• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

STRANGE WEAR ON PIRELLI ANGEL

RUBY2012

Hello, I have noticed a strange wear pattern on my first and second set of Pirelli Angels rear tire. It seems that it is wearing more on the left side than the right. I got 5300k on my first one and now have 4700k on the second one. Has anybody experienced this? The bike is a 2012 and I have 10,800K on it. Is it the tires or the bike? I can take my hands off the handlebars and it goes straight and it handles fine....hhmmmm.

There are lots of discussions on this topic here and other places, and while some believe in the US it is the construction of crown on road, the overwhelming evidence is that this is caused by the amount of time, and speed, associated with left hand turns v. right hand turns. If you do a little digging you'll find very technical briefings on this, but in a nutshell, in countries where you drive/ride in the right lane, left turns are much longer and usually carry more speed causing increased wear on the left side of tires.

Thanks Dalroo, my brother who owns a C-10 in PA. said the same thing ( the "crown"). Never saw this on my C-10 that I put 85K on (mostly with Avons) I have new Avons wating to be put on and we will see if the same thing happens.

Thanks, Bill

Bill said:
Hello, I have noticed a strange wear pattern on my first and second set of Pirelli Angels rear tire. It seems that it is wearing more on the left side than the right. I got 5300k on my first one and now have 4700k on the second one. Has anybody experienced this? The bike is a 2012 and I have 10,800K on it. Is it the tires or the bike? I can take my hands off the handlebars and it goes straight and it handles fine....hhmmmm.
during some touring rides, on back roads, i have noticed some roads severely crowned.  i also rode with a guy that always rode in the right side of the right lane, near the fog line, which is usually dropping off at a more severe angle.  i guess he had had a problem with oncoming traffic.  if a road is really crowned , i will hug the double yellow line, moving right if necessary if traffic is coming.  if you frequent roads like that, ride near the double if it is safe and not slowing anyone down.  also, try running 43 or 44 pounds.  i had a rear shinko that went fast, mostly on the left side.  the next one i ran at 44 pounds and i got about a 35% mileage bonus, and only slightly more wear on the left side than the right.

slider said:
during some touring rides, on back roads, i have noticed some roads severely crowned.  i also rode with a guy that always rode in the right side of the right lane, near the fog line, which is usually dropping off at a more severe angle.  i guess he had had a problem with oncoming traffic.  if a road is really crowned , i will hug the double yellow line, moving right if necessary if traffic is coming.  if you frequent roads like that, ride near the double if it is safe and not slowing anyone down.  also, try running 43 or 44 pounds.  i had a rear shinko that went fast, mostly on the left side.  the next one i ran at 44 pounds and i got about a 35% mileage bonus, and only slightly more wear on the left side than the right.

Yeaaaah......no. Please go back and re-read reply #1.
Speed and distance, not crown, accelerates wear
on left side.