• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Tactical Shorts/ under armor

Anyone wear the armored shorts such as Knox Armor Defender protection shorts, Klim Tactical Shorts, Icon Field Armor Shorts under their blue jeans?

Thinking of wearing Carhard  Double front pants and adding some armored underwear for riding in warmer weather.  I have some Joe Rocket mesh riding pants with armor and padding, but wanting to try something else.

Undertaker,
            I tried to get some under armor for under my jeans but alas they would not sell them to me as I am too tall (6'4"). They said the armor would not line up in my knees etc.
  As far as just shorts or underwear goes, I don't think it is that much of a difference versus armored jeans/ too hot for summer. I also have leather pants for crazy riding or doubling up my jean protection during the winter.  Do you have a link for the underwear?  I want to take a look but I think it would be hard at rest stops and awfully hot.

Thanks ZG. anything under $50.00 usually flies with the wife. I have a 33 waist, what would you suggest for size?  33 or 34? Do they run big or small?

ACISROC said:
  Thanks ZG. anything under $50.00 usually flies with the wife. I have a 33 waist, what would you suggest for size?  33 or 34? Do they run big or small?

I think they run a little small IMO, I'm a 33 waist and went with XL and they fit me just right, mostly because I don't like things super tight right around my waist when riding LD, the thighs fit me good and are not loose...

???

I may be a little dense, but are these meant as actual shorts or underwear? I always thought underwear, but I'm never quite sure.  :-[

Cap'n Bob said:
I may be a little dense, but are these meant as actual shorts or underwear? I always thought underwear, but I'm never quite sure.  :-[

I dunno Cap- but I am wearing mine under the jeans and may even stuff a sock in front!

I use the Bohn Adventure pants under jeans or Sliders Cargo pants. They're full length though, so maybe not what you're looking for. They are warm in Florida summer but so is anything else except for the cage with A/C!

Yeah Bohn adventure pants, not made for tall people I called and asked them.  ???

Eddie-FL is cool :great: :great: :great:

ACISROC said:
Cap'n Bob said:

I dunno Cap- but I am wearing mine under the jeans and may even stuff a sock in front!

Hi,
      I'm 6'8" tall! ;D

Does that mean I will need TWO socks in front???  :-[

Attachments

• Motorcycles+and+Girls+%28bsteady.blogspot.com%2921.jpg
    Motorcycles+and+Girls+%28bsteady.blogspot.com%2921.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 166
  Seagiant1
                  No socks if you  tape that picture of  motorcycle babes to face you on your windshield!  :rotflmao:

Seagiant1 is a cool GIANT :great: :great: :great:

Hi,
      All BS aside, I don't really need shorts with built in armour as my Motoport Gear has it already, and my jeans wouldn't fit with it if I wanted to try that??? ;D

I might try the plain ones ZG links to, probably would feel better on long rides, better than just regular Hanes! :great:

Attachments

• wallpaper756626.jpg
    wallpaper756626.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 160
They're not armored but Cyclegear sells some reasonably priced underarmor knockoffs called Heatgear.  I bought long john type bottoms to wear under my mesh gear and they work pretty well.  I wear underarmor boxer briefs underneath.  They really help in the hot weather.

Terrynyc said:
They're not armored but Cyclegear sells some reasonably priced underarmor knockoffs called Heatgear.  I bought long john type bottoms to wear under my mesh gear and they work pretty well.  I wear underarmor boxer briefs underneath.  They really help in the hot weather.

I use the Bilt Arma riding shorts I bought from CycleGear. $30. When I combine them with my mesh riding pants, it's close to just wearing shorts for the breeze, but gives me full torso protection.

Terrynyc said:

+1 - Heat-Out is the name, and they're always on sale....  With any airflow, you can feel the difference...  I have the shorts and the "long-johns" - work very well...

http://www.cyclegear.com/nav/brand/heatout/0

Jamie

http://ldcomfort.com/

These LD Comfort Shorts are not armored but they made long hot rides tolerable for me and the wife. They are gender specific and also come in sizes so they are not too tight.

We each got two sets and I got her the tops as well. We also got the Cool Sleeves and wore the combo under Tourmaster Intake Mesh jackets and Rukka Allroad (me) or 1st Gear Mesh pants (her). She thanked me over and over for getting the LD Comfort stuff for her as we traveled on a hot multiday trip. We just wet the sleeves at fuel stops and even though it wouldn't last long in the desert (maybe 45 minutes) we never suffered ill effects because we had LOTS of ice water onboard (camelbacks) and we worked the evaporative cooling to maximum benefit with the LD Comfort undergarments. I also got 2 sets each of the LD socks but realized they are merely DRYMAX branded over the calf Heavy Duty Boot Socks made in size ranges and distributed by LD Comfort.

Regardless, I found these products are worth every penny if you are going all day in the saddle. Commuting and short rides? Probably a bit of overkill. But I will never plan on leaving for a long ride without them now that I know the benefits. No sweaty clammy skin ANYWHERE. It basically leaves you feeling much fresher for extended rides which translates to more happy hours in the saddle.

Would I spend $250 on underwear for an 11 day trip with the wife again? Heck YEAH! These are perfectly suited for the purpose...

I have tried several different underpants including some of my old bicycling spandex pants and while improved over regular cotton boxers, etc. I found nothing to compare with the LD Comfort Shorts... they are perfect for me. (Unless you are younger/leaner with a "six pack" don't get them too small, go one size bigger if you are in between) i.e. if you measure 39 waist like me get the 40-42 size. You will thank me later... LD Comfort recommends going a size smaller but I disagree... But I am older and softer than I used to be!

Plenty of choices for riding underpants. But this is my DOS CENTAVOS.