• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stripped bolt???

gwenzz1972

Pulled the wheels off for a tire change on my 2011 C-14 and found the rear caliper bracket had a slightly damaged/stripped bolt. The bracket bolt hole is a bit rough as well. Nobody to blame but me.
My machining skills are nearly zero and the tap/die kit I have is simple and doesn't appear to be good enough to clean it up.
Anyone know the thread numbers/dimensions for that bolt & bracket?
Better yet, should I just find a good machine shop and see if they can clean it up for me???

Attachments

• 20231202_121648.jpg
    20231202_121648.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 40
Looking at the photo it is hard to tell if the threads are repairable or not. If they are able to be repaired I would consider a thread repair kit before a tap and die kit. Also, I would thread the repair kit from the back side of the bracket where the threads are likely the best.

If not, and this is from memory so please don't hate on me if I'm wrong, however I believe that bolt is to prevent the bracket from rotating and you could possibly tap it to a larger bolt or use a helicoil.

Look up the fastener in your favorite online parts source. That should tell you what the fastener size is. The other way is to go to your local hardware store and use their thread gauges to find the correct size. Use the correct size die to clean the embedded metal out of the bolt threads. Use the tap to clean up the threads in the bracket. This is the first step. Next is to determine if there is enough good thread in the bracket to bolt back into. The process of repairing the threads with a heilcoil would be to drill out the original threads and tap new threads into the bracket. Then a threaded insert is installed with the outside threads to match the new hole threads and ithe inside threads are the original size.

If your original tap didn't make the threads look better, there might not be enough metal left to clean up, plus you shouldn't have run a tap through until you knew what size it is. You could have damaged any remaining thread by using the wrong size. This last comment is based on OP last question.

If the threads aren't repairable, you can just buy a used bracket and a new bolt. A quick eBay search yields an inexpensive replacement: https://www.ebay.com/itm/144653847004

Otherwise you may find somebody here parting out a c14 with a spare bracket. Don't try to reuse that bolt unless you're positive you have all of the old aluminum cleaned out of the threads. Being a stainless fastener going into aluminum, it's super easy to gall the threads, as your picture shows. Personally I'd chuck that bolt in the bin and use a new one so I don't risk the same thing on the repaired/new bracket.

Good luck!
Aaron

Here's bracket and bolt.

I'm lookin' at the KAWASAKI website for parts and it APPEARS the 2008-2009 parts in question are interchangeable with my 2011.
I was able to clean up the threads and reassemble the bike yesterday and rode to work today. The bolt in question accepted the torque without protest or any odd sounds.
HOWEVER.....I'm thinkin I might just snatch up that e-bay bracket & bolt and change it out....just to be safe.
Thanks for the information and input. I truly appreciate it!!!
-James