• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stock tires and rain, 2011 C14

acr_scout

Bicycle
Hello all,

With all the rain lately here in Northern VA the poor girl has been left in the garage because I have 1) never ridden in the rain and 2) are worried about how well the stock tires would do on less than dry surfaces.

Can anyone enlighten me about riding in the rain and how well the stock tires perform. Unfortunately I cannot afford any new tires right now so that is not an option.

Thanks,
Fred

Rain is essentially no different that dry as smooth throttle and brake responses reward you with predictable responses from the c14 beast.  I frequent the rain as it's always been cooler where I lived (Dallas, Houston, Florida) and honestly less people are on the road and generally more cautious in their driving habits.

As for the stock tires, they aren't that great in the dry and less so in the rain, that is to say their limits seem exceeded without reason and are unpredictable a definite no no in the rain.  BUT if you are smooth on throttle and brake, you should be fine.

I drove 14 hours from the dragon back to FL with 7 in the rain and it was enlightening how much more capable a bike is in the rain than I was willing to accept before the ride.  I've done track days with sessions in the rain and again was amazed how similar riding in the wet and dry can be with smooth driver inputs.

Noah

ndmiller said:
Rain is essentially no different that dry as smooth throttle and brake responses reward you with predictable responses from the c14 beast.  I frequent the rain as it's always been cooler where I lived (Dallas, Houston, Florida) and honestly less people are on the road and generally more cautious in their driving habits.

As for the stock tires, they aren't that great in the dry and less so in the rain, that is to say their limits seem exceeded without reason and are unpredictable a definite no no in the rain.  BUT if you are smooth on throttle and brake, you should be fine.

I drove 14 hours from the dragon back to FL with 7 in the rain and it was enlightening how much more capable a bike is in the rain than I was willing to accept before the ride.  I've done track days with sessions in the rain and again was amazed how similar riding in the wet and dry can be with smooth driver inputs.

Noah
Hmm, I am not sure from this post to be scared or brave. ;-)

I need to just get out there on the wet, maybe not raining, street and learn.

I personally do not like to ride in the rain if at all possible. Rain takes all the enjoyment out of riding for me. It also tends to make the motorcycle filthy. (Yes I do like my bike clean) The stock tires (021's) are not very good tires. This can make the riding in the rain experience less appealing yet. Yes, I didn't like them very much in the wet either. You always need to take care in conditions with less grip like rain.
The C14 with the secondary "flies" still in is better for riding in the rain. A 2010 or 11, C14 with traction control is a better yet, choice for the rain. But especially  when in the rain without traction control, one needs to be very smooth on the throttle. Slower inputs rolling on and off the throttle. Much less throttle in turns. Much longer and easier braking lengths (though ABS helps with this). Stay away from the painted surfaces like road lines. (they are very slick when wet) And try not to use aggressive lean angles if possible.
The fact is that water takes away grip on your tires. Simple physics can dictate that less grip holding the bike in a certain place, will allow less force to move the bike into a bad position. In other words, easy on the throttle, brakes and lean angles. Otherwise the bike may move in a direction that you didn't want. This is especially true if your not use to riding in the rain. Use a lot of caution until you get a feel for what the bike is wanting to do in the rain. Then with experience in the rain, you can adjust your comfort levels to the conditions your facing at the time.

Cap'n Bob said:
Use a lot of caution until you get a feel for what the bike is wanting to do in the rain. Then with experience in the rain, you can adjust your comfort levels to the conditions your facing at the time.

Bob is right on all counts, especially the caution part and how he doesn't like to ride in the rain.  If you do it's doable, if you don't is doesn't matter because you will avoid rain anyway whenever possible.  And if you like a clean bike, just forget riding in the rain.  Mine is not dirty, but certainly not clean, just wiped down with Honda polish infrequently.

I may be abi-normal that I like the rain, but living in Florida and Houston if I didn't ride in the rain I would almost never ride so been a rain-rider for well over a decade.  At first being unprepared for the rain, It was a miserable experience, stopping to put on gear, sweating because it was hot and muggy, etc...  As my first year in Florida came to a close I did a lot of research and bought a Stich, so opening and closing zippers made me 90% waterproof when I wanted to be (sometimes wet is cooler in the summer).  I think my only point worth noting is the issue with riding in the rain is more a rider issue than a tire issue.

Noah

Fred,

On the 2011, it would be pretty hard to get into trouble unless you lean it over while crossing paint stripes or on oily surfaces, like the center hump of a lane at busy intersections.  The traction control and ABS would make wet riding on slicks non-eventful.  Just don't go crazy in the corners.

The stock tires are certainly not the best, but are more than adequate for riding around in the wet, given how much your bike will 'protect' you from doing something bad.

As for what the bike will look like after a ride in the wet?  The spray control on the C14 is absolutely horrible, as in non-existent.  The rear tire will throw road spray everywhere, since there is nothing even close to a fender to contain it.  I added a hugger to mine, but before that, if I road through a long wet spot in the road on a clear sunny day, the inside face of my boots and pant legs would get wet.  Also, if you have a trunk, it will throw spray on the back side of it.  I had to disassemble my trunk lock after one season because it was full of crap.  After that, I installed a mud flap.

There is also a statement in the owners manual about changing the air filter after riding in the rain.  I think you can disregard it.  That, and the lack of spray control, made me wonder if Kawasaki even considered what "Touring" means to someone who rides a motorcycle in 'weather'.

Unfortunately, touring means riding in the rain. Even here in TX where we've gone months without rain, at some point this Fall, I know I will get caught out in a downpour.

Since purchasing my Concours earlier this year, I've only been caught in the rain once, and I found the ABS and K-TRAC added a level of comfort. I also found the windshield doing a good job of keeping the spray up/over my head - so far, so good.

One thing I've learned, keep a rain suit handy, slow down, leave a little more room between cars in traffic, and don't panic. Rain is just a part of riding, so make the best of it.

Dalroo

If I had the choice, I'd prefer not to ride in the rain, mostly for comfort reasons and where I plan on ending up. But if I'm riding at it rains so be it...its a part of life. I just pack wet weather gear if there is a chance of rain.

Live life.....don't spend it on the Sofa.

C1xRider said:
Fred,

On the 2011, it would be pretty hard to get into trouble unless you lean it over while crossing paint stripes or on oily surfaces, like the center hump of a lane at busy intersections.  The traction control and ABS would make wet riding on slicks non-eventful.  Just don't go crazy in the corners.

The stock tires are certainly not the best, but are more than adequate for riding around in the wet, given how much your bike will 'protect' you from doing something bad.

As for what the bike will look like after a ride in the wet?  The spray control on the C14 is absolutely horrible, as in non-existent.  The rear tire will throw road spray everywhere, since there is nothing even close to a fender to contain it.  I added a hugger to mine, but before that, if I road through a long wet spot in the road on a clear sunny day, the inside face of my boots and pant legs would get wet.  Also, if you have a trunk, it will throw spray on the back side of it.  I had to disassemble my trunk lock after one season because it was full of crap.  After that, I installed a mud flap.

There is also a statement in the owners manual about changing the air filter after riding in the rain.  I think you can disregard it.  That, and the lack of spray control, made me wonder if Kawasaki even considered what "Touring" means to someone who rides a motorcycle in 'weather'.

Wow. I would have never thought the bike itself would cause problems, speaking of the spray issues. I also don't have wet riding gear so it is likely to suck more.

Thanks for the input.

As said above riding in the rain is all about attitude. I don't mind it at all. Make sure your traction control and ABS are turned on and you will be fine. Keith Code did a study a while back with a bike on a skid pad comparing wet and dry conditions at it was amazing how little traction was lost. Good dry riding skills transfer to good wet riding skills.

Gear can be as simple as a Frog Togs motorcycle jacket and pants. I assume you are already wearing a full face helmet.

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I wear a full-face helmet. It is an HJC Flipup kind. I am considering other models. This helmet is not too comfortable in the winter. I hope to find something that will not allow the cold to flow backward up the back of my head.

Fred

in addition to the above i would say stay in front and away from the road spray from cars.

IMO wet gear is a must, i run tourmaster/first gear combo. if you get the wrong gloves/jacket/rain jacket you may run into loss of mobility of your wrist.

:motonoises:

ACR_SCOUT said:
Hello all,

With all the rain lately here in Northern VA the poor girl has been left in the garage because I have 1) never ridden in the rain and 2) are worried about how well the stock tires would do on less than dry surfaces.

Can anyone enlighten me about riding in the rain and how well the stock tires perform. Unfortunately I cannot afford any new tires right now so that is not an option.

Thanks,
Fred

Let me get this straight -- you've never ridden ANY motorcycle in the rain?  And you decided to buy one of the most powerful sport-touring motorcycles made?  Did you come from the fair-weather, cruiser-crowd?

Bud, borrow a small street bike, ride in the rain -- mucho or ride a dirt bike a lot before you venture out into the rain.  You are an accident waiting for a place to happen.........

I have some experience in the rain in all conditions - from light drizzles to full blown thunderstorms with heavy downpours and high winds - mostly aboard a 2006 ZX14, but I've been caught multiple times in the rain on sportbikes, and also the cruiser I recently traded - believe it or not, rain on the cruiser was a lot worse because the windscreen on it inhibits your vision when it gets wet.

1) In a straight line the bike has no problems at all - even with heavily worn tires (mine were down to the wear bars). The bike would maintain 70 with no indication of instability on the interstate - our narrower, rounded tires are less prone to hydroplaning than a car's, unless you blast through a several inch deep puddle (which is a distinct possibility on regular surface streets).
    a) Speaking of puddles - cars passing through them will spray you with water - BADLY - enough to complete obscure your vision in some cases. Beware of puddles when you are next to cars.

2) The most dangerous time is when it first starts to rain if it hasn't rained for a while - or so I've been told. It is said the oils and other crud gets washed to the surface, making it more slick than once it has rained for a while. I see some evidence of this in that the initial rain will run off and oftentimes contain some foamy looking stuff. I've never felt the need to test whether the theory is valid, so I am extra-careful for the first few minutes of a rain.

3) Cornering isn't a problem - just slow down, lean OFF the bike more (so that the bike can stay more upright. I recall reading that traction in the wet is about 70% of that in the dry - again, I've never felt the need to test this, but I've had the ZX14 leaned decently in the rain with no hint of breaking traction.

4) It is much easier to spin the rear tire in the wet from a stop - just ease on the throttle. Be aware it is easy to spin the tire in the first *3* gears if you get happy with the throttle.

5) Brake early, and be very smooth on the brakes. Leave a lot of distance between yourself and the traffic in front to give yourself braking time and distance. I also use my rear brake much more in th rain. Be aware that you are less visible to other drivers as well, so that may mean maintaining even more distance from the cars in front to ensure someone behind you doesn't rear end you if you have to stop fast. It can also mean running faster than traffic, to stay in clear areas. Also keep in mind that wet brakes don't have the initial bite that dry brakes do - they need a few wheel rotations to scrub off before they really begin to grab.

6) Your visibilty will be reduced - by the rain and spray from traffic. Turn your head side to side at speed to clear the droplets. When you are moving much more slowly, you may have to open the visor and just deal with being pelted by rain in the face. It stings, but is better than not being able to see.

7) Keep rain gear with you and WEAR it if it starts to rain. The ride will be much more comfortable if you aren't cold and wet, or even just wet.

8) Watch out for painted surfaces - dividing lines, lane markers, lane turns markers, etc. Also, the center of a lane may be more slick initially because of oil buildup from cars passing over it.

9) If you get caught in the rain, and don't feel comfortable, by all means pull over someplace safe and wait it out if possible.

Mostly, relax - I find riding in the rain to be kind of enjoyable if I am dressed for it - and the weather isn't threatening hail or a tornado.

(apologies for digging up a kind of dead thread - I figured I have something to add that is useful here).

lemosley01 said:
(apologies for digging up a kind of dead thread - I figured I have something to add that is useful here).

No apologies needed. This is all great stuff.  I tell you, you hit the nail on the head about the painted parts on the streets.  One cold morning there was just a very little amount of frost on the grass. I stopped a little long at a traffic light whereby I was just on top of the wide white line. When I put my foot down, I was off to a dance. Man that was slick as nothing else.  Same day on a slight incline, I had an occasion to hover my feet due to stop and go traffic. My foot touched down on the stuff they spray on the roads to keep them from freezing.  Man that stuff is very slick, surprisingly.

Painted surfaces are bad news - if there is frost, there may be some frost on them. If they are wet, they are slick.

Also watch out for metal surfaces. Same problems, but magnified. One thing that REALLY concerns me when it is wet are those big metal plates they put down in road construction areas - watch out for those things and do NOT brake while on them.

Painted or metal surfaces lack grip in the dry. So I avoid them like a plague in the wet or freezing type of weather. But if I have to ride on the either forced or by accident. Then it's the utmost gentle inputs, lean angles and braking if needed.