• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Still shopping

rogerpbird8556

Hello to all!

I am looking at moving from my Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe (big, heavy cruiser) to a sport tourer and have narrowed it, like most, to the Concours 14 and FJR1300.

There is a 2011 FJR1300 (38,000km) locally available at my Yamaha dealer. There is a 2016 C14 (44,000km) at a Kawi dealer.

Currently I'm on a road trip in New Hampshire with a bunch of friends and a buddy let me ride his 2016 FJR1300 for a couple of hours the other day. Amazingly smooth and powerful bike. Easy to ride. I will be calling the Kawi dealer when I get home to book a demo of the C14.

Honestly I am really hoping that the C14 feels better.

Any thoughts or tips?

Thanks in advance.
Roger

There is a difference between a 2016 fjr and 2011. Do your research on what they are. I dont think the older fjr had the 2nd gear recall . The newer years did starting around 2016. The older ones did not have mode function for the suspension either.

If u thought the fjr was powerful. Hold on TIGHTER when u try the c14!! Lol

For me it was the look of the bodywork. The fact the c14 does not have cruise control didnt play matter. And after getting mine I discovered I could add a true cruise control to it. Rostra or McCruise. Not just a throttle look.

Coming from a c10 concours to a c14 was easy and I was already a COG member. Having all the knowledge available from the club really helps when u have a question. The motto 'join for the bike, stay for the people' holds alot of weight. This is really a great club and there alot of wonderful people in it!

There is a difference between a 2016 fjr and 2011. Do your research on what they are. I dont think the older fjr had the 2nd gear recall . The newer years did starting around 2016. The older ones did not have mode function for the suspension either.

If u thought the fjr was powerful. Hold on TIGHTER when u try the c14!! Lol

For me it was the look of the bodywork. The fact the c14 does not have cruise control didnt play matter. And after getting mine I discovered I could add a true cruise control to it. Rostra or McCruise. Not just a throttle look.

Coming from a c10 concours to a c14 was easy and I was already a COG member. Having all the knowledge available from the club really helps when u have a question. The motto 'join for the bike, stay for the people' holds alot of weight. This is really a great club and there alot of wonderful people in it!
Konehead34,

They added the 6th gear in 2016. The bike I rode had the fix done at the dealer already. So, yes the 2011 would just have the 5 speed.

I love the look of the C14 better than the FJR so I am holding high hopes the test ride moves me to that. It is more expensive than the FJR but I would be fine with that. The C14 I am looking at is black with the green stripe and includes the Kawi top box.

Thanks

You should buy this FJR ;)

I've owned both. Both great bikes. They are very similar, yet different in a lot of ways. Preferences always vary. I personally liked the FJR a little better. Obviously, a lot of folks on this forum might have a different opinion. :)

Since "You" brought it up, I guess I'll have to tell the truth.
So, I'll admit that RED does not assure another 10 HP.
(It's actually "Eleven").

Ride safe, Ted ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for all your comments. I have jumped on a 3rd gen FJR1300 that I couldn't pass up.

Regards,
Roger
Excellent, I have a 2014 that I bought new in November of 2013 (almost 10 years ago). 3rd Gen is far more refined than previous generations with throttle-by-wire smoothing out the off-idle lurch + integrated electronic cruise control.

Dan