• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Steering Damper

KaTieM505

Training Wheels
I have at BMW K1200s which has a factory installed steering damper. The thing handles like it is on rails. My 2010 Concours does not give me the same confidence when riding it. If i let off of the throttle I take my hands off of the bars even at 50 mph they will shimmy back and forth. At very high speeds (150+) the Beemer is rock steady. I wouldn't dare approach those speeds with my Concours.

Has anyone installed a damper on the Kawi and if so, what was your experience?

Thank you
KaTieM300

Have you ever heard the old joke, "Hey Doc, my arm hurts with I do this (raises hand in the air). Doc says, Well, don't do that."
Same thing with taking your hands off the bars. I've had bikes that did that, and some that don't. It's probably that the front tire is slightly out of balance, but it's nothing to worry about, IMO. As for handling, you won't find many complainers on this board. How's your tires? Are they the original Bridgestones?

My 2012 is steady just like my 2008 ZX14 was.

Look Ma, No Hands. No problem. Actually only problem is the rider, who can't hold still, so keeps changing the balance and moving the bike around.

But the bars are rock steady, in all situations.

With your C14 being a 2010, I'm guessing that it is not brand new anymore. My thoughts are one of two things. (1) the tire, either just out of balance, or going bad (maybe not bad, but on it's way out). Or (2), the other thought is that your steering stem bearing may need tightening. (or both 1 & 2) 
    Although I normally do not make a habit of riding without my hands on the bars, I do now and then to stretch or something. All of my last four sport tours seem pretty stable without my hands on the bars. The C14 was no exception. Of course this is just my two cents.

Running below 42 psi in a 'good' front tire can develop an odd wear pattern that can cause a shimmy as described.

yeah, your shimmying isn't right and adding a steering damper is only masking the real problem.  a steering damper should not be needed.  have you changed the rake of the bike?  lowering the front end bars, etc?  other than that, as noted, tire balance and steering stem.  also be sure that the axle on the front end was torqued properly.  My money is on the steering stem tightness.  How many miles do you have and any recent maintenance or changes?

JR said:
Tim said:

Not necessarily a troll, and you shouldn't make that assumption right off. You know what they say about assumptions?

That's right JR you're no Troll, more like a Golem maybe.  I'm more like a Troll a BIG Troll.  :))

My bike tracks straight when I take my hands off the controls but like JR I don't usually sit still.

Gigantor said:
JR said:
Tim said:

Not necessarily a troll, and you shouldn't make that assumption right off. You know what they say about assumptions?

That's right JR you're no Troll, more like a Golem maybe.  I'm more like a Troll a BIG Troll.  :))

My bike tracks straight when I take my hands off the controls but like JR I don't usually sit still.

I see your point. I think "Tim" did too, he deleted his one word ("TROLL") post.

Thanks for all of the input. I have about 11,000 miles on the bike. tire pressure is okay and tires are in good shape, Pirelli Angel on the front and a Metzler on the rear.

I plan on checking the steering bearing when I get a chance. That may be where the issue is coming from.
Randy