• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

synthetic oil, how soon????

Have a specific question which does NOT involve what brand or type of oil!!! :) I use a particular brand of sythetic oil in all my engines. I will be bringing my new 2009 C14 home next week. How long do I need to wait before I make the switch over to synthetic oil. Is the 600 service too soon? Any advice would be great, I don't want to cut the break-in too short. Thanks!

I think this is one of those questions it takes some real experimentation to answer so you will get all kinds of answers but not much backing proof. I have heard to wait 5k or so to switch and others say you can switch right away. Without real proof I do not see the harm in waiting but then again I do not see the harm in doing it at 600 either. ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

Thanks, Bob. I will add up all the responses and that should give me a pretty good idea. I want to switch as soon as possible (600) but want to make sure no one has had any bad experiences due to switching over too soon. Being one of the new kids on the block I want to hear from some knowledgable owners who know these bikes inside and out. Kind of fun though having to learn a new bike... keeps the brain cells fresh!

Holy Cow!!!!!!!!! Just read the "More then you wanted to know about oil from Mark Lawrence" on the C10 links. Damn..LOL! I think that pretty well covers it! For anyone who hasn't read it yet, it's a good read. However, a few good opinions still won't hurt any. Thanks!

If there's one thing I've learned from the Concours Owner's Group, it's that there can never be enough said about oil! Or tires!

That article pushes the limit for what you can take in one day though. It is a good article and it is linked in the Maintenance Links section in the members area and here... http://calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

For definitive answers on all questions related to oil, I would suggest you go visit this site. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/ It has by far some of the most accurate and comprehensive oil info of any site I have found on the internet, as well as entire forums dedicated to oil topics. If you can't find your answer there, you probably won't find it.

Hey, here's a good oil question for all the petroleum engineers out there: My kid rides a 2-cycle dirt bike. I think that because the oil is used exactly once to lubricate the guts of the motor, it doesn't matter what the heck kind of oil he uses. Any decent 2-stroke oil is fine. He likes to to go for the hi-priced stuff. What is the correct answer? (I know: Get a 4-stroke!) [/highjack] Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

Daniel what I am about to recommend is not my opinion but that of my brother. Why his view and not my own? He has been a motorcycle mechanic for over 30yrs. 1st with Yamaha and now with with Suzuki. He said that the oil that comes is not the break-in oil.It is the same oil that the dealer uses. The true break-in oil is the oil you add after the 600 mile service.The reason for the quick oil change the first time is to remove most of the medal shaving from the engine. The oil you add at this service is truly the break-in oil. It should be the recommended oil by Kawasaki and should be left in the engine until the next recommended oil change. This is the oil that will seat all your rings and all other parts to what the engineers designed the engine for. Then you can change to your desired oil. I know that a lot of folks don't agree with this but I trust his opinion. Also He has been acknowledged as one of Suzuki's top mechanics in the US by Suzuki of USA Corp.

You can put either synthetic or petroleum oil in any engine, at any time regardless of mileage as long as the viscosity and API rating matches what the manual says. If there was a concern about using synthetics at any time, your manual would have said so. JMHO Dan

Makes sense. Have found some articles that also say makes no difference. If I average ~50mph for the first 600 miles at 3K RPM (low estimate) that is equal to 2.2 MILLION revolutions of the engine. I find it hard to believe that the engine can't polish and seal itself after more than 2 million revolutions with today's engineering and quality. I may be wrong, and DON'T claim to be making an expert statement. Just saying what makes sense to me. I will be going to Amsoil at the 600 mile service.