• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stasch goes down at the National

Stasch

Perhaps someone can learn from my experience, so I will share it.  Besides, confession is good for the soul.

After riding twisties ALL day through West Virginia and Virgina (16 - great road !!!) to Johnson City on Sunday, Randy and I joined a little band of outcasts to roll out Monday a.m.

Our adventure started with delays getting everyone gathered in a timely manner and getting routes to load properly.  I think it was lack of waypoints, because when activated, the routes on 2 different GPS's seemed to 'think' we were already back at the end point (also the start point) and behaved as if the route was already over.

No problem, we'll improvise.  I was leading a group of 5 bikes.  About 30 minutes into the jaunt, we came upon slow moving farm equipment with a lineup of cars behind it. 

A quick glance at the GPS shows a twisty road to the right that will again intersect with the road we were on.  Off we went.

This was a local road, a lane and a half wide with no lines or markings.  It had lots of turns in quick succession which was lots of fun.  Things got wicked up a bit and I realized I was making the bike transition pretty quickly with more than the usual loading, unloading, reloading of the suspension.  Not an issue in and of itself.  It points out that things were moving more briskly than usual. 

I got to the end of the road where it 'T'd back into the same road we left.  However, the road had a very uncharacteristic and unexpected sharp left up an incline to the stop sign. 

Things got interesting fast.  I was carrying speed from the brisk pace at the outside (right) edge of what appeared to be a corner, using a late apex method. 

A lot of thoughts went through my mind in a short period of time.

Thought 1:  "oh crap, the road bends hard here and I am heading straight towards a ditch with a row of mailboxes lining it."  (or something to that effect). 

Thought 2:  "Brake hard" which I did

Thought 3:  "I think I can corner up towards the stop sign".  I believe I could have made the corner but would not have been able to stop in time to avoid carrying into the intersection.  Oncoming traffic was unknown so this was scrapped.

Thought 4:  "Keep braking hard and stop before the mailbox lined ditch."  I continued braking.

Gravel entered the equation and the back end began to slide out to the right.  I backed off the rear and it straightened up, then kicked out again when I tried to reintroduce the rear brake.  I was on the front brake hard the entire time, which also slid a little on gravel at one point, but did not wash out the front wheel.  Perhaps because I had it pointed in the direction I was going.  A little flat track anyone?

None of this was helping to scrub off enough speed.  I was sliding sideways towards the ditch I was now parallel with. 

Thought 5:  "Oh crap, oh crap, oh crap, I REALLY need to slow this thing down as much as possible"  (or something like that). 

I slid sideways into the ditch still hard on the brakes.  The wheels hit the edge of the ditch at about 5 - 10 mph (a guess).  The bike flipped over to the high side, dumping me in the ditch.

I immediately got up (don't remember how) to give a 2 thumbs up to the guys that were following so they would know I'm not hurt, as if one can really know that at first.

Thought 6:  "Shouldn't have sold that 2002 to Matt the day before I left.  Probably going to need it now."

The guys help me pick up the bike while I'm wondering how bad it is.  I figured shattered main fairing, bent fairing stay, cracked / shattered right mid fairing, broken right foot peg and bracket, cracked saddle bag, broken antler and who knows what else.

God smiled on me that day.

- The bike and I entered the ditch between mailboxes. 
- The ditch was shallow and filled with layers of dried up bull rushes / cattail reeds that formed a natural soft mattress.
- I fell into the cushy mattress and wasn't hurt.  The only soreness I felt later was across my chest, probably from picking up the bike.

God smiled on the bike that day too as the soft and cushy mattress was kind.

- Right blinker was pushed in on the outside edge, probably a broken tab.  A little mud is jammed in between it and the outside strip on the main fairing.  I can easily fix this with plastic welding.
- Right fairing strip outside the turn signal was intact.  What?  This ALWAYS seems to break.
- Right mid fairing - no rash as bike never slid, but a few scuffs and scratches an inch or two long.  Some of it will rub out.
- Right wind wing is not broken and its bracket did not destroy the mid fairing other than a small 1.5" crack that will easily plastic weld.
- Right foot peg and bracket is fine.  How is this possible ?
- Right bag is intact with some minor scuffs.  I've seen worse on bikes that have only tipped over.
- Right antler is broken.

I took Tuesday off from riding to think and get my head right.  Someone mentioned I had done a good job to manage the bike, stay with it and minimize what could've ended with injury and significant damage to the bike.

Maybe, maybe not.  I was upset with myself for getting myself to the point where there was an self induced incident requiring 'management'.

In retrospect, I was going too fast, not listening to the little voices in my head that noticed the actions of the bike indicating an increased pace. 

I out rode past what I could actually see, a bad mix on the street.

Did I allow the herky jerky start of the ride to affect my decisions and actions?

What really bothered me is that I led a group into this situation.  We had a short talk before we left where I reminded everyone to ride their own ride.  And yet I didn't, potentially drawing others into the same situation.  As it was, the other 4 riders had an 'interesting' time scrambling to a stop without colliding with anyone else.  Thankfully no one else went down.

This is the first time I've been down on a street bike and it was and is a sobering event to ponder.  Needless to say I dialed down my pace from then on, yet still had just as much fun and thrills.

Now I feel better, and perhaps someone can learn something from my situation.

Its always best to learn from the mistakes of others as there isn't enough time to make them all yourself!

I'm learning... what I learned from this is "land on a mattress and it'll all work out"  :-\

Was that the lesson I was s'posed to take away  ???

I know when we spoke after the incident, you looked about the same as you did before the incident, so no matter what you done good.  ;) Steve

I'm always amazed at how aggressively people will ride on roads they have not been on before/recently. I'm more cautious and could never keep up with a group like that. I suppose that makes me a pussy and someone that should be riding a Wing, not a bike like the Concours. But I turned 52 today and injuries take a lot longer to heal.

You were lucky Stasch. Very lucky.

I rode some of the same roads. They were tight!! Don't like to ride in a group anymore. Egos can wreck your bike and your day!! I was enjoying the road and with my wife with me on the bike kept me on high alert. Sometimes going a little slower reduces the pucker factor and you see more of the great scenery.  :)

Stasch said:
- Right fairing strip outside the turn signal was intact.  What?  This ALWAYS seems to break.
The story was believable until you added this.  Sorry, I don't buy it.  That part breaks when you look at it too hard.  :nananana:

Glad you were OK. 

Glad you are ok Stasch. Thanks for the write up. I bet a majority of riders may have went for the stop mid intersection or stop and run the intersection as a last resort with mixed outcomes. Kudos to you for quick thinking and taking the path of least possible severe impact.

Wow. If this is the route that was supposed to lead to Roan Mtn that kept stopping in the middle of nowhere with the GPS announcing we "arriving at our destination", another guy and I had almost the same experience. Not to hijack your thread, but I just want to see if we were at the same place.

We were following a "local" (not state highway) road from south (from toward Burnsville?) on the downloaded  route to Roan Mtn and trying to find Roan Mt from the south. I was leading and suddenly the road turned into a T-intersection. I was riding  up the "stem of the T" into the top of the "T" without knowing it was a T.

The GPS just showed it as a curve to the left. That left unexpectedly became a T intersection on a hard, blind curve on a hill with NO signage. I wound up in the intersection just short of t he opposite ditch.

We (I) was lucky. I'm glad you didn't get hurt. So sorry about your bike, but thanks for posting this . Lesson learned: don't believe the GPS and override on a strange road.

Sounds like you did a great job. Think it over and go ride before it spooks you. Hang in there.

Glad you're ok.  Gives people something to think about.  Passing this along can teach some of us something that are less experienced.  There's a lot of truth to riding your own ride as I have a broken back (compression fractures X 2) from not doing just that on a bike.  Thanks for sharing.

From ron203, Quote: "Lesson learned: don't believe the GPS and override on a strange road."
Or maybe, not override on ANY road.
Glad you and the bike as well as the rest of the group are ok!
I'm more of a PaulP type rider at this point in my life.

Glad to hear you are unhurt Stasch.  Bikes can be replaced. 

I guess the lesson is that a momentary lapse in judgement can put you in the ditch. 

I was last in line, events happen as described.

He is really glad I was not first on the seen.

That will keep him thinking.

Stay safe till we ride again.

I suppose that makes me a pussy and someone that should be riding a Wing, not a bike like the Concours. But I turned 52 today and injuries take a lot longer to heal.

No it doesn't make you a wimp.  It makes you smart.  I had a lapse that day.  I'm about to be 55 and don't need injuries either.

It wasn't that I was on a Concours.  It was that I was a lugnut in the operation of that Concours that resulted in what happened.

We were following a "local" (not state highway) road from south (from toward Burnsville?) on the downloaded  route to Roan Mtn and trying to find Roan Mt from the south. I was leading and suddenly the road turned into a T-intersection. I was riding  up the "stem of the T" into the top of the "T" without knowing it was a T.

The GPS just showed it as a curve to the left. That left unexpectedly became a T intersection on a hard, blind curve on a hill with NO signage. I wound up in the intersection just short of t he opposite ditch.

Not sure where it was.  The road sign just above my prostrate bike said "Jack Fletcher Cemetary Road".  I've searched for it but haven't found it yet to nail it down.

I'd heard someone went down and was OK, but was not aware until now it was you. WOW!
Glad you're OK.  Sounds like you were very fortunate. Again glad you're OK.

I have had one "oh shit" moment at least once a season, and every time it was quickly followed by the same thought - "why the hell was I pushing it so hard!"

Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll file it away as yet another reason to dial it back a little - the temporary thrill isn't worth the cost/pain when the inevitable mistake happens.

I agree with those here who enjoy riding 2-up because the concern for the passenger makes them enjoy the moment for what it is and not push so hard - I feel exactly the same.

Glad you and your Connie made it through without permanent damage.

Very glad to hear you and your bike made it out OK. I would have felt really bad saying that you couldn't buy the 02 back. :)

Matt

You know Stasch, for me,the whole riding experience - from the second one gets on a bike, is about risk management balanced with the "rush.".  And we all have different levels of risk tolerance and riding skills.  I think everyone I know has ridden to the edge of their skills / conditions / road conditions more than one time.  The rush is part of my enjoyment with riding. 

I am happy you are healthy.  But, it happens.  I think we all try to manage it appropriately - but are all human and make mistakes.  Usually, like I think in your case, it isn't even an issue of riding ability etc... as much as the stacking of contributing factors.

BTW - I am fully aware that my "pushing it" could be someone elses laid back ride.  I think all of us draw that line at different places.

Usually, like I think in your case, it isn't even an issue of riding ability etc... as much as the stacking of contributing factors.

Exactly how I feel.  A series of normally inconsequential factors added up to an end result greater (or in this case worse) than the sum of the parts.

There's definitely an edge I looked over that I will now stay a healthy yet fun distance removed from.

Stasch said:
Usually, like I think in your case, it isn't even an issue of riding ability etc... as much as the stacking of contributing factors.

Exactly how I feel.  A series of normally inconsequential factors added up to an end result greater (or in this case worse) than the sum of the parts.

There's definitely an edge I looked over that I will now stay a healthy yet fun distance removed from.

Thanks for the good post.  Good to hear you are OK.

Risk is a part of everyday life.  Like some other recreational activities, riding a motorcycle is inherently risky. All we can do is manage and minimize risk. MSF teaches that most often there is no single, primary cause of a crash. As you note, it is an accumulation of factors that interact that lead up to a crash.  Managing risk begins with taking a personal assessment of skills vs typical level of risk . One of the great parts of the MSF ARC course is learning about risk offset. In fact, this has been brought into the new beginner rider curriculum that has begun to roll out.

Thanks very much for this write-up and post crash analysis.

Along with some others, I vey much appreciate it.  Everything you thought about was taught in the courses I've taken and your experience is an excellent reminder.

:great:

Dang Stan, glad to hear this ended about as well as it could have, short of not leaving the road :-\  Little learning experiences like this tend to be very useful.......I've had them as well.  Get the bike fixed and get back at it.  It was great to see you in JC!