• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

strange noise

mchuey19629489

I have a 2002 C10 with a little over 72,000.00 trouble free miles. Maintenance on time all the time. But I noticed a noise coming from the top end that is more pronounced as time goes on, it is more noticeable from the left side by the cam chain but it is also present on the right side. It is not the regular cam chain chatter, that I know for sure.
I am thinking/hoping it is time for a valve adjustment, and I'll get into that this Saturday but the sound is loudest after you blip the throttle and let the rpms come back down, then at about 3,000 you hear it. It does sound like valve chatter, just looking for some insight I guess.
Also it is more noticeable driving thee bike as compared to at idle.
I have had Steve's over-flow tubes for 4 years now.
The bike runs strong, starts easy, will hold a idle all day, runs cool. Just that noise has be bothered?
thanks,
Mark

No I switched to the APE Manual tension sometime ago. I have it adjusted pretty good I think, its more of a noise coming from the exhaust valves and cam. I'm going to dig into it saturday....

There were some cams that were pretty crappy(technical term) that would pit severely and crumble around the edges of the lobes...

man I hope not. I am on my second set of cams due to that pitting issue.
The first set went at 60,000. so this set is not old and are not high millage although they were used but were in really good shape.
When the first set went bad it made the bike really difficult to tune but minimal noise.