• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stripped windscreen bolt???

jasonc32amg

Bicycle
What is the deal with the allenhead bolts for the windscreen. This sucker is stripped and I'm not sure what my next move is??? These are 5mm right? I've never had an issue with allenheads before.  :mad:

Attachments

• StippedBolt.jpg
    StippedBolt.jpg
    456.3 KB · Views: 100
A lot of the bolts on this bike are soft and strip easy! To remove I would take a sharp flat chisel and cut a small slot (or Indentation) into the bolt head in about the 8 o'clock position. Then using the chisel in the slot try to tap the screw head around till it loosens.

If you have a dremmel cut a straight slot in it and use a #3 straight slot screwdriver to take it out .

Take a close look at the allen bit you were using, and if it has a rediculously large chamfer around the end of it, place it against a grinder and grind the end completely till the chamfer is gone, and all the corners meet the sharp end squarely.
All of the button head screws on this bike have a reduced socket depth from "standard", resulting in stripped hex's when you use an allen bit with a chamfered end. I have "modified" all my bits in this manner, and since doing so, have not had a problem, but i always "tap" them in slightly to bottom the bit out also.