• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SW area I need your help

OMoaC

I'd like to plan an overnight camp trip below the snow line in late Nov. early Dec. (sorry CO and UT). So NV/ AZ/ CA. Just a meet up overnighter. Plan your own way in and out. Hang around the campfire for the night. First pass my thoughts are Bluebird Ortega Hwy in the OC So Cal, Palomar or Julian extreme So Cal, Tombstone AZ, Furnace creek DV, Joshua Tree NP? Gimme your suggestions.
Mark Hartman
COG/SWAD

Why you got to leave us frozen basterds out, lol how about a mesquite ride before it gets to cold. Rode today down south,, st George was  perfect, maybe some of the slc boys could chime in. Hello mike b

scooter said:
Why you got to leave us frozen basterds out, lol how about a mesquite ride before it gets to cold. Rode today down south,, st George was  perfect, maybe some of the slc boys could chime in. Hello mike b
Throw it out here Scoot. I'll play with ya.  :)

I would love to meet up around a campfire with some adult beverages almost anywhere in So. Cal. But a sleeping bag? The bones creak enough after a day on the bike. I guess I could make something work

I kinds like Laughlin/lake havasu or even Palm Springs. Gimme two weeks. I'll be back from the land of the rising sun and ready to ride about anywhere.

How about Ortega to Palomar to Palm Springs?  I mapped it out a while back for a possible ride for us SoCal peeps.  It's 195 miles and a little less than four hours ride time.

What about the Lake Havasu area easy access from I-40, hang around the lake, do a bond fire, swat flys & tell lies.

By the way Mark, thanks for lunch.  Devils Highway was a blast but we did have to pay tribute to the Devil along Hwy 78 in New Mexico...more on that later.

Reta & I are spending the night in Silver City NM at the Palace Hotel built in 1882, Cristy would love this place.

Any good camping in PS Jeff? Looking forward to the story wordsmith. Hope everything is OK. CDA?

I'll check into it.  Define what you mean by 'camping'...my ex defined 'camping' as a nice Winnebago with satellite TV.  :))

Check out Joshua Tree National Park.  It's a little less than an hour out of Palm Springs and a nice addition to the ride I mapped.

Tents and bags. I hear ya though  :)) Mine used to think the water in the RV came from a pipe in the ground. "Whattya mean I can't have a nice long hot shower". Joshua is nice but maybe a little chilly at night. Lows in the 30's. Trying to stay low desert. Parkers only another 2/3 hrs east of PS. That drop down into PS on the 74 is epic.

Parker may be the way to go.  All the tent & bag campgrounds in the area are up on the mountain.  I hear ya on the 74...it's great going up from Hemet all the way to down PS.  The South and East Grades of Palomar Mountain are epic.  I know a pro photographer that haunts Palomar, and loves to shoot group rides.  All we have to do is let him know approximately when we will be riding through.

I vote Furnace Creek. Can't be cold with a name like this. Plus accommodations for the timid campers. Epic ride into the valley. One day ride from Lake Tahoe/Reno. :great:

Steamer said:
I vote Furnace Creek. Can't be cold with a name like this. Plus accommodations for the timid campers. Epic ride into the valley. One day ride from Lake Tahoe/Reno. :great:
This, Sir, is very true. Nice riding up from Baker Ca through Shoshone and from Pahrump NV through Amargosa. You ever see those camp spots though? Might as well pitch a tent in a walmart parking lot scattered with rocks.  :)) Not a bad suggestion though. Keep 'em coming.

Steamer said:
I vote Furnace Creek. Can't be cold with a name like this.

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  You have obviously not spent much time in the Mojave Desert. You have a 50/50 chance of it feeling warm during the day, and you will freeze your butt off at night. BTDT, not sure my old bones can handle it anymore.

Mark - the Furnace Creek Campground has some trees and wasn't bad for a desert campground.If you look at it on Google Maps Satellite view, there's three loops. I had my toyhauler tucked into the trees of the smaller loop right where those two trailers are below the campground symbol.

Hmmm.... maybe I'll just bring the trailer down and do some 4 wheelin.  ;D

Yeah, what about us Frozen Bastards?  Good point Hulk Tits .........uh, Scooter.  While SL and the surrounding valleys sit about 4,600ft elevation, we have a considerable winter pass on I-15 around the Parowan area that's at 6,000ft.  This can be a precarious piece of road during the winter months. 

I will however be in St. George for Thanksgiving with the Fam as the boy is playing in the Dixie Invitational Soccer Tournament that weekend.

Cheers!

I'd be interested in Lake Havasu or the Parker area.  Haven't explored either of those areas.  I just got back from a trip to Death Valley and we always camp in Furnace Creek.  It's actually nice with the tent up in the trees.  The pool there is one of the nicest you'll find anywhere, warm water from underground springs.  It's just getting there that time of year, lots of high mountains all around and it can snow. I usually ride there in October, any later could be adventurous.  :eek:  Mark

Steamer said:
love furnace creek but the night's get cold very quickly after the sun goes down. If it's Furnace Creek we'll be camping out at the Inn with hot showers and wifi.  Let know soon so I can make reservations

BertL said:
love furnace creek but the night's get cold very quickly after the sun goes down. If it's Furnace Creek we'll be camping out at the Inn with hot showers and wifi.  Let know soon so I can make reservations

Don't know if I can go, but I'm a +1 for showers and wifi.... 

Old Man on a Connie said:
Tents and bags. I hear ya though  :)) Mine used to think the water in the RV came from a pipe in the ground. "Whattya mean I can't have a nice long hot shower". Joshua is nice but maybe a little chilly at night. Lows in the 30's. Trying to stay low desert. Parkers only another 2/3 hrs east of PS. That drop down into PS on the 74 is epic.

Ditto on a vote for Joshua Tree. Also there is a great pizza place outside the park called Pizza for the People.

If you do end up going to JT. Drop me a PM. I'm in Big Bear Lake, if there is no snow up in the mountains I'll try to visit.

Sounds Like some interest out there. Very cool. Seems the leading places are furnace creek and Parker strip. FC, nice riding and amenities. Mighty chilly at night though. Mark, Please send me more info on this camping in the trees place. Only ones I know of are upper and lower parking lots  :)). Parker strip, a river case Bert wants to go swimmin' decent riding and grass sites, a little kinder weather. I'll check room rates at FC and report back.

Hulk tits? Yes we're at 6000ft and cold that's why we gotta head south to ride , hope you and the family have a good thanksgiving

MikeB...maybe we should have our own "meeting" the same weekend...sort of a "North" event...maybe Grand Junction...or Fruita...they look like about mid-way...I mean...don't get me wrong...I'd love to ride 900 miles each way to see Mark, and all...but...with time constraints, and working for a living...well...you know what I mean...

and, seriously, I would have to watch the passes for that trip...

Have a great Thanksgiving!

CRocker said:
MikeB...maybe we should have our own "meeting" the same weekend...sort of a "North" event...maybe Grand Junction...or Fruita...they look like about mid-way...I mean...don't get me wrong...I'd love to ride 900 miles each way to see Mark, and all...but...with time constraints, and working for a living...well...you know what I mean...

That run down from Fruita to Cortez was pretty sweet.

Holy tighty whities Batman. Nov and Dec are peak times in the Valley of Death. Cheapest rooms I could find were about 150 a night with taxes. This location still in the runnin? Camping is still available but all sites are no elec. B rooms but no showers. Thoughts? I'll check the Parker strip next.

CRocker said:

That run down from Fruita to Cortez was pretty sweet.

Including the hail storm? :rotflmao:

CRocker said:
A 6000' pass would scare me... :nananana:

As Mark would say....................."****".

Seriously though, it's particularly bad around the Cove Fort area.  I came through there in a snowstorm one time in a car.  The wind and blowing snow make the hills really nasty to deal with.

captainmarko said:
Me likey. Tell more.

It doesn't sound like OM wants me to say anything about the sudden torrential rain that turned instantly to HAIL...and, if that's the case, he probably also doesn't want me saying anything about the not so small marbles of ice that covered the road...and, then the water started running downhill alongside the road...until it overflowed onto the roadway...and we had to divert into the oncoming lane to avoid the lakes that had formed on our side of the highway...so, I won't mention any of that stuff...so...ummm...never mind... :rotflmao:

How about Chuckwalla Valley Racetrack for one of their race weekends?  I won't make the November round, and they are taking December off, but January....It's bitter cold, but they at least have a real shower building now....

I thought I saw the water running uphill! Didn't want to mention that either.

Think you may be right!

But, it was a great ride with good people nonetheless... :beerchug:

Palm Springs area sounds good to me.  :great:  Being in NorCal, I would like to have it close enough to do the ride in a day... :motonoises:  The Grapevine might not be agreeable with that time of year....... :-\

Gregg

Bur where's chuckwalla? Not opposed to Palm Springs but don't know any camping there. Suggestions?

Chuckwalla is about 1 hour past the Palm Desert area-the back route I take instead of slabbing up 15 to 10 (yuck) drops right through there, then 45 minutes or so East on 10 to the track.  You can run what you rode in on the trackdays Friday before the races on Saturday and Sunday-the TrackDayz folks are friends and are trying to talk me into taking off the bags, taping up the mirrors, unplugging the tail-light and taking it out on the track!  You can camp on the asphalt parking lot-everything from tents and sleeping in the back of pickups to super-class As that probably cost as much as my house!  Dry camping though.

We help grid and score during the races and do a chapel/bike blessings btw.

Bur said:
Chuckwalla is about 1 hour past the Palm Desert area-the back route I take instead of slabbing up 15 to 10 (yuck) drops right through there, then 45 minutes or so East on 10 to the track.  You can run what you rode in on the trackdays Friday before the races on Saturday and Sunday-the TrackDayz folks are friends and are trying to talk me into taking off the bags, taping up the mirrors, unplugging the tail-light and taking it out on the track!  You can camp on the asphalt parking lot-everything from tents and sleeping in the back of pickups to super-class As that probably cost as much as my house!  Dry camping though.

We help grid and score during the races and do a chapel/bike blessings btw.
Interesting. Any website?

Ping Jockey said:
OK...have y'all decided where and when? just let me know!!!
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on Parker AZ Craig. I'll post dates, location etc. next couple days. Prolly first 2 weeks of Dec. Bring your fishin pole. I might make ya'll dinner. Bur, you sound like you've got some connections at Chuckwalla. Any chance for a group discount for a future track day? Thread Hijack! Any interest from the SW area for a track day?

Ping Jockey said:
I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on Parker AZ Craig. I'll post dates, location etc. next couple days. Prolly first 2 weeks of Dec. Bring your fishin pole. I might make ya'll dinner. Bur, you sound like you've got some connections at Chuckwalla. Any chance for a group discount for a future track day? Thread Hijack! Any interest from the SW area for a track day?
That time of the year Parker is probably a good choice. I'll try to make the event but sleeping on the ground's not for me...sleeping at the Bluewater Resort is my idea of camping these days.  Check for campgrounds near the Bluewater.  I know they have RV spaces and the area around there is nice. There my be snowbirds also in Parker that time of year so make your reservations early unless you what to pitch a tent next to the road.

Bert

Parker, Az. sounds good for me too.  As long as I can get out of Flagstaff, always a gamble that time of year.  As far as track day interest, yes I'd like to get out there on a track and have at it.  Mark B

Great suggestion Bert. But............checked and no tent camping at the Blue water. Looks about 12 miles away. Also a Best Western there for 60 a night. I'll call River Island manyanna and see about res and group rates. If I get it nailed I'll start another thread as this one may be a bit misleading (I didn't do it on purpose.........swear) :)

Ping Jockey said:

Serious threadjack-if you come to the IMS in Long Beach, check your helmet and jacket with my CMA'ers at the check, leave your keys to your Connie for me to keep the engine warm for ya ( :hee20hee20hee:), and then talk with Dustin and Lilly at the Trackdayz booth.  I'll probably be there half the show either roaming or in the CMA booth.  They "are" Trackdayz and run the Friday track sessions for Chuckwalla.  We can run Connies if you tape them up and disable the taillight and must have a zip together or one piece suit. 

I'll try to ask them too.  Threadjack over.

Ping Jockey said:
OK, now were making progress. I'm leaving the land of the rising sun tomorrow and cant wait to go for a short (280 mile) ride.

See ya soon

Heres what I've got so far. Spoke to the park Manager today. Website http://azstateparks.com/Parks/RIIS/facilities.html Dates Dec. 13,14 and 15. Temps avg low mid 40's, highs avg mid 70's. Grass sites along the river bank. Sites are 25 a night 6 people max and 2 bikes. Each additional 2 bikes 15 a night (max 4 bikes per site but the manager seemed reasonable). You can make your res and cancel up to 24 hrs before arrival but will have to pay a 5 buck fee.  Showers and bathrooms. Running water and elec at site. Hotel 1 mile away. Market and deli 1/2 mile. IF we get 20 to come and play I'll make dinner Sat night for everybody and bring 5 $50 gift cards to raffle off. HAVE TO HIT 20 THOUGH so bring your friends! I'll get it on the calendar this weekend and start a separate thread posting a link here. What say you?

For those following this thread I pulled the plug on the river run due to it being to friggin' cold for 3 days in a tent. I'll try again at a uture (warmer) date.