• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

synthetic

mtc1966

Moped
so the dealer suggests switching to synthetic after the 600 mile break in. sounds like a good idea to me is this what the majority has done as well ?

Lots of schools of thought here.  I waited until about 5 thousand easyish miles.  In theory, there should be no problems even is you bought a bike brand new and dumped the oil for synth before you even started it.  Although that would be a waste as you will collect a lot of particulates within the first couple hundred miles as everthing wears in. 

Let the battle begin.  >:D

I don't think it matters either way. But I personally wait until about 3K or so and then switch over to Mobil 1. My thinking is it may allow the engine to break in a little easier on dino oil. But like I said, it probably doesn't make a different. Sometimes I may use a synthetic blend in between 600 mile and the full change over at 3-4K.

I found it interesting that the service department at the dealership where I purchased my C-14, said to use regular oil and save money.  Not sure yet if I will follow that advice.  I tend toward synthetics.

GVmerle said:
I found it interesting that the service department at the dealership where I purchased my C-14, said to use regular oil and save money.  Not sure yet if I will follow that advice.  I tend toward synthetics.

If you follow the REST of their advice and change the oil every 3000 miles whether it needs it or not (it probably doesn't) then you should use the cheap stuff.  LOL

Modern machining, components and assembly virtually eliminates "break in". You can switch at any time without worry.

MKorn said:
if no break in ... then why must i keep it below 4,000 and then 6,000?

just curious

That's a good question. I broke in my C14 according to manufacturer's instructions, Which really does suck as far a the fun factor goes! I used dino oil until 3-4K, then switched to Mobil 1 4T. And of course my motor ran flawlessly for well over 20K miles for it. (while I had it)
But with the Yamaha, it has no break in recommendations. Although I didn't totally beat on the bike, I didn't have to worry about not using the motor's power band either. So with the FJR, I switched over to synthetic at 400 miles. The FJR motor also seems to run flawlessly.

I havent beat on the C14 ... but i do crack the throttle open now and again ... and i have ran it up to 121 and 125 another time.

i havent taken it over 7500 rpms yet and that was in 3rd gear.  It was impossible for me to keep it below 4k but i did manage to keep it below 6k ... most of the time.    :)

I am going to switch to synthetic at 1000 miles.

Necron99 said:
GVmerle said:

If you follow the REST of their advice and change the oil every 3000 miles whether it needs it or not (it probably doesn't) then you should use the cheap stuff.  LOL

No, their advice was to change it at 7500 miles.  Their take was do what the manufacturer recommends and no more.

I changed the factory oil out at 150 miles and changed to Amsoil 10w-40.  I only waited this long because I just HAD to ride it a ways the minute I picked it up, and just couldn't stop until I had 150 on it.  I have broken-in 3 new motorcycle engines and 5 new cars/engines with Amsoil from the start.  Also another half a dozen small engines (mowers, pressure washers, etc).  All broke-in beautifully.  It is a common misconception that engines won't break-in on a good synthetic.  The higher quality lubrication, the better the break-in.

What you do NOT want to do is use any kind of additive.  Bad for the engine and probably not good for the clutches. 

Honda advises all their dealership service departments not to switch over to synthetic oil on their motorcycles until after 8K miles.

Though I can't say if it genuinely makes any difference or not. There are some out there that claim micro-polishing of various bearing surfaces occurs in the first few thousand miles, and that synthetic oil can hinder this polishing process, but I've never seen any hard evidence to prove or disprove it.

Check out this website for break in information that will blow you away. Can't wait to get the reaction from the forum. Oh sign up for free issues at the bottom right of the page and check out the information on bearings. The only part of the engine that needs to seat are the piston rings. Breaking the motor in easy is the worst way to accomplish this.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Honda advises all their dealership service departments not to switch over to synthetic oil on their motorcycles until after 8K miles.

Though I can't say if it genuinely makes any difference or not. There are some out there that claim micro-polishing of various bearing surfaces occurs in the first few thousand miles, and that synthetic oil can hinder this polishing process, but I've never seen any hard evidence to prove or disprove it.

Is this in a published TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) with documented substantiation or just a memo or phone call to the dealers?

Also, the respective service manuals should also state this poilcy - in writing. Otherwise it is just anectodal hearsay.

If this is a documented position I would like to know exactly why they take it. I have found nothing at all to support the position of not using properly API rated synthetic lubricants in any engine, transmission or drive housing at any time of the vehicle's life.

Dan