• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

STS. SAFE TURN SYSTEM

silverfoxxx

Anyone with experience with installing the STS on the 2013 Concour? Any pointers would be appreciated.
Should this question have been in accessories?

I think he meant it should go in Accessories..
Can't ask too many question on the same post, most here aren't very sharp, the rest of us are quite obtuse - LOL

After I saw your post, I read on it a little; looks interesting. It looks like they did a lot of homework to put this together.
Two years ago, I would have jumped on it. I seem to have gotten better about remembering to turn off the turn signals, but it still sounds neeat.
Do you know how it work with the toggle-type switches most motorcycles have for the turn signal?
Do you have to modify the switch?

Well... now I've done it also, two questions on the same post. :eek:

LOL.  Ok I see the meaning of his “yes”. You put rubber bushing type in the turn signa switch to prevent locking on.

For the paying COG members, check page #10 of your latest issue of the Concourier.  Fred Harmon wrote a detailed review of the entire STS system including how to install it.

What if a paying member accidently threw his latest Concourier away? Where might he find this information? Asking for a friend ;)

LOl. I also have a friend that would like to see the article. OK. I found mine. I’ll let my friend know.

Got the STS installed. It WORKS GREAT! I originally ordered from the manufacturer in Slovenia. For some reason could not convert from US to their currency so ordered from Amazon. The wire colors were off in the one I got from them. If the later packages have not been corrected, instead of the orange wire for the signal relay you need to use the red/green wire. All others work.
It’s awsoome the way it works.

I sent you a pm but it would probably help better here! How did you connect it up, blade connectors, crimp or did you just splice it in? And how far down in the wire harness did you put yours?

I used the bullet connectors that came with mine. I cut into harness just below the connectors up under the side pocket. It’s tight under there and with all the connectors connected it takes up even more space. If I had just splice and used heat shrink tubing it would have looked a lot neater and taken up lot less space. With all the connectors it does make a good size bundle. I should have taken picture before putting every thing back together.
With the left side pocket out and then part it sets in removed, you notice the metal framing that the pocket is attached to. Visually follow that forward. You will see another vertical piece with several holes in it. Just past that the round metal tube goes on forward. I placed the STS on that metal tube just past that piece with the he’s in it. Sorta fit perfectly on it and one zip tie seems to hold it very tightly. Hope this is of some help. Any other questions I’ll check back here later and often. You will appreciate the way it works.

ChrisD said:
Currently on sale at their site for $99.00 use code "BATCH33".

Just bought one too.... :)

https://www.safer-turn.com/us/
Thanks for the tip. While I learned to be really good with with canceling the turn signal, there is no way to be perfect, and it’s only takes one time to forget and get in trouble. And it could be in area that is new, complicated, and congested when you need it most. No looking forward to the install, but will be buying for the next time the bike is getting naked.

I look at it this way, we all forget to turn off the signal at times.  I surely do, to include most of the folks I ride with. It is just a way of life on a bike. I figure with all the added distractions out there and keeping track of everything going on around me that this will remove a step that I don't have to worry about. So, I lump it along the lines of a safety upgrade, which to me is a number 1 priority up there with additional lighting, louder horn, etc.....

:beerchug:

Looking at the connectors that ship with the kit, I'm hoping and expecting there is enough slack in the wire C-14 harness to solder and shrink wrap those connections. It looks fairly simple if you can get at them. A switched Hot, and a ground and then intercepting three wires so that the switch signals go into and out of the module. Soldering and shrink wrapping 8 wires should do it. Taking apart the turn signal switch is the other unknown, but doesn't look too bad.

Ken should know.  ::)  I'll find out at some point......

I'm going to start with this....If anybody has an issue with me doing this, I'll take it down.    >:D

STS offers a 10 Euro discount ($12.20) if you click on the link below. I get some Euro credit too. I think it works out to a 7% discount when you check out.

Here is their message:

Hey,

Give your friends 10 € discount on Smart Turn System, and get 20 € EVERY time they use your link to order Smart Turn System.

Thank you for helping us make the road a safer place for motorcyclists.

Send this message to friends:

Hey, check out  STS - The most intelligent self-cancelling turn signal add-on:
http://smartturnsystem.refr.cc/osebastevenrutter

I would also check to see if they have a promotion that has more value.  ::)  I hope to get it working soon and will post pictures.  Fred Harmon says it works great, so that is good enough for me to pass along the link before trying it out for myself.  You are all my friends.

Just an FYI. if they have not corrected it in the instructions, instead of the orange wire for the relay, the correct color will be the red/green. Red wire with the green stripe.
Hope this is helpful.

Thanks Ken. Good info. I have a color pdf of the C-14 wiring diagram. I’ll post up a snap shot of the turn signal harness wires when I get a chance.

I got mine installed tonight! My kit is a few years old( kickstarter edition) so i came with cool wire splicers. Unfortunately I initially wired it backwards so i had to cut them out. I did have bullet connectors. But after some swearing ( my fault) and dinner ( so ordered by the little lady) i got to test it out. This thing is amazing. The switch needs adjusting ( foam spacers) but it really is fantastic! Turns off after you make a turn. Shuts off if you accidentally leave them on in a straight line! I wish kawasaki did this from the start but ill take it!

Here is the C-14 color diagram.  Can someone double check these three wire colors? Seems to match what Ken is saying about the Red/Green Flasher.

Edit: Confirmed.....Those are the three wires I connected to! Green, gray and red w/ green stripe!

stswiring.jpg

On AJ Cycles they ask for an extension harness length. none,12,24,36 and 48 inch  Does the 14 Concours need one ?

Hi. Just a side note on placing the little rubber thingies in the signal switch. I was making it way to difficult. You may not make this mistake but mention just in case you haven’t opened it yet. When you separate them all you need to do is just turn the front section upside down. Right there you cas see where the spacers go but turning the left or right side blinker switch.
I looked at that thing an hour or more. Even taking the slider section apart. lol Way simpler than what I was trying. Maybe you already knew that but just thought I’d throw that in.

Another FYI for anyone who has installed the Gixerhp Switchback lights  I had the question if they would hamper the operation of the STS. They do not. I installed that system several months ago. Another item I highly recommend.

The web link is for real. Shipped as exactly as promised in a well packaged box. It took 13 Days to arrive. I’ll have it installed the next time I do some maintenance work.

Once you get used to it, you’re gonna love it!!! :great:
I still have to adjust my sponge spacers because i have to still press the turn signal cancel button. But it works flawlessly!!

Hi. So are you saying you still have to press the signal switch for it to self cancel? Sounds like the spacers are not wide enough to prevent locking in the on position.

Yeah. I couldn’t get them to stay in place. I ended up cutting one in half. But i still have more , so ill fix it this weekend! How did you get your spacers to stay in place?

well I dropped on of the small ones and it disappeared forever. I cut one of the big ones in half. So far they have stayed put.

I think i cut one of the smaller ones! Im gonna do the larger ones when i open it up again. Im doing an oil change and air filter this weekend, so ill get to it this week! Other than that i do love this little thing! It is nice!

Yeah the thicker one did work best for me. Now that its broke in so to speak it is as easy as before to turn on left or right blinker. Have fun.
Later....

I installed and tested the STS auto cancelling turn signal system.  The job is really not that difficult, and I’ll recap what others said above with some advice of my own. It takes arguably less time than to install than changing the pesky air filter, and removing the left side upper fairing is the same as required for that job. 

It’s easy to release the turn signal switch pod harness from a cable clamp on the left triple key.  Pull up the harness to work on it.  Cut a flap in the harness jacket and find the green, grey, and red/green wires.  Cut them and crimp on the male bullet connectors for the wires coming from the switch, and female bullet connectors to the wires headed to the motorcycle.  From there, it’s simple to insert the module and it’s plug and play at that point.  STS provides crimp-on tab connectors for the power, but I chose to solder and heat shrink the power cables.  I had power in the front fairing from my fuse block, so I used that.  Otherwise, pick a power source that comes on with powering the bike.

Once the electrical connections were made, the harness will have a bulge where the bullet connectors are located.  I tie wrapped them to provide strain relieve for the connectors, and then used my favorite tape called extreme repair tape sold by Duluth trading company.  It is rubber, flexible, and sticks to itself and water proofs the harness.  I then repositioned the harness to allow the bars to turn.
https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/product/repair-tape-x-treme-tape-96825.aspx

I then fished the STS module to the upper most part of the left fairing.  You will see a cavity next to the windshield rail.  The best way to describe the installation is that there is a horizontal fairing stay near the upper screw.  Tie wrapping the module harness to the rail, lets the module sit on a little ledge inside the fairing.  The location was level and made the module secure. 

The biggest mystery to me before starting was the little foam pads that get inserted into the turn signal switch.  That was the easiest part of the job!  The switch pod had two long Philips screws, and comes apart easily.  Flip the front section over and you will see the two slots where the foam pads get installed.  Move the switch to the left and the right to insert the pads.  I found that the smaller size pads with a small piece of double sided tape was a perfect solution.  The double sided tape will hold the pads in place, and obviously are on the outside of the switch housing.

So why go to all of that trouble?  Because, duh, you get self-cancelling turn signals!  :motonoises: My 65 mile test ride, proves that it works exactly as advertised.  The turn signal switch with the foam pads becomes a momentary switch instead of a latching switch.  The difference is, you turn it on, and if you never need to do so, you turn it on again to turn it off.  I tried passing, and it detects the lane change.  I put the signal on riding a straightaway, and it will automatically cancel without turns after about 12-15 seconds.  That right there says, you can’t ride for miles with a blinking turn signal and burn up you blinker fluid. Otherwise, it obviously cancels automatically after the completion of a turn.  It’s interesting how natural a self-cancelling turn signal is.  Why doesn’t the bike ship that way?  It’s an obvious safety improvement.  I also verified that it works great with the Switchback LED lights.  One of my posts above has a link for a discounted price.  Hope this helps. 

Here is a link to their manual
https://www.safer-turn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/STS_install_manual_FINAL_V6.pdf

Here are some photos of the switch assembly and foam inserts. (Before someone asks, the red switch is for my garage door opener)

bullets.jpg

modulewiring.jpg

Turn signal switch before the pads
turnswitch.jpg

Switch with the pads
padsafter.jpg

Fred mentioned this one limitation of the STS system in his review in the Concourier.  I encountered it yesterday during a ride.  As we know, the turn signal will self cancel in approx. 12-15 seconds without a turn.  I was approaching a stop sign with the right turn signal on.  As I crawled along waiting for my turn to the right, the turn signal canceled. If I would have stopped before that timeout, it would have stayed on.  Not a big deal to restart it, and certainly better and safer than riding for miles with it flashing.  I assume others have had this happen? 

I'm curious if anyone else besides the few on this thread have installed this STS self-cancelling turn signal system?  I was on a long COG ride yesterday, and it worked perfectly.  A few riders could have used it, since their blinker fluid was getting a workout the entire way down Seak's Run Road.  :nananana:

Spent the day putting this together with no success. Step by step. SPlit the cover and fished out the green, grey and red/green wires. Cut each and put appropriate connectors in place. Found power and ground and tapped those with the supplied connectors. Connected the bike side wires. Turned on ignition and noted 2 flashes. Opened the switch and put in the foams. Connected the switch side 3 wires.  Turned on and got 2 flashes but no signals. Hazard worked.

Went back and disconnected taking foams out and connected original set up. Worked as stock. Reconnected STS unit. No signals. Hazard works. 18 emails back and forth to support with pics of wiring and set up with great detail  of each action and change I tried. . Changed ground, check power and used a jumper to test power. Still getting 2 flashes with STS unit in place when ignition turned on but  no signals with foams or with out foams and switch reset.

I think this is pretty straight forward and seemingly easy . I am not sure why this will not signal when the circuit is plugged in. STS unit is horizontal with logo up and arrow forward. I think support gave up on me as there are no further responses. Any input is appreciated. Wiring is correct and checked by my engineer son and my mechanic brother in law. Grounds are solid and power is going to unit. Unplugging and using connectors to go back to stock set up returns signals to functional

Did you cut down your foam pieces? I had to cut mine in half with wise. They were way to think. Signals wouldnt engage!!

Sounds like a bad STS unit to me.  I believe you that you are competent and checked your work. I saw on a BMW forum that a common problem is that users mix up which side of the cut wires gets the male and female bullet connectors. The direction matters. Again, not saying you have them backwards, but perhaps worth checking if you are not sure. The switch operation could be an issue as well. I used the smallest foam pieces that shipped with a piece of double sided tape to keep them in place and it worked fine. Hopefully STS Tech support sends you another unit quickly if that is the issue. Bummer.

Tjnoma99 said:
Did you cut down your foam pieces? I had to cut mine in half with wise. They were way to think. Signals wouldnt engage!!

The thin foams were plenty thin but support had me take them out and try the signal (to no avail) and cancel and try it the other way (again to no avail)  Putting the thin ones I can see why the double stick tape is needed, they will not stay in place when the switch goes the other way.

As for the connectors.... I read and reread the instructions several times to make sure where the males and females were supposed to be situated. Once I had it down I did all the bike side stuff first and then proceeded with the switch side stuff.

I am beginning to believe it may be a bad unit as many times as I took it apart checked and reassembled to make sure all steps were perfect.

I can't get my unit to work either. My mechanic installed it and I reviewed the connections and tested them as we could.

Contact STS?  Mine still works great.  In fact I dont think I would want to ride without it. 

I ended up wiring the unit this weekend and used the free power leads up front for the power. The only thing I did different is I wired it after the connector from the handle-bars, so I used the orange wire instead of the red-green. BE AWARE OF WHICH SIDE OF THE CONNECTOR YOU'RE ON AS THIS WIRE DOES CHANGE COLOR!!

The unit seems to work great for cancelling, and it's a REAL easy install! IF you want to pull it out later, you pull out the unit and reconnect your bike side connectors to the handlebar side. Can't get simpler.

One thing I did different, is I pulled a fuse relay from up under the center cover on the tank and just put the unit in the foam that holds the fuse relays. I then zip tied the relay elsewhere since this unit has to be pretty firmly mounted.

I'd highly recommend it!

4Bikes said:
Thanks for posting your results. Wait till you ride with it for a few weeks. They couldn’t pay you to give it back since it works so well.  :great:  It’s  great to finally be infallible with the turn signal. And a heck of a lot safer too.
After a few months and well over 6000 miles, I can’t say enough about this STS system. I have not left my turn signal on one single time. You just can’t do that without the system, and I don’t care how good you are.  :motonoises:

4Bikes said:
Fred mentioned this one limitation of the STS system in his review in the Concourier.  I encountered it yesterday during a ride.  As we know, the turn signal will self cancel in approx. 12-15 seconds without a turn.  I was approaching a stop sign with the right turn signal on.  As I crawled along waiting for my turn to the right, the turn signal canceled. If I would have stopped before that timeout, it would have stayed on.  Not a big deal to restart it, and certainly better and safer than riding for miles with it flashing.  I assume others have had this happen?

I think that would be enough to discourage me from purchasing this. Pros and Cons to both. I'll stay with the stock setting and cancel myself.

You must be better than most and I thought I was better than most.  I ride with guys that leave their turn signals on many times on just one ride. That said, I don’t care how good you are, there will be times when you are distracted, usually being in a strange congested area looking for gas, and that is the time when you are going to leave it on in a busy intersection.  So while you pointed to a negative, I stand by this statement. “Not a big deal to restart it, and certainly better and safer than riding for miles with it flashing.”  Is is actually a rare case to have to restart the signal. Handful of times if that in thousands of miles.  So much better than running the chance of riding straight when others think you are turning.

I just bought my C14 Monday and one irritation has been the non-cancelling turn signals. The 2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad I sold 2 months ago had them. Why wouldn't Ma Kaw put the same thing on the C14s?  :-[  ::)

Anyway, I just ordered the STS. They currently have the price at $99 and the discount code you linked to still works for 10% off.

Thanks for finding this!

Leo

I got it installed yesterday and it tests fine. Haven't ridden it yet as  I'm adding horns and haven't finished the wiring.
They did add an asterisked note to the wiring color chart noting the C14 wire is red/green instead of orange.

Indeed on the wiring. The C-14 wiring diagram is shown in reply #21 in this thread.

Let us know how it works when you get back on the road.  :motonoises:

Well, I definitely like it.
It works as expected except the time out shut off isn't working. It will blink for over 1/2 a minute in testing on a straight rode (then I turned it off). I've sent an email to Safer-Turn.

Nit picking: As noted above a lane change requires a couple of leans. A subtle slow lane change won't always shut it off. Also as above mine requires a little more pressure against the foam pad for a right turn than left. Not a big deal at all, but...
I think I will pull the switch apart and put solid spacers in place of the foam, just thick enough so the switch won't latch. No, it's not necessary but will give me a little project to play around with and I like to work on this type of stuff. I keep going out to the garage looking at it going, "What can I do to it? What can I do to it?"  ::) ;D

Me: It works ok, I'm going to improve it.    It works better, I'm going to improve it.    It works great, I'm going to imp....  Sh*t, I broke it!!!    :rotflmao: :-[

I got a reply from ST over night, "We have solved that with concours riders. The unit is constantly getting vibrations from the road to check that you are driving. And concours is one of the smoothest bikes out there. Solution was to firmly press the unit directly to the frame with zip ties. Nothing should be between the unit and the frame."
I mounted the sensor on the square tube next to the throttle cable rather than up front near the the triple tree (as it was easier to get to) so it's midway between the wheels and only sees half the vibration from either one... So, looks like I need to pull the plastic off and move it up front so it bounces more.  :-[ :D    I do brag about how smooth the bike is....

Good the know.  :great:  I mounted my unit in the upper most part of the left fairing in a cavity next to the windshield rail.  The best way to describe the installation is that there is a horizontal fairing stay near the upper screw.  Tie wrapping the module harness to the rail, lets the module sit on a little ledge inside the fairing.  The location was level and made the module secure.  I guess it's bouncy enough up there.

I have been using the STS for the entire riding season.  I can honestly say that not once have I ridden along with my turn signal flashing, and catching it later.  The system makes your riding safer and it works. 

I just installed a Smart Turn System on my 2018 C14.  It was the first time I've opened up the top fairing section and tapped into the wiring, so I thought I would shoot a brief video that shows the wire connections and location of the STS unit, especially since the instructions have you hunting for the orange wire that drives the power windscreen instead of the correct signal wire. 

Hope this might help someone thinking of doing the same.  The STS works great!

https://youtu.be/cWGaOVKPYfA

Nice work with the video.  :great:  Reply #21 in this thread shows the correct wire colors as you mentioned. Funny to me that the video makes this job appear more complicated than I recall. It was pretty easy to do, and after over a year of running the system, I wouldn’t want to ride without it.

I have it on mine, purchased for 99.00. They work really well. Easy to install. Never have to remember to shut off blinkers :)

Keith S said:
I just installed a Smart Turn System on my 2018 C14.  It was the first time I've opened up the top fairing section and tapped into the wiring, so I thought I would shoot a brief video that shows the wire connections and location of the STS unit, especially since the instructions have you hunting for the orange wire that drives the power windscreen instead of the correct signal wire. 

Hope this might help someone thinking of doing the same.  The STS works great!

https://youtu.be/cWGaOVKPYfA

Your are the Man!  Thanks for the video.  It made thinking about it to ordering and getting it done.  You may have saved a life (or just prolonged my stay!)