• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stebel Nautilus Compact Air Horn

I had one on the VL800 for 21k miles, one on the V-Strom for 46K miles and the C14 for 3k miles. All have worked well with no issues.

I have one. It has worked fine for several years now. They draw a lot of juice. Run it through a relay.  there are quiet a few different mounting positions different people have done. I have mine mounted where the original front brake line splitter was, using a custom made bracket. Loud.

Doing it over again I would go with the HF80 Dual Horn Package and mount them in the stock location. Run then through a relay and all that just the same.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=356

Imgp0566.jpg

Going on the third season for mine and still working fine.

I also mounted mine where the front brake line splitter was. (before I got the s/s brake lines from Murph)

Slybones said:
Doing it over again I would go with the HF80 Dual Horn Package and mount them in the stock location. Run then through a relay and all that just the same.

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=356

Why is that? and would you need to remove the fairing to mount them?

Cheers
Ron

As for mounting, I have asked the same and the response was yes you need to pull the upper fairing to mount the HF80 horns. This is the down side.

I believe Colin has a set of HF80's on one of this scoots. Before making a final decision I might head by some time on the way home from work ( when its nice out ) and we can compare the HF80 dual setup to the Compact Nautilus side by side. This would be a nice experiment.

I like the Nautilus in that is fairly small, and loud. I forget how waterproof it is advertised, but is lasting for me riding in Pacific Northwet winters and daily commute. Its somewhat tucked under the fairing so its not right in the jet stream, but it still probably gets its share of water.

I dont care for my mounting location that much. Where it is using the holes for the removed front brake splitter, is in the way of the headlight. I have to remove it to remove/change the headlight. Not that I do it that often, but adds to the task that I would not want to have to do on the side of the road at night if I didnt have to.  Also been thinking before I try an HID system I just want to redo this and free up the space in this area. Dont know that is required. It might all fit. I just think I would like to see it cleaned up.

In this location you cannot get it too low or it interferes with turning the bars. needs to fit just so.  -- I have seen a few other mounting locations, but none really impress me that much. So I ahve not bothered moving it. All in all I really like the idea of having the horns in the stock location where its just plain out of the way of everything, and facing forward. My opinion of course. The HF80 fits this nicely and works far better than stock.

So if you can find a mounting location that makes you happy, that you can live with then go for it.  Its a good horn. I only think of the HF80 setup because it fits in the stock location. But I didnt have to remove the fairing to install the Nautilus either. So who knows. Just thinking out loud I guess....

I have one on my Yamaha cruiser.  I absolutely love it for the sound, and I also mounted it on a relay due to it's high amp draw.  However, on the Yami, it is mounted to the frame right behind the clutch cover really close to the gound...  some of the venture guys I ride with have experenced a failure when the stebel gets soaked.....  Depending on the location on the connie, that won't be as much of a problem.  I have way too much stuff mounted behind my headlamp (a bunch of relays for headlamps, aux lamps, etc..) now, I doubt I could fit he air horn in this location like slybones did.....

For ease of installation, I replaced my OEMs on the connie with the HF-80s from murph's too... I had the fairing off, and was replacing the instrument lights with LEDs and wiring in my Hella FF's, and the OEMs were just all exposed....  strike while the iron is hot I guess...  I truly belive that loud horns will save more lives than loud pipes....

Slybones said:
I don't care for my mounting location that much. Where it is using the holes for the removed front brake splitter, is in the way of the headlight. I have to remove it to remove/change the headlight. Not that I do it that often, but adds to the task that I would not want to have to do on the side of the road at night if I didn't have to.  Also been thinking before I try an HID system I just want to redo this and free up the space in this area. Don't know that is required. It might all fit. I just think I would like to see it cleaned up.

In your opinion would your mounting options be increase if you separated the horn from the compressor?  I see some people have done that.  But I don't know if that is a viable option on a connie.

Cheers
Ron

In your opinion would your mounting options be increase if you separated the horn from the compressor?  I see some people have done that.  But I don't know if that is a viable option on a connie.

Cheers
Ron
[/quote]

I looked at this topic quite a bit on the old forum and it appeared to me that the concensus was that separating the horn and compressor made the install much easier. There is a good thred here as well:

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,64197.0.html