• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stuck in Slovakia - Update

jimp

Sport Tourer
Jim P reporting from Slovakia - thats the other half of the old Czechoslovakia. I overheated the motor on Seans C10 when the fan sensor went out, and afterwards the bike refused to start. Not knowing the language, it has taken me two and a half days to find a mechanic to help me diagnose the problem. It lost all compression in cylinders 1 and 4, 3 is half what it should be, only 2 has any compression.

The bike is dead, and I am over 700 miles from Heidelberg in Germany where Sean lives.  :eek:  It will take several days to get a new head gasket, and who knows if I can get the head machined. Although that shouldnt be too much of a problem.

Now this is adventure touring.  Any chance we have any COG members in Slovakia?  :rotflmao:

I will report back in a few days when I get it sorted. Just thought I let you all know what was going on. The GCE Rally has been fun, but the weather has been extremely hot and humid. What riding I did was on everything from goat trails to superb freshly paved roads. Bernd and Gie gave their OtP trip report last night and everyone enjoyed it. I added color to their commentary for some stuff.

See ya down the road. Cheers! Na zdravy!

Sorry for your troubles Jim but I hope in all you find a way to enjoy.  Sounds like Adventure Touring to me too.

Well... no joy with the head gasket replacement, so I arranged with a local mechanic to haul me and the bike back to Birkenau from Slovakia. I'm not going to say what it cost me, but let's just say my trip budget went out the window.  :rotflmao:  But I promised Sean I would get the bike home, so after a 14 hour road trip in a Mercedes mini-van, the bike's in the garage.

Sean has a reconditioned head just sitting on the shelf, and a new gasket, so all he needs to do is have the deck surfaced and he's good to go. BTW, Sean has two single car garage bays filled with enough Concours parts to build 3 or 4 additional bikes - frames, motors, wheels, bodywork... everything.

Gotta run. Sean and Sabine, Sean's brother Paul and his wife Louise are ready to go to dinner, and I better go before I run out of energy. I think one beer and I'm going to be out like a light.

Pictures of my trip will be forthcoming, along with a report.

C'ya on the road!  ;D

Attachments

• van2.JPG
    van2.JPG
    623.2 KB · Views: 103
  • van1.JPG
    van1.JPG
    569.8 KB · Views: 103
JPavlis_CA said:
Now this is adventure touring.  Any chance we have any COG members in Slovakia?  :rotflmao:

Isn't Bernd now a member of COG after his OtP trip?  ;)

Wow that is a tight fit.  I have not seen that tight a fit since my.... oh never mind.  ;D

Bummer. hate to hear that this happened to your ride.
Sounds like you are thinking head gasket/valves/warped head.
What about the rings?

A quick way to check the rings (while your there) would be to put a couple of drops of oil in each cylinder.
The oil would temporarily seal the rings if they are worn and the cylinder pressure would increase.

Regardless, sounds like the ride is over.
Ask Sean to keep us updated on what he finds...

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Jim........I would given my eye teeth to do this trip. I have been to the Czech republic and would like to go back, especially on two wheels. Sounds like you are experiencing the agony of borrowed bikes.......ask Colin about his recent experience :-[  I'm sure it will all work out in the end........can't wait to see the photos!