and re-sealed with red RTV.  I'm guessing a very thin bead because I didn't find it in the oil when I changed it. 

With that being said, I'll make that my plan for when I get to come up there.  Thanks for the info.

My father in law is interested in coming to either the SC or NC session.  I didn't figure you guys would mind, but he isn't on a Concours.  He just got a triumph sprint sport tourer, and is looking for some rides to put some miles on it. 

I wanted to ask first if it's ok if I sign him up to attend either the NC / SC session, whichever he can attend.  If nothing else, he's an accomplished mechanic, and has years, and a couple hundred thousand miles on 2 wheels. 

I'm cross posting this on both of the sessions.  Please let me know what you guys think, and if it's ok I'll sign him up.

Abo1787 said:
My father in law is interested in coming to either the SC or NC session.  I didn't figure you guys would mind, but he isn't on a Concours.  He just got a triumph sprint sport tourer, and is looking for some rides to put some miles on it. 

I wanted to ask first if it's ok if I sign him up to attend either the NC / SC session, whichever he can attend.  If nothing else, he's an accomplished mechanic, and has years, and a couple hundred thousand miles on 2 wheels. 

I'm cross posting this on both of the sessions.  Please let me know what you guys think, and if it's ok I'll sign him up.

Just add the extra person on the signup.  that way we'll be sure to have plenty of food!  :)

I think he's busy the weekend of the NC one, but is going to try to make the SC one with me.  I'll make sure to sign him up for whichever he finally decides to attend.  Thanks everyone.

Can't wait to meet everyone and see the other bikes. :))

Going to try to attend this wrenchfest too.  I don't think I'll need to do anything, but I haven't seen my bike in person yet.  Picking up a 2012 with 3500 miles on it this coming Monday.  I've ordered throttlemeisters and reflective stickers for the rear so far and I'm going to see if I need bar risers or not.  Looking forward to meeting and riding with some of you.

Alf

Come on over! These wrenching session are a great way to meet other Coggers. So what if you don't have anything that you're wanting to do to your bike. Most of the time I'm just there to add "life to the party" !!!  :))

I think you may have your weekends mixed up.  On the calendar, the NC session is on March 29th.  This saturday is the 15th. 

Unless that was about something else.  Or I'm just really confused which is possible too. 

Yes!!!!  :-[
Abo1787 said:
I think you may have your weekends mixed up.  On the calendar, the NC session is on March 29th.  This saturday is the 15th. 

Unless that was about something else.  Or I'm just really confused which is possible too. 

Duh!!!! I miss marked it on my work calendar!!!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[

The Pope said:
Yes!!!!  :-[
Abo1787 said:

Duh!!!! I miss marked it on my work calendar!!!!!  :-[ :-[ :-[

Go back to sleep!  :rotflmao:

Ranger Jim said:
Pope is probably channeling MF Rabbit. He showed up for our wrench session in SC a week early. :rotflmao:

Oh yeah...I remember that last spring.  If anyone shows up this weekend, I'll be at a green-beer-drinking event!  :D

I probably won't have any "work" required on my Connie.
But will attend to offer my support to those that intend on getting some maintenance performed.
I have torque wrench, hole saw for bafflectomy, hand pump for fork oil change, Clymers manual and can bring additional tools if needed. Please let us know if you are going to need something special.
Look forward to seeing everyone on Saturday.

Buzzard

It's THIS SATURDAY?!?!?!  :-\  :D

I've ridden in the rain before (remember the first wrenching session at your place Dave?) and will most likely ride in the rain several more times.  :great:

I'll be there on Saturday.  I've done most of the things on my list already, but I could use some help setting the sag.  If they arrive in time, perhaps I'll have some AST pegs to install as well. 

Be there or be square.  Don't let a little rain stop you.

Alf

I'm still excited to get to be there.  Not excited for the rain though.  I'll be riding out early in the morning hoping to stay relatively dry.  I have no rain gear. 

That being said, I really need the valves adjusted on the c10, and possibly someone to look at my brakes.  I did my fluid, and they are spongy as all get out.  I think they had dot3 in them, and I replaced it with dot4.  I've re-bled them over and over, and they are still kind of spongy.

That being said, I'm not sure how I'm going to ride in the rain with my phone... it's my gps, and music device.  This is going to be an interesting one if I can make it.  I'll have to leave at like 7 AM when it'll be right at that 44 degree mark they're promising.  BTW anyone else coming up through columbia, or from columbia SC?  I wouldn't mind the company on the ride.

Brakes can be a tricky thing.  I suspect there is still some air in there.  we can look at it though.

One weather forcast is for sun.  I'm going with that one!  :D

Abo1787 said:
  BTW anyone else coming up through columbia, or from columbia SC?  I wouldn't mind the company on the ride.

Abo, I live in SC just south of Charlotte off 77.  I'll be happy to ride with you for the last 35 or so miles.  I wouldn't worry about directions though.  It's pretty much a straight shot up 77 to exit 33 in NC.  If your phone will give you voice prompts for turns, then try putting it in a ziplock bag with the headphones coming out from the bottom and put that in an inside pocket.

Alf
Lake Wylie, SC

I've got a couple of guys on C10 in the Raleigh area that wants to follow along, so I'm not going to get there as early as I normally do.  ;D

The Pope said:
I've got a couple of guys on C10 in the Raleigh area that wants to follow along, so I'm not going to get there as early as I normally do.  ;D

Let yourself in and don't wake me!  :great:

72 and scattered showers...it's improving!

Abo and I will see you around 9:00.  I hope my pegs come in by then, otherwise, I just need help setting the sag.

Alf

Sport Rider said:
The Pope said:

Let yourself in and don't wake me!  :great:

Ok.... I'll start the coffee.  :))

Sport Rider said:
72 and scattered showers...it's improving!
Yep, perfect COG Riders Weather!  :motonoises:  ;D

Dave, will you have the stuff for breakfast (eggs, bacon, etc...) ready for me to cook it when I get there?  :))

eggs, bacon, livermush.  sorry, no grits in the house.  ::)  There's potatos, onions and green peppers to make some fried potatos though.  :great:

Oh....and I have cookies!  :))

The AST Pegs have arrived and I'm meeting Abo tomorrow morning for the last 40 or so miles.  Is it safe to assume you have a set of hex wrenches, sockets extender, breaker bar and hex sockets or should I bring and/or pick some up?

Alf

We had what I'd consider a good wrenching session today. There were three riders (True Motorcycle Riders!!!) and three ....well.... I'll just call them non-true motorcycle riders  :)) Just kidding fellas!  Dave showed us the art of "Blackened Hamburgers" and was a great host as normal. I'll post up more later.

7 of us in all.  Pope has most of the pics.  I'm pretty sure Bill and Alf were sleeping.  ;D

Attachments

• IMG-20140329-00050-2.JPG
    IMG-20140329-00050-2.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 98
Home, had a great time, will do it again.  Can't wait for the SC one, and to get to meet some more awesome people.  Also, I promised I'd join up, and I did one better.  I got an associate membership so my wife is my "associate".  Not sure what that means, but can't wait to see you guys around.

Sport, the sky fell out like I was hoping, and it was raining so hard that you couldn't see, the cars were putting on their blinkers, and moving all the way over.  I just kept on keeping on at 60.  I got a little rain on my elbows, and that was it.  I love this bike. 

One last bit ... I think changing those plugs really helped.  I got home right at 227 miles, and still have gas in the tank.  I'm going to see how close to 300 I can get. 

Thanks everyone.
Andrew

Ranger Jim said:

I couldn't re-size them on my phone!  :nananana:

So now that I have them re-sized .... here they are.
Forgot to get a group shot!!!!!  :-[

Attachments

• IMG_20140329_100054_572.jpg
    IMG_20140329_100054_572.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20140329_100132_058.jpg
    IMG_20140329_100132_058.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20140329_100200_810.jpg
    IMG_20140329_100200_810.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20140329_111137_496.jpg
    IMG_20140329_111137_496.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 85
Abo1787 said:
One last bit ... I think changing those plugs really helped.  I got home right at 227 miles, and still have gas in the tank.  I'm going to see how close to 300 I can get. 

Thanks everyone.
Andrew

have you gone to reserve yet?  I usually hit reserve between 250 and 270 (sometimes more with slow riding).