• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Stuck in the parking lot with my newly bought 2008 concourse 14

Can anyone help me now!  I am unable to turn the dial from FSS to on so I can start my motorcycle and go home! I am able to take out the key but it willnot turn to the on location.

Thanks everyone

Thetraveler59 :'(

First off, I'm sure your pushing down first to get the KIPASS switch to initiate right. (I had to ask) If so:

One of two things probably has happened. Either you (might) have a battery issue, or might have a stuck activation switch. You can go either way. A bad battery, loose or bad connections can cause this.
You need to check to see if the battery terminals (as well as the ground block outside the battery box) are clean and tight. And you can check with a multimeter what kind of voltage you battery has. Of course this will not test it under load (which is better). But it may give you an idea. You need decent battery power for the KIPASS to work. Otherwise you can't turn the ignition switch on.
Then there's the stuck activation switch. The switch has been known to do this on a lot on the C14's. Rumor has it that they may be using a stronger return spring now. This has been more common on the earlier C14's. What you can do to make it release is one of two things. The activation switch is at the 9 o'clock position under the ignition switches black cover. People have been known to beat on it with a rock or other solid object to get it to jar loose and release. (No I'm not kidding!). This has been very effective to many, including myself. But I suggest you use a rag or something to cushion the blows to protect the switch covers finish. Most of the time, it will jar the switch loose.
Then there's the second method. Under the left side (clutch side), filler panel. There is a black boot towards the front. Under this boot is wiring and connectors. The gray connector can be disconnected, then reconnected to reset the switch and allow it to unlock. But with this method, you only have seconds between the reconnection (key light on the dash lights up), and turning the key. You must turn the switch to on quickly. Then deal with putting this back together after the bike has the key switch on. This will also only work one time per stuck activation switch. So if yours is really stuck, you'll be doing this every time you need to start the bike.
Hopefully the bike is under warranty still. Kawasaki should address this. But in past cases they may not actually fix the problem. Some times it's must be verified before they work on it. And some times they only clean the same parts that are failing. Hopefully they will install the rumored new and improved spring. Good luck with it. Hopefully you get her going and repaired in short order.

Cap N Bob,
Thank you so much for your help. you mentioned low battery are you talking about the key fab that I keep in my pocket or the mtorcycle battery?  The second method of disconnecting the gray  connector do I need any specail tools?  I'm very limited with mechanicle ability!  Last resort canthe bike be towed with out damage and will it have to be in nuetral for the tow truck driver?

Yes  the warrante is good but i just boughthe bike and have not got my new warantee card as of yet.  I have my bill of sale. hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks again: thetraveler59 /aka Robert

Try tapping on the outer portion of the ignition housing at the 9 o'clock position with a sharp object, like a block of wood. Sometimes this is enough to free a stuck activation switch.

Before you go banging on the ign, I'd suggest checking the battery terminals (The bike's main battery which is under a cover plate on the right side of the bike)  There is a ground wire that bolts to the frame that has been known to work loose.  Also if this is the original battery, its likely that it went bad as it would be pushing almost 4 years old now.

If the battery is tight, and you verify that it has a good charge, THEN you can try banging on the ign....  Just my 0.02

Yes the motorcycle battery. Although it never hurts to check the fob itself.

Disconnecting the gray connector only requires removing the left side filler panel.  (maybe you could reach under without removing). But on an 08, you do not have the glove box in the panel. So it's not too bad. Although you will probably have to pull the glove box cover off the tank. And getting to the plastic rivet under the windshield can be a pain. I normally would just pull the shield (six screws). But it still is time consuming just to get to the gray connector. That's why I always used the K-Rock method myself!  :))

I would use a trailer or flat bed if you plan on towing it.

thetraveler59 said:
Cap N Bob,
Thank you so much for your help. you mentioned low battery are you talking about the key fab that I keep in my pocket or the mtorcycle battery?  The second method of disconnecting the gray  connector do I need any specail tools?  I'm very limited with mechanicle ability!  Last resort canthe bike be towed with out damage and will it have to be in nuetral for the tow truck driver?

Yes  the warrante is good but i just boughthe bike and have not got my new warantee card as of yet.  I have my bill of sale. hopefully that will be enough.

Thanks again: thetraveler59 /aka Robert

When I had this exact problem on my 2009, I was able to reach under the left upper faring cover and disconnect this grey connector.  It worked like magic.  Another hint is to press the key down with you index finger and let your finger slide off the switch quickly so the key "snaps up".  That might work.  I have not had another issue with this yet (Knock on wood, or plastic...)

Tom

I want to say thank you to everyone who posted and gave me good advice.
turns out when I turned the dial to the FSS position it drained the battery.
I was jumped and drove it to the dealer to get it charged and checked.

After a 2 hour charge I was told it was 11.5 and the battery was bad and needed to be replaced.
Interestingly I got a call from a fellow who was interested in buying my Honda Nighthawk and told me
how to really test a battery to see if it is good or bad.

So I will be buying a charger and a voltmeter and with a 24 full charge I will hook it back up, turn the lights on for 10 seconds and take
a reading with the voltmeter. if it is over 12 then the battery is good.

So there is some hope for me to develop some mechanical ability!

The FSS key position should NOT drain the battery.  It is supposed to be the same as OFF, but allows the key to be removed.  If you have any drain on the battery in the FSS position, you may have a bad key switch. 

You can test this by putting a current (amperage) meter in series with the battery cable (between the battery and the cable), while the key is in the FSS position.  It should measure no different than with the key in the OFF position.  Just make sure you remove the meter before moving the key to the other position.

If your dealer told you FSS will drain the battery, tell them they are wrong.  I leave my bike parked for weeks, even months during the off season, in the FSS position.

Also, many have had the battery replaced under the 3 year warranty.  Since yours is an 08, it may be out of warranty, unless you have the extended warranty.

I agree with C1 i leave mine in FSS whenever it is at home so that if i need to run out to the garage and get something out of the saddlebag or something i dont have to remeber the fob.  Depending on when the bike was first uncrated that battery could be 3 years old with most of it just sitting on the dealer floor with no maintenance charge.  For the 85 bucks and piece of mind i would just replace the battery.  Just my 2 cents

I usually don't leave it in FSS, but I have in the past with no ill effects,  it's more likely the battery was bad and wasn't taking/holding a charge thus draining fast when the bike was off...

As for leaving it in FSS to get to the bags etc,,,I had a copy of the key cut and keep that on a keyring, so aside from when I get gas, I never use the stove knob as a key :)  Just how I do it..YMMV

I totally agree. FSS should not put a drain on the battery. Replace the battery. It's already 3-4 years old. Why mess with it.