• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

SW Area planning thread Trail to Tennessee 2014 SilverDammit

OMoaC

Let's get the party started. Here's the Old Mans VERY preliminary thoughts. Throw the old truck bed camper on and haul out (and back hopefully). The counterweight will probably fly in and out. I have a 18 foot flat bed trailer. Can hold 4 to 6 bikes me thinks. If anyone wants to jump in, get your bike to Henderson NV on the TBD departure date, send a quality front chock out to mount and share expenses let me know. Again, Very Preliminary.

I have an RV pad in the back and can even provide power if someone wants to toy-haul out to Prescott Valley then ride from here.  My home address is always available for shipping drop-off and signatures too.  :)

Mark, I'll need someone to mule this...And have it intact when it arrives at the nationals..

Attachments

• tap1.JPG
    tap1.JPG
    186.9 KB · Views: 129
  • Tap2.JPG
    Tap2.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 97
I had brought up the idea of trailering to the Bruces, but was accused of heresy.
Per chance does your preliminary route have you mo-tating through colorful Colorado?
I'm more than willing to purchase a chock if that's what it comes down to.
Are you also hauling the riders along or would they be on their own?
Maybe I should look into renting an RV capable of hauling a trailer carrying four - to six bikes and toss out the idea of splitting expenses for the trip....hmmm....

Haven't made a route yet. I'm sure it'll be somewhere in the vicinity. I've got a crew cab that seats 6 tightly and can carry a few. You just need to remember I'm a smoker, drinker, leader of men, lover of women and a surprisingly good dancer for a big man. :beerchug: :)

My GOD!

Trailering?!?!?!

:-X :-X :-X

Am I missing something?!?! Do they not sell beer where we're going? (Notice I said "we".)

Can we not rocket across this great land of ours with heads down and radar detectors up? Blasting through the night, hunched over like demons, striking fear into the heart of every convenience store worker from whom we purchase gas, as our appearances degrade with the miles. Eyes wild with the road, our stench going before us as we fumble for exact change to replenish the supply of Clif bars in our tank bags.

Are we not MEN!?!?!? Do we not crave the freedom of the open road?! The danger of seeing just how far we can actually ride and how fast we can cover those miles?

Six smelly bastards in a pickup truck sounds like my own personal hell. Is there no turning this tide of apathy?

captainmarko said:
My GOD!

Trailering?!?!?!

Am I missing something?!?! Do they not sell beer where we're going? (Notice I said "we".)

Can we not rocket across this great land of ours with heads down and radar detectors up? Blasting through the night, hunched over like demons, striking fear into the heart of every convenience store worker from whom we purchase gas, as our appearances degrade with the miles. Eyes wild with the road, our stench going before us as we fumble for exact change to replenish the supply of Clif bars in our tank bags.

Are we not MEN!?!?!? Do we not crave the freedom of the open road?! The danger of seeing just how far we can actually ride and how fast we can cover those miles?

Six smelly bastards in a pickup truck sounds like my own personal hell. Is there no turning this tide of apathy?

To quote George Takei - Oh my....

Seems we've hit a nerve.

Not sure from Vegas, but from Denver, it's a boring straight and hot 1,450 miles to JC.

I dunno, CM, you make it all sound so appealing....stinky, wild-eyed, exhausted, fumbling.....

:):):))

notsluggo said:
captainmarko said:
My GOD!

Trailering?!?!?!

Seems we've hit a nerve.

Not sure from Vegas, but from Denver, it's a boring straight and hot 1,450 miles to JC.

I dunno, CM, you make it all sound so appealing....stinky, wild-eyed, exhausted, fumbling.....

That is Funny Shiite. You keep me laughing like that across those 2 turns in Kansas I may reconsider.  :)) :)) :)) :))

If the choice to ride is made - there are routes across the southern edge of Kansas that are *nearly* scenic.  And pretty darn deserted too!  A good bike can pile on some serious miles right quick.
Then, southern Missouri is nice, pretty, etc...
But still - you're talking about three days each way - and long days at that.
This would not be a one-week trip.  More like ten days minimum (and probably 4,000 miles).

Quick first pass. 2K miles 1 way/500 mile days=4 days in and out Hmmmmmmmmmmm...........1k mile days hauling=2 day in and out. Damn decisions.

captainmarko said:
My GOD!

Trailering?!?!?!

captain,

I'd consider riding south to travel with you 'gents' after reading that depiction of how the trip could shake out.  That was some funny stuff!  :great:

Old Man on a Connie said:
notsluggo said:
captainmarko said:
My GOD!

Trailering?!?!?!

Seems we've hit a nerve.

That is Funny Shiite. You keep me laughing like that across those 2 turns in Kansas I may reconsider.  :)) :)) :)) :))

2? Did I miss one somewhere?

I could be convinced to hitch a ride.  I loved the long, scenic ride out to Cedar City, but as soon as we hit I-70 for the return trip, I was ready to be off the C14.  And that was only 5 hours.  I don't know if I can do 4 days of straight, boring, mind numbing roads.  ???

There is a possibility that I may be in that neck of the woods for a family reunion. i may have to trailer as far a Memphis, dropping off cargo (kids, maybe the significant other...we'll see) before a short quick 500 mile ride east :great:.
there is a possibility that if I trailer i could haul another bike and rider. we'll see as it gets closer.

Ping Jockey said:
There is a possibility that I may be in that neck of the woods for a family reunion. i may have to trailer as far a Memphis, dropping off cargo (kids, maybe the significant other...we'll see) before a short quick 500 mile ride east :great:.
there is a possibility that if I trailer i could haul another bike and rider. we'll see as it gets closer.

What would be your starting location, PJ?
There used to be a Wing rider around these parts with that same handle....

Mister Ping is out of San Diego. A good dude in a loose mood I had the pleasure to meet at the Nat and rode home thru WY,CO,NM and AZ with. Me? I'm still tossing it around but keep the thread going. Let's see what shakes out. You make plans yet Bruce? Renting that RV?

Not sure, OMC.
Me and the GF got an anniversary around that time, and I was thinking somewhere a bit more romantic.
If nothing comes of that - I may start to pester the Bruces to see what their collective input may contribute.

notsluggo said:
Not sure, OMC.
Me and the GF got an anniversary around that time, and I was thinking somewhere a bit more romantic.
If nothing comes of that - I may start to pester the Bruces to see what their collective input may contribute.
Sunset over the NM desert? Panorama in the sunflowers of Kansas? A foggy ride through the blue ridge? There's something more romantic? Hell, I'll chip in for candles!  :motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :) May want to exclude the Bruces though. 3's a crowd. :)

Latest word from the Herd. Expected attendance over 500. Current room res is over 111 (call the hotel direct. Do Not use the interweb sites for discount). Camping shuttle is arranged but there may be a fee except for Banquet night. Official rally reg to open Nov 1. Lots of industry participation and some great speakers lined up. Tire vendors and changing on site. A lot of focus is being generated on women's events and inclusion. Shaping up to be a great event. Almost time for the Old Man to pull the trigger one way or the other. There will be some serious COG history displayed here me thinks. Rumor of a C14 raffle. Oh My :-\

captainmarko said:
My GOD!

Trailering?!?!?!

This is spot on, love it.  :great:

If Steve can ride a KLR across the country in October, I can sure as hell ride my C14 across the country in June.  :motonoises:

With that avatar between your shoulder blades, you'd be turning around and riding your bike backwards. :eek:

And you can't shift with your your heel.

Unfortunately, the avatar will have to stay at home for this trip. It is just too big to fit in one of the side cases, and I could not bare separating them. The dry bag may work, but I don't think they will look the same after 2-3,000 miles without fresh air.  :rotflmao:

Now back to planning our routes. My tentative plan is to head to Seaside and then trek across the country to the East Coast somewhere so I can say I went coast to coast. I will visit my old man in Macon, GA and then back track to JC.

MAP

I am in Alamogordo, NM. Have an event in Hutto, TX on the 14th. Plan to leave there noon the 15th to Natchez and ride the Trace the 16th. Have always wanted to ride it. That would get me to the rally Tuesday the 17th, hopefully in the morning . Not a lot of time on the Trace, but time will be tight. Too much to see and too little time.

Gumby, What are your destinations and dates? I'm looking at Cortez Fri, Fort Smith AR Sat and rally central Sunday. Got a route back yet?

Gumby, What are your destinations and dates? I'm looking at Cortez Fri, Fort Smith AR Sat and rally central Sunday. Got a route back yet?
I have two two hundred landmarks to hit on the way to TN.

PlanA - I hope to ride out of Prescott with folks heading towards Colorado, then venture to Arkansas, meet up with Cliff and Jim (+8 or so more) and work our way to Johnson City. Dates undetermined at this time.

PlanB - improve upon PlanA!

Gumby said:
I have two landmarks to hit on the way to TN.
Dates or days? Gonna try to catch up with you somewhere west of Rally central would be cool. Or is it in your link and I'm missing it cause I r slow?

I thought you said you were going to trailer your bike. I do not have any plans set in concrete, I have tons of time to weave my way from AZ to TN. Would enjoy riding any stretch of the way with y'all.

We'll talk more as it gets closer, because every time I look at a map I change my mind.

Gumby said:
I thought you said you were going to trailer your bike. I do not have any plans set in concrete, I have tons of time to weave my way from AZ to TN. Would enjoy riding any stretch of the way with y'all.

We'll talk more as it gets closer, because every time I look at a map I change my mind.
Right! Wuz tossing both around. Decided I'd leg it. Especially if they have skin changing there. 4k round trip calls for some advil days but I'm up. Let's plan! Coming back to The Springs (Las Vegas) after the AZ Territorial and your welcome to crash out then to TN 4 days later. we need to get some miles on Jays black, green, red, black scoot.  :beerchug: Offer stands for anyone else that wants to tag along.  :motonoises:

I took a look at this route this morning on Google maps. This is a very aggressive three day trip, the exact reason I took a MONTH off to ride SLOWLY (ok I ride fast, but not that far each day) to the Nationals. I like to start early, but I am drinking beer by 3:00PM on most days so 300-500 miles a day is good for me.  :beerchug:

I have two weeks to get from Prescott to Johnson City, then I have one week to get home. Let's pick up this discussion in Prescott and nail down some good roads to ride together.  :motonoises:

We'll be talking before then but yeah, advil and Tylenol run. Can't get any more time off from the job that actually pays.  :))

Wangled Thurs off from the paying work so working on about 500 per to hit TN on Sun. Got your email. Will reply tonight. You thinking about stretching those K legs?

So I have Brad Man (CRocker) on the hook. I'm reeling real slow and feeding out line to wear him out. Got the drag set, just toying the lure so far. I need your help getting him in the boat. Should I A. Yank his dentures out and land him, B. Play him nice and gentle with easy nudges to get him closer before I employ the gaff, C. Chum the water with a free breakfast offer (which I can play at a later date or have the free hotel continental Bfast, Call it good and say that's what I meant). What say you SW?
:motonoises: :great: :beerchug: :) :))

Hey Old Man

for your journey of pain headed East, If you go an extra 75 miles on day two, you can get your IBA Saddle Sore!!!

Ping Jockey said:
Hey Old Man

for your journey of pain headed East, If you go an extra 75 miles on day two, you can get your IBA Saddle Sore!!!
Yeah, that got nixed after a few seconds of deep introspection (Inner head conversation. Brain "I'm in. You guy's?" The A$$ voted no!, as well as the hips,elbows back, kidneys and liver) I need my liver.  :))