• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stay in homes for motorcycle travel

The cost benefit of MTN was amazing. Home cookin even if simple was grand. Parking at a biker friendly house, possibly even in the garage with their bikes, is most excellent vs motels or whatever.

BUT! As much as I like a good convo i was worn out with introductons and conversation before even getting my boots off. Then the tour of the home and an explanation of where towels or lights are before getting to shower, eat and talk some more. I used it the year i paid for it but no more for me.

Rest is paramount when riding back to back long distances day after day. If you're not jamming 600+ mile days the company might be desirable.

Somehing to chew on ....

:beerchug:

if you had any friends here in COG, you could arrange this type of thing through them.  some of us don't have that many friends.  :nananana:

Fais....did you find it worth it when viewing it as an overall solution to travel accomodations?

I am not sure if I have made more friends or enemies here.  I do plan on using the COG directory some, camping some, motels some and this would be just another option. 

The more I check out MTN the more I worry it is a great concept but their growth rate is not what I would have hoped to be able to find a room close to where I need it.  Seems now may be only couple hundred members or less.  Still if you are not grinding out miles and want to stay and enjoy time with other bike riders this sounds great.

My guess from looking at the other ones so far that they are even less utilized.  At least in this country.  But I wanted to see if there are any actual users or other companies.

Yeah, if I'm doing 500 to 800 mile days the last thing I'd want is to socialize. Give me a shower, an adult beverage and a soft bed. That's all I need. I wouldn't even seek out a three star or above hotel either. I'd want nothing more than a cinder block - mom & pop flop house.

Now if I'm traveling with the counter-weight, we may have to stop at a Motel 6! Or some place that has that fru-fru coffee!  :rotflmao:

Sport Rider said:
if you had any friends here in COG, you could arrange this type of thing through them.  some of us don't have that many friends.  :nananana:

Fais....did you find it worth it when viewing it as an overall solution to travel accomodations?

Everyone I met was nice as could be and people I would want to hang with if I weren't exhausted and trying to get an early start. Sometimes i didn't have the option between jobs. I had 5 days to get from Sturgis to Bristol on a KLR after cooking for 210 hours in 10 days. I was a zombie. Had MTN but stayed in motels anyway.

Bob - we butt heads on this forum all the time but have always been great at a table together. That's the life of the internet etc .... we all are in this thing together. I can't wish someone happy birthday around here without upsetting someone  :-[ Trust in that - we love seeing each other on our bikes.

Did you know? If you sign up for MTN you must also agree to host. Not sure if that's clear at first.

:beerchug:

I think with most of those kind of things you have to plan in advance. I never liked that much structure on this kind of trip. I would hate to have to ride through a snow storm to get where I had planned. And you may get some good intell from a local that blows up your plan. Or you wind up having to skip that good intell to get where you planned.

I thought about one of these plans for boon dock camping with the Roadtrek but have been just fine without it.

Although it is geared toward RV's Allstays for RV and camping is a most excellent tool for spotting a campground and other traveller services. A bit pricey at $10, but worth it to me. And I own a KLR so you know I'm cheap.

There is a lot of government land out west that has free disperersd camping. A lot. Questions? Stop at a UUSFS office for good, free maps and good info.

There is also a lot of Crown land in Canada thet has free camping for Canadians and a $10 charge for non Canucks. I've never paid and never had an issue. Low profile and all that.